Iraq vet gone Rambo?

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Park ranger killed in Washington, Iraq vet is person of interest.

Last edited:

inchr48

Reaction score
Sounds like they found his body.

cjack

Reaction score
Freezing to death is not a good way to go but if he indeed did kill that poor lady I have no sympathy. Thoughts and prayers for both families left behind. Tragic!

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
This incident bears no similarity to the storyline of First Blood.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
During WWII the average soldier saw 10 days of combat per year, in the Afgan/Iraq war they see an average of 240 days of combat per year. That kinda mind-altering stress makes me sympathetic to troubled soldiers. My nephew has pulled 3 tours and wants to go back. Says life here in the States is an empty void for him...over there he matters. I fear what will become of him.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya Bruce. My nephew also did three tours. He could have avoided the last tour because he was a short timer, but he wanted to get back to his old unit, rather than maybe get called up to a new unit.

He's discharged now and he has a rough time traveling from SoCal to the Central Valley through the Grapevine because he keeps feeling like he has to duck enemy fire from the high ground! He always used to volunteer to man the gun turret on his Humvee. He's definitely suffering from PTSD now.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Yeah...those turret guys are bullet magnets. How many hits has he taken?

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
During WWII the average soldier saw 10 days of combat per year, in the Afgan/Iraq war they see an average of 240 days of combat per year. That kinda mind-altering stress makes me sympathetic to troubled soldiers. My nephew has pulled 3 tours and wants to go back. Says life here in the States is an empty void for him...over there he matters. I fear what will become of him.

That pretty much sums it up! (no disrespect to the WWII vets, as the way we fought was a whole different ballgame back then).

Last edited:

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Bruce, I don't think my nephew ever took a bullet, or I probably would have heard about it from family. When I talk to him I don't ask probing questions, I just let him say what comes out naturally in the conversation -- which generally includes no details. I don't give up much personal info about myself on the internet, but I can say that I am retired from work that included working with PTSD issues with all sorts of people, including military vets. PTSD is an extremely complex disorder, both in terms of onset and especially in terms of treatment. Let me just say that each individual and their circumstances, to a large degree, are usually unique to them, and therefore so is the treatment. That is my experience and opinion anyway.

With regard to Benjamin Barnes, there is now a lot of info on the internet evolving. Initially, the first brief article I read described him as a "survivalist." Now, there are reports from his friends that he actually lived in his car and that is why he had a lot of gear in it that could be construed as bugout survival gear. And of course there are comments that he was a bad guy even before military duty. Their are even articles critical of the Ft. Lewis base where he was discharged from for misconduct. Who knows what info will be corroborated in the end.

One thing for sure though, reports that he was suicidal before these shootings cause me to feel very bad for him -- a suicidal person is in extreme emotional pain, looking for a way to end that pain. But more importantly, killing an innocent person is unwarranted and atrocious (the only mitigating factor in my mind would be if the shooter was in a psychotic state severe enough to meet criteria for legal insanity at the time -- which I tend to doubt in this case).

This was a tragedy for all, but mostly for the innocent victim.

Oakley

Reaction score
Thats crazy. Ive only done one tour to Afghan. It wasnt fun. We were on a tiny cop and just about 2/3 of our company has atleast one purple heart. I agree with the wanting to go back. Its weird, when I was over there it was just "I cant wait to get home" but now I miss it. I'm not staying in though. My one re enlistment was enough. After this it's time to enjoy life a little more and figure out what state to go be a game warden or something in.

Top Bottom