Interesting Reservation Information

JustBob

Reaction score
On the back of the letter included with the annual reservation form is the odds for the Refuges.
Toughest 5 by odds

Little Dry Creek      1 in 51.7
Joice Island            1 in 50.7          
Delevan                 1 in 44.7
Merced                   1 in 31.2
Sacramento            1 in 30.9

Wister was     1 in 10.3 (hard to believe)
Overall odds were 1 in 10

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Seeing that I haven't received my form yet, where did Kern and Mendota fall on the list?

JustBob

Reaction score
Just got mine today.
Kern was 1 in 28.1
Mendota was  1 in 1.7 (great odds) it was the 2nd easiest to get a rezzie for. China Island was first with 1 in 1.5

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The Wister odds match my records. In 1996 I was drawn once for every 6 cards. 2000 I was drawn once for every 11 cards.

Never been drawn for Kern in 10 years.

Drawn once for Baldwin Lake opener near Big Bear. Guessing it was 1994/1995?? without peeking maybe when there was enough water to hunt it. Memory banks getting worn Will Robinson.

The opener at Baldwin that year started out with guys 50 yards apart after dragging small boats and a kayak in knee deep mud flats out to sparsely covered levees. A brawl broke out in the dark in front of us over a blind some of the locals had made and someone else had beat them to it. I guess they figured it out cuz when blue light broke all the cussing and splashing was over and everyone was looking skyward.

Why we stayed I don't know but when the wahoos cleared out about 9 am the mallards and cans traded back and forth from Big Bear Lake over us  to the middle of Baldwin Lake a bit.

There was one huge raft of em out in the center where we couldn't hunt, we were basically confined to the water right behind the sewer plant. You had to hunt from a boat and a warden watched for guys jump shooting when they retieved ducks, a big no no.

Lunchtime this non hunting guy comes along with a new lab he needs to gets some training for and he helped me retrieve a couple birds. He lets us know he was heading around the lake for his daily walk and if his dog accidently jumps all the ducks we shouldn't be sleeping.

All of a sudden the dog and some horse riders got the ducks up and they headed our way in waves. Visions of back home in flooded timber in Missouri and Arkansas. We finished our limts and when the warden checked us he never said a word but I think he knew what had happened. Lots of smiles that day going down the hill to the flatlands of Redlands.

To the guy with that lab that day if you're out there, thanks again.

If you're ever up in Big Bear, check the pics in the Sporting Goods Store (Ask Chuck Fowler), of the cans from the market hunting days at Baldwin and Big Bear. Several guys sitting around with maybe 400 cans in ONE days shoot layed out around them in row after row. Hard to believe now days.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 last year my buddy and I drew Little Dry Creek three times between us.  One of the date he drew my wife and I had small plans that I told her will had to reschedule because drawing LDC was a big deal, she didn't believe me and wasn't happy that I went duck hunting instead.  So when the odds came I showed her and she could not believe it and she actually apologized and said she wanted to hang on to the results so if I draw this year she can look at the odds.

Brian

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Jesse,

Have I got a story for you.  Back in the early 80's me and my buddies shot a spot we called Red Head Ridge, many of us know about Big Bear Lake and Baldwin Lake but there is another south of Baldwin called Irwin Lake.  Well anyways the ducks would take off of Baldwin and head south to Irwin to feed every morning so during hunting season we would drive up on a fire road south of Baldwin and park our trucks in the highest saddle of the small mountain range to the south.  We shot cans, redheads, sprigs and spoonies that flew just high enough to clear the tops of the pine trees.  We had some very good days the only drawbacks were at times if you weren't quick enough to retrieve your duck a bald eagle would swoop down and get it, days gone by.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom