Inyo/Mono Grouse Counts

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
From a birding report.

8 Apr 2002 Sandy Koonce reports:
Dana and I did our annual Owens Valley spring grouse trip this past weekend. We were successful finding grouse: at the Lake Crowley lek, I counted 155 male and around 50 female GREATER SAGE-GROUSE.  They were very active and loud, and performed well after sunrise (and it wasn't cold this year, either!)  We also saw one booming BLUE GROUSE at Glacier Lodge (in the usual place) and heard another upslope; and we heard a third in
Aspendell.  

docramo

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the main Lek area location is around Crowley Lake ? I have looked multiple times durring mating season and have yet to observe this ritual.
I have seen hundreds of Sage Grouse in the area which I highly recomend all JHP members to check it out . The only bad part is you can only look but not shoot. Great trout fishing nearby.

shaginator

Reaction score
I can see how it would be confusing, especially when "lek" used in context of "Crowley Lake".

Lek
traditional display grounds on which males of certain promiscuous species, such as the Sharp-tailed Grouse, perform courtship displays to attract females. Displaying males defend small territories on the lek, with the more dominant males usually dancing towards the center of the court. Females visit the lek, and select a male for copulation.

In short, a lek is a grouse singles club.

Top Bottom