Interesting Broadhead

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Ask SDHNTR... I'm sure he has one in his quiver!!! Looks like another gadget head to me. I'll stick to my Muzzy's. Ed F

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
Gimmick! I'll stick to the SteelHead for a Mech and Striker for fixed....

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Eat my shorts Ed.

I too think that if you want to shoot a mechanical the Steelheads are a great way to go, but the Trophy Ridge Undertaker is bad arse too. I think that for a mechanical the design is just about flawless. This Trufire head is really just a knock off of the Undertaker. If I were inclined to use one of these, I'd definitely stick with the original.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Yeah SD, you are a huge broadhead whore.

I agree for mechs the steelhead is about top teets, especially the steelhead xp.

Those new fangled mechs are interesting, but besides the tried and true designs I question their ability to stay closed till impact, and especially wonder the pain in the butt of dealing with a quiver and removing, replacing ten times a day while hunting.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
AZ Jim, No doubt the broadhead looks like it'll work. Is it an improvement over proven broadheads?? Only time will tell. Broadheads are like fishing lures. Always a little different each season.

Here are a few expandables from the 50's. I'm thinking about trying the one in the middle. What do you think Nate?? Naa, I'm gonna stick with my Muzzy's!!!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
That is an awesome pic. The one in the middle looks gnarly. What's up with the one with the wheel?

It's amazing how far archery technology has come, some of us (Ed) just refuse to accept it and like to shoot broadheads so prone to plane that they come complete with flapping wings. You tried the MX3 and/or MX4 yet?

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I'm shooting the MX3. Awsome 1 1/4" killer head. If your broadheads plane, your bow is out of tune, plain and simple. You either tune your bow or go to a smaller head, sacrificing a whole bunch in the process. Right??? Ed F

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Wrong. Regardless of tune, wind can also make broadheads plane, so can a slightly punched trigger or torqued bow in the heat of the moment. My bow will shoot everything from field points, to Wac'ems to Montecs to yes, Muzzys, all to the same point of impact. It's as tuned as it gets and I have 100% confidence in it. I just choose the compact 1 1/8" heads that buck the wind and are more forgiving. I doubt any of us have perfect form after chugging up a hill and taking an extended shot. I like all the forgiveness I can get. To compare extremes, I'd rather shoot a 1" head that I was confident I could place where it needs to be than a 1.5" head that flew less accurately. Personally, and within reason, accuracy gives me more confidence than cutting diameter. I'll gladly give up 1/8" (but not much more) in exchange for more precision.

Weren't you the one who said he never could get his broadheads to fly like his field points so you just adjust your sights? That means your bow is out of tune, plain and simple. Right???

Where's bearclaw to back me up on this? He loves picking on his elders.

Actually, in all seriousness, I think the MX line is a huge improvement over the originals as far as flight design. You are slowly coming over to the dark side.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
How did I get drawn into this.

I use muzzys. Though only to ensure my bow is dead nuts as the original 125gr muzzys fly as straight as the Osprey, military version on biological version. If my bow throws field points, good broadheads, and muzzys same point that bow is beautimus magnanimus.

I respect my elders but realize old bad habits die hard.

I love those old mechs Ed, awesome photo. Is that the quiver load you are taking to Kodiak?

I have personally come close to moving to mechs to get the huge cutting diameter without the crappy performance in the wind of a fixed head of same diameter, but always come back to solid one piece fixeds. I wish the Hellrazor and Snuffer SS were out before I committed to so many Montecs, a solid, sharp out of the package, American welded broadhead makes me smile.

BDB

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bearclaw @ May 8 2008, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wish the Hellrazor and Snuffer SS were out before I committed to so many Montecs, a solid, sharp out of the package, American welded broadhead makes me smile.[/b]
Do you find them sharp enough out of the package? My only 2 beefs with the Montecs is price and sharpness. I have yet to find one out of the package that will shave hair. They are pretty sharp and only take about 5-10 mins with each new head to be shaving sharp. The wife comments that I look like I have mange before every hunt. BH's and knives need to shave hair before they go in the pack.

richardoutwest

Reaction score
It seems that everyone is trying to get over the penetration deploy thing. I will wait till they go on sell at Wal-Mart and try them out on Javies! I will try just about anything on Javies

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
No, my sharp out of package comment and welded stuff was the hellrazors and SS are, Montecs are not.

But they are a solid head and I like them, but also am too deep in them to turn back yet. I have 20 something, heck I may have 30.

Raully

Reaction score
I actually got to check one out and hold it. Didn't get to shoot it though. It was a demo broadhead (Trufire Switchblade). Looks to gimmickie for me. I dont like the way the blades deploy and it doesnt look like it would leave any bigger whole than a large fixed blade. After this last weekend its Rage 2-blade Broadheads for me.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Holy crap SDHNTR. I knew I should have added more info in my post, just to pacify you. If you wanna factor in wind, then every broadhead will be effected by more than just it's cutting diameter (weight, design, blade vents...). Punched trigger and torqued bow... I'm just gonna throw those in with a bow that's out of tune. I'm not the guy that changes his sights to shoot field points. I just shoot broadheads with perfect arrow flight and good groups. If my field points hit that spot that's great. If they don't then I don't touch a thing. I'm gonna cry foul when you say that all those broadheads and field point hit the same point of impact. Too many different influences on that same arrow... can't be so. If you are considering a pie plate at 30 yards, a point of impact, I'll agree with you. Step back to 60 yards and tell me if they shoot the same. If it works for you and makes you confident, I'm happy for you. Ed F

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bearclaw @ May 8 2008, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah SD, you are a huge broadhead whore.[/b]

What!?!?!?
I would have never gussed and he mentioned nothing about this during our quality time in the blind....

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Oh yes, and it doesn't stop there.

I hear he has a secret duck decoy collection the likes we have only seen out of the entire combined Primos staff.

But I didn't say so.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Hell no, I don't even own a duck call much less any damn decoys.

Come on Ed, you know I'm just razzin ya. Obviously your system works and I'm just pushin your buttons. But bring your pie plate to the broadhead shoot! In all honesty, I sample so many different broadheads because I can't settle on one. I've yet to find complete satisfaction. Some have features I like, but they all have something I don't like.

Wac'ems have weak blades and not enough meat locking them into the ferrule. The last two deer I shot lost two blades each time. Nitrons shoot awesome but I don't like the dull tip and the steep blade angle. Slick Tricks whistle and their machining isn't always perfect so I've had some wobblers. Montecs whistle like mad and aren't as sharp out of the package as they could or should be. I'm going to give the Striker a test run but I don't like the fact that they totally ripped off the Wac'em design. I do like the fact that the blades are thicker than the Wac'ems, hopefully solving the breaking blades issue I've had with them. As I mentioned, Muzzy's just aren't as forgiving as I'd like and I've always had to mix and match blades and sort them to get ones that spin true. I have not yet tried the MX series but I'd definitely give them a shot. I've had similar issues with Thunderheads. Next on the trial list are the Rocket Ultimate Steels. Supposedly they've fixed the previous issues with blade retention and lack of threads on the ferrule so I'm eager to give them a try.

If someone could make an all steel broadhead that shot true, didn't whistle, was strong as hell, sharp out of the package, and that didn't cost a kidney I'd be all over it and I might stop being such a broadhead whore.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
IF you stopped being a broadhead whore then I would be the biggest broadhead whore on JHO, and I got called enough names growing up.

I really like the hellrazor and SS, solid american welded steel that comes out of the package sharp as they should be.

Ed you have taken more critters this year than I will this decade so you are the man, you just shoot weak broadheads made from pennies and beer cans.

Just funnin ya.

Top Bottom