Intro and Advise Needed

judas530

Reaction score
Hello all. My names Justin. I thought I'd say hello and ask some advise. Sorry for the long post for a simple question. Also just to be clear Im not looking for anyones hunting spots.
Ive lurked these forums off and on since 2007 but haven't posted. I quit hunting in 2009 due to Reg changes, life and raising a family.
This year my son told me he wanted to learn to hunt so we got him his licence and I got what gear I had left out of storage and replaced a bunch that I had sold or lost.
Anyway this year I'll be taking him up into the Forest above Oroville to try to get him onto a buck.
I grew up hunting B zone above Willows and Corning and have only hunted one season in Plumas National Forest back in 2008 with my Father-in-Law who had maps and knew the area.
I need to familiarize myself with the area. I know I can get Maps from BLM and I just found out about OnX Hunt. After looking through the OnX app Im wondering if this is a viable substitute for a proper set of National Forests Maps?
Im usually pretty Leary about technology for something like this but after talking to a Game Warden today who used it to check Boundaries of an area I used to hunt years ago, it made me curious if OnX is viable over a set of National Forest Maps for learning the forest service roads and possibly some topography?

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I still use forest service maps but I think I am in the minority. My son prefers OnX as do almost all of the 40 year old guys I hunt with. Other forums really talk about OnX a lot. I have read in a couple of places that OnX is not perfect and some boundaries may be off a little or land gets transfered and OnX doesn't have the up to date info. I typically don't hunt very close to areas that are off limits to me so I don't worry too much about private ground. I do have to pay attention to some parks or game refuges.

judas530

Reaction score
Ty John. This was exactly what I was wondering. Spending a $30 for a year of maps that will cover the entire state seems like a better deal than $60 for the 3 National Forests Maps in D3-5. I'll get on the app and see how well it covers the Forest Service Roads. Thanks.

slamdmini

Reaction score
for me on-x is priceless. i rely on it for the public/private boundaries a lot, and i mark waypoints constantly, especially for my trail cameras. i still have normal maps and i do use them, but when im in the field i always use onx.

judas530

Reaction score
Just going over it the last 2 days in trial mode Im going to give it a shot. Stuff gets a bit cluttered but the info available at your fingertips is amazing.
Have you guys had any issues with the offline mode? I know google maps freaks out when it loses signal. Is OnX able to reliably keep your position when no signal is available lije up in the mountains? Basically wondering if this app can be substituted for a gps even when signal is lost?

slamdmini

Reaction score
u can save ur maps, with all ur waypoints and anything u have marked on the map, and open it in offline mode. ive never had any problem

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
My best advice is get Verizon service. All my hunts in cali that were in mountain ranges I use to have att and u could never get service in those areas. My hunting buddies in camp that had a great single always in the right spot had Verizon.
So about 10 yrs ago when I lived in San jo cali I went on a 4 day bear hunting trip in stanislaus county. When I said goodbye to my wife I told her I would call her when we for to our camp site to let her know we made it and everything was ok.
Well once we got there I had no single at all so I could not even call her to let her know I made it safely. For 4 days my wife did hot hear from me at all since I left for the trip she had ho idea if I was dead or alive at al, she was super worried for 4 days till i made it back home. I was tripping my whole 4 day hunt too because I knew she had to b worried but hearing from me at all.
After that I switched to Verizon and never had a issue agian when on a hunt where there is barely any single always able to contact my wife or vice versa.
Theres a reason why the old VERIZON commercials home boy use to say "CAN U HEAR ME NOW" I finally got it!.... lol...tra

snoopdogg

Reaction score
OnX is great. Downloading maps of the area you will be hunting ensures you have a digital copy of the map on your phone.

If you lose service, out your phone in airplane mode and bring up your digital map you downloaded onto your phone. Having your phones GPS on allows you to see where you are on your download map. And you mark waypoints, save tracks, etc. They are a great tool.

I still like looking at paper maps to see the entire zone, but when I'm hunting, it's my phone-based app.

I now use BaseMap because it's way cheaper and has the same functionality and have made my hunting partners invest too so they don't get lost and can be sure of the public/private boundaries.

Good luck.

D8hntr

Reaction score
My best advice is get Verizon service. All my hunts in cali that were in mountain ranges I use to have att and u could never get service in those areas. My hunting buddies in camp that had a great single always in the right spot had Verizon.
So about 10 yrs ago when I lived in San jo cali I went on a 4 day bear hunting trip in stanislaus county. When I said goodbye to my wife I told her I would call her when we for to our camp site to let her know we made it and everything was ok.
Well once we got there I had no single at all so I could not even call her to let her know I made it safely. For 4 days my wife did hot hear from me at all since I left for the trip she had ho idea if I was dead or alive at al, she was super worried for 4 days till i made it back home. I was tripping my whole 4 day hunt too because I knew she had to b worried but hearing from me at all.
After that I switched to Verizon and never had a issue agian when on a hunt where there is barely any single always able to contact my wife or vice versa.
Theres a reason why the old VERIZON commercials home boy use to say "CAN U HEAR ME NOW" I finally got it!.... lol...tra
Where I hunt in Sequoia National Forest, AT&T is just about the only service that works. Lol. Could be that Lake Isabella and Wofford Heights have a few towers.

judas530

Reaction score
Tried the trial for OnX and was planning on subscribing to that but tried Basemaps after seeing snoopdogg talk about it. I like that this has a monthly feature and decided to give this a try for a month before deciding which app to buy for the year.

Really like it so far. Went rabbit hunting yesterday and tried out Basemaps while hunting and really liked it. I was able to track my route and see where I was in real time, add markers for trails and access points for game for later in the year when deer hunting. These apps add alot of function when scouting fresh areas. I just wish the offline maps didnt take up so much space.

Sawfish

Reaction score
Ty John. This was exactly what I was wondering. Spending a $30 for a year of maps that will cover the entire state seems like a better deal than $60 for the 3 National Forests Maps in D3-5. I'll get on the app and see how well it covers the Forest Service Roads. Thanks.
Forest service maps are good for many years, and do not require repurchasing every year. Electronics are fine, but I will never be without a set of maps for the area(s) that I am hunting.

ERSF19

Reaction score
I'd suggest making yourself a poor-mans waterproof quad map of the specific area you plan to be in. I print these quad maps at home, trim to the cut/match lines, tape them in the back and laminate the larger assembled map at FedEx Kinkos. These maps are more detailed and zoomed in a little tighter than the standard issue forest service maps. I've made them whenever going in to a new area. I've since switched to OnX which is fine to access when I'm out hiking, but rolling out a succinct map is easier when pondering next moves and looking over larger areas with the group.

Here's a link to Plumas National Forest as an example.

Top Bottom