Interested In A 50 cal?

jdhowe75

Reaction score
Maybe this topic has been visited before and I might not get any responses but I have to tell you all how I really feel.

I am an NRA member and have been for many years. I got a "Grass Roots" email this morning regarding the 50 cal ban set to be voted on by the California legislature.

Here is the question: "Does anyone really need a 50 BMG in their safe?"

I mean, come on. I have over 25 firearms in my house and I use each one of them. Each of them is designed either for hunting, sporting clays, target shooting or self defense. Each firearm has it's purpose. I have never had occasion to need a 50 cal. and see no immediate need to own one in the future. Now you may say: "It all starts with one firearm and then leads to another and another...".

Part of me thinks: "How dare they!" and then I think: "Who cares!"

I think that we should have the opportunity to own a part of history if the chance presents itself, such as owning a 50 BMG from WWII. To those that apply for the propper federal and local permits or a C&R FFL. But to have a single or mag fed 50 cal that serves no real purpose other than an expinsive plinker (or to impress Reba MacEntyre (Hotty-Hotty)
- Tremors!), what's the point? $3.79 per round! Save your money!

Bottom line I would vote against and weapon ban but shouldn't we pick out battles a little more carefully?

-jd

Backcountry

Reaction score
Originally posted by jdhowe75@Aug 1 2004, 10:25 AM
shouldn't we pick our battles a little more carefully?
If I'm wrong please forgive my misunderstanding; however, you seem to be suggesting we let the anti's win this one since .50 caliber weapons aren't that popular/useful/sporting/etc...

On the contrary, I think ALL gun owners should fight this asinine legislation tooth-and-nail and work to stop ALL further gun control legislation from EVER passing... not just here in occupied Kalifornistan but everywhere. Once a right is taken away it is rarely returned. The gun grabbers only have to win once to win permanently... we have to win every time or we continue to lose ground. This is not a fallacious slippery slope argument, this is reality... give up one style of weapon and the screeching million mommies will simply move on to the next evil gun that they want banned. If they get the .50’s banned, I can guarantee you that your sniper rifle (i.e., deer rifle with scope) or street sweeper (i.e., any shotgun you happen to own) will be next on their hit list. These people are CRAZY… they hate guns like Michael Moore hates the USA. Why not spend the next ten years fighting the anti’s over a .50 caliber ban if that postpones them from attempting to take your sporting clays shotgun that much longer?

Personally, I think any legislation to ban .50 caliber weapons is a PERFECT place to draw a line in the sand. .50 caliber weapons ARE NOT used in crimes, they ARE NOT a useful tool for criminals, they exists in significantly fewer numbers than all other weapons types, they are extremely expensive, and their ammunition is expensive. If we accept those statements as being true then we must also accept that banning them would do nothing but make the screeching million mommies happy, and would have zero effect on crime or terrorism, while at the same time incrementally infringing on law abiding firearms owner’s rights to collect and recreate as they please. Let me spell it out for you… feel good laws that infringe on the people’s rights are bad, even if it’s not your rights that are being infringed upon.

After Islamic terrorism, I sincerely believe gun control is the most serious evil facing America and free Americans today.

Backcountry

Disclaimer: Except for my time in the military, I have never fired a .50 caliber weapon, nor do I know anyone that owns one of these weapons (but I wish I did). There are MANY guns I would buy before I purchased a .50 caliber rifle. It’s the principle that we must fight for, not individual firearm types.

jdhowe75

Reaction score
I TOTALLY agree. Not fighting the anti's was not my intended statement. As I said on the bottom of the post I would vote against ANY weapon ban. I just get so frustrated with these stupid little battles but I guess that this is how the anti's think that they will win the war. That is aslo why I take a proactive approach to stopping them. Writting my elected officials, NRA donations, purchasing hunting and fishing licenses with tags and stamps, voting on election day and the like.

You are correct on another point also: 50 cal are almost never, if ever, used in crimes.

This whole conversation just goes to show how stupid the whole gun ban legislation is.

Sorry just venting!

-jd

Backcountry

Reaction score
No appology necessary... it was me that misunderstood you (like I thought I would). Glad we're on the same wavelength, and rest assured it's not just the two of us.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and if you get a chance, blast off a few rounds of something... do it for the children!

Backcountry

GM4X

Reaction score
I don't want anyone, especially the government telling me what I "need".

Sure, I may not need a blown & injected 500cid motor in my 1982 Chevette......I just WANT one (and no, I don't have one.....just an example).

It was always my "impression" that was what was so great about this country........freedom of choice. Guess nobody said who's choice.......

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Don't think for one minute that all they want to do is ban "assault rifles" or .50 cal BMG's. Their ulitimate goal is to remove ALL firearms from the hands of law abiding people.

GM4X

Reaction score
Fullsack- EXACTLY! They also seem to be under the misconception that the "bad guys" will also play by the rules as well.

Firearms are just the tip of the iceberg, this type of governmental "control" will be imposed into every aspect of our lives once the ball gets rolling full-speed.

This sort of thing needs nipped in the bud to show it will NOT be tolerated. Who does this country belong to......the millions of taxpaying citizens that support it.....or a (very large) handful of self-serving politicians on a powertrip?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom