Iowa Non resident drawing

PYDeerHunter

Reaction score
I am a non resident, but looking forward to visiting Iowa. I have heard that the odds of drawing a nonresident archery tag the first year of appling are basically non existant. I was wondering if anyone knew if that was true. ny info would help.
Thanks

evart

Reaction score
I think that the chances depend on which area you are going to. Go to the Iowa DNR web page and there is a place that shows the number of permits being given out for this year and the number of applicants from last year. This won't be an exact number to figure odds but gets you in the ball park. I, too, am a non-resident and there are 4 more guys with me that are going to apply this year, so good luck to you. (I don't remember exactly where to find the info I spoke of but it is there so keep looking).

gene

TOECATCH

Reaction score
http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/files/hunting.html

That should get ya in the right path, but I will worn you, nothing to see here. Hunting is lowsey, and the people are outright rude!
No really, I live in SE Iowa, brought to this forum, and possibly going to leave, with the rest of the trappers here. Seeing big bucks on my trap line is an everyday affair, tring to get one close enuff to shoot, well, thats another storey. Saw one buck, 300+ yards away, and could still see his rack. If only Iowa had a rifle season for them deer.

evart

Reaction score
Toecatch, the fact that there isn't a "rifle" season is one of the reasons that there are so many big bucks there. I realize that there are other reasons also, but not being able to shoot over 250 yards gives the deer a little better chance. My group of 5 are putting in for Area 1 (northwest corner) archery and we will see what happens.

evart

birdhunter88

Reaction score
Toecatch,
I too am from Iowa and I suggest that you should try muzzleloader season...... AWESOME ! Next best thing to a rifle season.

As far as out of state hunter chances and draws go..... Now as far as I know...you do not earn points each time that you apply. It is truely a chance or luck of the draw system....If there are 200 tags available and lets say only 225 people apply. Then there will only be 25 unlucky individuals. But those 25 unlucky individuals DO NOT earn any special points or favors towards the following year. You just start all over again.

Also if it were me I would either hunt the NE or SC part of the state. Much more timber and river bottoms to hunt. Good Luck and Safe Hunting.

bird

TOECATCH

Reaction score
Well, it looks as if im here to stay

Kinda liked this forum. Anyhow, My father is coming down from NY to give a hand at an Iowan buck. Got a farm with a little over 300 acres of feild and about 40 acres of woods, where I was trapping, owner gave me permission to kill them pesky little deer, turkey or whatever my heart fancied.
No pheasants there, that sucks. My shorthair went all year with out hunting, feel bad for her, going to sell her. With my trapping business, trapping and reg hunting, dont have time for pheasants anymore, and the numbers are down in my area. Well anyhow.... Talk to you all later.

Top Bottom