Interest in hunting, fishing dropping

code3punk

Reaction score
STOWE, Vt. - Bob Shannon is an avid hunter, a fishing guide and owns a tackle shop, but he sometimes struggles to get his own son out into Vermont's woods and fields.

"He'll be sitting there with the video games," Shannon said of 9-year-old Alexander. "I finally had to lay down the law last summer: 'If it's a nice day, you're outside.'"

Admin mode

Code3, due to copyright laws we cannot not allow members here to post full articles without the owner's permission. You can post 2 parargraphs and a link. I edited your post so that it's only 2 paragraphs so please post a link to the article if you have it. Thanks.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
The article does not mention it but I feel that there are other factors leading to a decline in hunting and fishing.
Most hunting takes place with a firearm. Yet all over our country it's getting more and more difficult to acquire and use firearms. It's getting increasingly difficult to find a place to practice with those firearms. The range in Irvine is long gone, now San Gabriel Canyon is gone. There is West End or Lytle Creek, but that's a godawful long drive for many people just to check some loads. And the price of gas doesn't make it any easier.
Access is another issue. I don't remember too many new places opening up for hunting, but I believe there have been quite a few that have been closed to hunting for one reason or another.
Fishing isn't any better. Local piers are horribly crowded for less quality fish than ever. Partyboats are a joke and cost more and more each year. Restrictions are being talked about on some species, and while it's been awhile since I checked, aren't there some areas along the coast where you can't fish, too? For me, unless I want to go pay to fish at Santa Ana River Lakes, I'm in for a long drive to any possibility of good freshwater fishing. Then you run into that price of gas thing again.

I admire people that still hunt and fish. They've got a lot of dedication and drive. For others, it's getting more and more difficult to get out there.

Guy

tradman

Reaction score
I agree with Grey. I was actually thinking about this exact topic during my commute this morning. It's really all about access and convenience. Mind you Vermont is probably a lot better than California.

I get out and shoot my bows as often as I can, but to shoot firearms for me is a MAJOR production and a fairly significant expense. Where I live in Marin county, the closest place for me to legally shoot outside is Chabot, which is a good 30 miles and 45 minutes away. With the cost of gas and tolls, range fees and ammo costs (I'll usually bring at least 3-4 different caliber firearms to make the trip worthwhile) I'm probably looking at around $100. I go when I can, but I really do have to consider the expense of time and money. And that's just for sighting in and target shooting, never mind hunting.

I love to hunt and fish and will continue to do for as long as I can, but I can sort of understand why our numbers are waning.

1fitspirit

Reaction score
I live in San Diego, and there are only 2 outdoor areas you can legally shoot - one on BLM land outside of Jacumba, and the other North of Ramona (which is still closed after the recent fires). The Jacumba area is 70 miles from my house. There are no fees other than the gas to get out there.

I have tried to get my friends to go with me to shoot, and the younger ones would rather go bar hopping or surfing. It seems like there are fewer and fewer young folks that grew up in the country. All the city boys and girls know about guns is what they read. The abhor the thought of killing animals, and will argue against it, endlessly, when munching on hamburgers and fish tacos...

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
My boys like to go hunting with me, but I just can't seem to get them motivated to take hunter safety.

scottymack

Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky, I have 3 ranges withing 20 minutes and we can shoot in the national forest for free.

We have alot of interest, I added 7 more Hunter Ed Classes

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom