Internal Timer delays.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I have been asked to look at etching an addon board w/opto & internal timer settings to fit into the available space left on the MS20.(See the low power thread). The question I have is what are the average timer settings folks want. Mind you, I need to read Jon's stuff a little more to familurize myself with some of it so I'll know what's possible, I've been using Brians chip exclusively, but for polling purposes, the sky's the limit. I'll probibly let this thread run until monday and then compile and sort. I will be out of town this weekend at the Arkansas Elk Festival, so if someone would bring it to the top every so often if it gets burried, Iwould appriciate it.

Please give me your favorite 5 delay settings. (Sorry, I'm used to Brians which have 5 and I'm an anal engineer.)

kmitch

Reaction score
I've used two minutes for over a year now and don't get any repeats but my deer are not "feeder trained".

Keith

(Edited by kmitch at 6:15 am on June 27, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I doubt I'd be purchasing your board because I make my own but here's my 2¢ worth:

Most of my cams have a fixed delay of either 1 or 2 minutes and even with JoeD & Brian's timers, I find that 99% of the time I only use the 1 min setting.  (occasionally I use a 15 sec setting)

I seldom set my cam's over salt or bait but found out a lot of times I get a "series" of false pix's without some kind of delay, even 30 seconds seems to lesson the waste of film.

So only 2 settings are important to me,  1 min  and 10 or 15 seconds (for when Bucks are chasing does)

Tinhorn

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
HH,

10 sec
30 sec
60 sec
5 min
30 min

It may be tough to get anything reliably out past 5 min or so.  The last time cam just be the longest time we can get.   Jon is getting 15 min with the 4.7M resistor and a 220uf cap so he might respond to this one.  I don't know what happens when the batt gets a littl low though.  Will it still charge enough?  I am going to use  a 10 K to get the fist time of 4 sec. and add the other 4 with dips in series.  that way all switches off =  4 sec and the Shutter press time of 6 sec will be the control.  I like his dual opto hook it up either way idea too.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
14 to 15 min would be about right. If we go to a much larger cap, its probibly going to get a little bulky.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
AEH,

Jon noticed voltage does make a difference on the delay (from 9v to 6v's anyway) so when I built the "inhibit" circuit the other day, I tapped off the regulated 5v supply instead of the battery source.  That way, any size battery can be used and there won't be any delay changes

Tinhorn

Jon5ja

Reaction score
Tinhorn is right about the supply voltage affecting the inhibit delay per the original design.  It also affects shutter time since the op amp that's charging up the MS20's original timer capacitor is running off the unregulated supply.

I started to write an epistle here, but decided to save it for the web page, ha.  I still didn't get time to finish the timer web page, but I'll put a "technical discussion" link or something on it once it's done.  Anyway, I've been through a couple of different ways of approaching this, and I probably haven't reached the last one yet.

Bottom line is:  the only real negative I can see to running the timer off the regulated supply is you get slightly shorter times for the same R & C, but especially if you only want a minute or so delay, regulated is probably the way I'd go.

My newest thinking is to drive the add-on timer as gently as possible to get the capacitor charged (to, say, at least 95%) during the shutter time instead of trying to charge it as fast as possible.  This makes the shutter times more consistent (the inhibit circuit doesn't "slam the door on its tail" as badly).  For the charging resistor, I'm now using 10K (instead of the original 470 ohm) with a 220 uF capacitor and that helps a lot.  If I changed the capacitor considerably from that value, I'd probably change the resistor to keep the time constant in the 2-second range (R * C = 2).  You'll charge to 95% in about 6 seconds that way, and the current spike will be kept to a minimum (probably more important if you're running it off the regulated 5V).

Jon

davered1

Reaction score
HH,

I'm the same as tinhorn, Rarely have my cameras seen anything over 1 minute delay. 95% of the time 30 seconds is where I would run mine, except rut then it would be 15 sec or as short as possible.

One long delay (10 -15 min) would be just right for putting over a feeder, which I will be doing this year. anymore then that and they are just for luxury

Dave

gantley

Reaction score
i have fell for 1.5 mins.  however the 15 minute option would be nice for feeder stations and such.

LW

Reaction score
I agree with most here 15 sec to 15 min, the deer here on my lease are feeder trained and in the fall when I get 35-40 hits a day I bump it up to 15 min so I only have to check my cams every 2 or 3 days.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom