• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

iPhone 4 with Navionics Charts

map

I loaded the Navionics Chart Application ($9.99) into my IPhone 4, and they look pretty good. Haven't navigated out on the water yet, but it turns my iPhone 4 into a $3,000 Chart Plotter for less than $10.

Any questions?

map

I had the Navionics Application next to the Sacramento River today, and it's a super accurate setup.

However, the Application doesn't have the traditional Pointing Arrow that we got use to during the days of Loran.

Navionics is like a video game where we steer the blip on the screen, rather than glance down at a large arrow, take a quick mental note, and then watch where we are going.

For sure, navigation with the blip on the screen will still require the old fashioned Compass to stay on course. I can't remember the last time I used a Compass?

map

Well, something has been improved this year that is handy for river navigation. A red Pointing Arrow that projects a fine red Line ahead of it has been added. (Or, maybe I didn't know how to use it last year?) It's really neat when it works. At 5 mph max it may be useful for night river navigation, especially for getting out there early for fishing.

I did run into the rocky shore while trying adjust the software while underway. Also, the iPhone got too hot during the day. It was 90 degrees and the mobile battery charger was needed to keep the battery charged with screen on and GPS working. I had to shut down the unit.

What ever you do, don't play with the iPhone at full throttle. I was lucky that I was only going 5 mph and through it into reverse before I ran aground on those rocks.

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

Top Bottom