Iowa Game wardens fine Arkansas hunters

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Iowa Game wardens fine Arkansas hunters

By CINDY TOOPES, Ottumwa Courier staff writer.

11/7/01

BLOOMFIELD - Six Arkansas hunters have enriched Davis County's coffers by about $18,000 and are southbound to their homes, according to Matt Rush, state game warden.

The hunters received numerous citations, their hunting accessories were seized and so were various deer parts. All six men pled guilty.

"Last night, we completed a four-month investigation," Rush said Tuesday. "In the last five days, we worked on it almost around the clock. This happened just south of Bloomfield, and they were shooting deer with bows, cutting the heads off and leaving the carcasses."

The six men and their charges are:

Gregory R. Sims, Route 2, Box 59A, Clarksville, Ark., was charged with illegal use of radios while hunting deer, making a false claim for a resident hunting license and making a false claim for a deer hunting license.

Kenneth D. Colvin, Lamar, Ark., charged with illegal use of radio while hunting deer, unlawful killing of deer, failure to tag deer, making a false claim for a resident hunting license, making a false claim for a resident deer license and failure to retrieve game from the field.

Steven R. Crotts, Lamar, Ark., charged with illegal use of radio while hunting deer, operating an ATV on a roadway and operating a non-registered ATV on state property.

Michael S. Chronister, Altus, Ark., charged with illegal use of radio while hunting deer, unlawful killing of deer, failure to tag deer and failure to retrieve game from the field.

Charles H. Wallace Jr., Star City, Ark., charged with illegal use of radio while hunting deer, unlawful killing of deer, failure to tag deer, failure to retrieve game from the field.

Kevin D. Frost, Lamar, Ark., illegal use of radio while hunting deer.

Seized property included three Matthews Solocam compound bows, five hand-held portable radios, two deer heads and one full-bodied deer carcass.

"These guys were well-off and well-equipped," Rush said. "Through surveillance of the illegal activity, game wardens observed a deer illegally shot with a bow, and the carcass was left in the field. As the officers did the takedown on the hunting camp, two more deer heads were found and the carcasses were located on a different farm in Davis County."

"This is the time of year when we have increased hunting activity and illegal activity," Rush added.

Assisting Rush with the stakeout were game wardens Randy McPherron, Rod Pickens, Dallas Davis, Jason Sandholt, Mike Ryan, Lon Lindenberg and Allen Crouse.

People with information can call the TIP (Turn in Poachers) Hotline at 1-800-532-2020, or contact their local game wardens.

"We rely on the public for information, and it's an integral part of our tools for investigation when we have these big cases," Rush said.

Welby

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but what is "illegal use of radio while hunting deer"?  Is there something I should know, as I keep a FRS radio with me now while hunting.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Some/most states do not allow 2 way radio contact between hunters in the field,it is considered unfair chase and is illegal,as far as having one while you hunt you need to check the regulations first.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
In Pennsylvania, we are aloud to use radios for general contact, or for emergency use.  It is illegal to use the radios to alert others to the presence of game, or to use the radios to help someone "head" off game.  They were probably using the radios to "stalk" the deer, or direct each other to the location of the deer. We always joke around about it at camp, wondering how they would actually "bust" someone for saying..Hey Joe, get ready, here come's some deer.

Welby

Reaction score
So they won't get me for using one to keep in contact with my pregnant wife, huh?  We're at that "any minute now" stage and I can't take any chances.

I can tell you for sure my wife ain't gonna be headin' off any deer right now.

(Edited by Welby at 2:20 pm on Nov. 19, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welby,

Only one state, Ohio bans radio use while hunting, but cell phones are legal. Figure that one out. Most of the rest of the states allow radio use for hunting as long as you don't pursue or herd animals with them. Most hunting regs don't mention this radio issue but when I've pressed wardens on why they would cite someone who used radios for driving deer they said it was not fair chase and was a violation.

Using radios for safety and for getting help dragging or gutting a deer is perfecly legal in most states. Some also ban talking to aircraft like N.M. This year I've seen 3 or 4 cases where hunters have been prosecuted for usign radios on stalks or drives.

I have about half the states listed on my radio webpage and their radio use laws while hunting. Checking the regs like Passthru mentioned is best if not sure.

Top Bottom