Insulted by gunsmith

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
I have an 1100 magnum that I use quite frequently when duck hunting. The gun is from the early 80s and I inherited it from my dad. A new gunsmith has opened shop around here, and he's a young kid, and one of the only smiths in my county so I thought I'd take the 1100 to him for a full strip down and cleaning. Now, this is a duck gun for me. It's been through a good number of storms, used as a wading stick, dropped in the water, and seen it's share of boat bottoms. About 6 years ago I stripped the thing donw myself and had a hell of a time getting it all back together, so I basically run a boresnake through the barrel, and spray out the trigger mechanism and the reciever with gun scrubber, and call it done.

The gunsmith called me. He said it was the filthiest gun he has ever seen. Now he's young, so I took that as being pretty good. But when he said the O ring AND the gas piston were missing, I felt a little embarrased. He said the gunshould have stopped functioning a while ago. I told him that a good number of ducks fell to it this past season, as well as seasons previous. Sure it kicked a little harder that usual, and did occasionally jam, but what 1100 doesn't? I mean, they are tempermental guns, right? He said it was one of the older 1100s and more reliable than guns made in the late 80s-early 90s. He said the fact that it still cycled shells and worked basically well was astonishing. He said he would fix it all up nice and slick with new parts (the ones that were missing) and clean it real well, but I thought....why mess with a good thing??

Well, she was due for a good cleaning anyways, and I guess a gas piston in place will help with cycling and felt recoil, so what the heck. But dang it if I ain't proud of my old Remington. Here she is with 2 of the finest fowl a man could ever hope to drop.

Attachments

solus

Reaction score
and you call that an insult? I would take pride in a gun that isnt supposed to be working but still does some how. that just shows that you actually use it unlike other people who just buy nice guns just to have one

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
I'm surprised. I shoot a pump gun because my experiece with semi-autos is, even when things are perfect, and they should work fine, they don't for me. My pumps always throw the steel downrange, no matter what. I'm a big boy so the recoil isn't a problem.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
All he said was it was the filthiest gun he has ever seen. Based on what you posted, that was less of an insult and more of a factual statement. The Price Of Clarity Is The Risk Of Insult.

FoCoHugh

JHO Team Member
Reaction score
I'm pissed when my guns remain clean all season. It means they didn't see the field. He was probably jealous that his were still shiny.

marinfire1

Reaction score
if its the same guy im thinking of in BMK hes a great guy and does a really good job with the guns ive had him do. also i think hes the most fair priced guy around here

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
Oh wow. I was making a joke guys. I guess I should have titled the thread differently. Of course I didn't actually take it as an insult. Holy Merde.

Marinfire yeah his shop is in BMK. Great guy and I'm really happy that there is someone knowledgeable and reliable close to home.

freezer

Reaction score
I stripped my Beretta and Mossberg all the way down mid season and after the season ended. Ya gota love a gun that keeps on ticking. I was excited to see pictures of ducks again, I haven't seen one since the season ended so I enlarged it. SPOONIES:smiley_doh: I should have known :shake-head-blue:

Last edited:

solus

Reaction score
lol I knew they were spoonies without enlarging...I have a bigger screen I guess

marinfire1

Reaction score
i forgot to ask you, what did he charge for the full shotgun clean up?

johndoe

Reaction score
Whats wrong with spoonies?? I shot a few of em myself last season.... If it flys it dies :p

Orygun

Reaction score
I should do a break down and clean. Way back when the refuges were my main gunning spot aI spent liots of time mixing it up with cattails. Fund out that cattail fluff and a little moisture in single digit temps will render a firing pin useless.

db 183

Reaction score
Dude - If I broke mine down and cleaned it I would remove the mud that holds it all together like a natural adhesive. With your new parts, that gun is going to feel brand new.

PS - those really are the finest waterfowl a man can shoot.

DuckFever

Reaction score
Spoonies in the picture with a nice gun like that? Really?

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
Yes really. It's a duck gun, and spoonies are ducks. Oh, here's another one that might cater to your elitist sensibilities.

He charged $90.00 for the full breakdown and cleaning, $120.00 all told with the new parts installed. He also offered to replace the old buttstock and foregrip with new camo ones at $90.00, which I thought was a fair price, but I declined.

Attachments

crackerman

Reaction score
Bux when did you add the stocks I have an 1100 from 78 but with a newer remchoke barrel.y problem is all the sync stocks I see say for post 86 guns. Were your sticks added after 86?

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
I bought my stock setup from Cabelas. It's a factory Remington replacement, as is my aftermarket Remchoke barrel. I added them about 5-6 years ago. The gun itself is pre-'86, like '81 I think. The stocks fit fine. The forearm isn't completely snug, but it's barely noticeable to me.

longduck

Reaction score
gotta love those Hollywood mallards!!!!!! :smiley-mouse:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom