Is a bull considered exotic?

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I don't see a Bovine Board. LOL

Well this is gonna be one of my hunts this year...strange as it may sound. While shooting coyotes in AZ last month I was asked to hunt a mean 7-8 yr old 1700lb bull on a nearby property. He's never been branded, roped or corralled and he is hard to spot. The ranch has 55,000 acres however, this particular bull tends to stay away from the main cattle herds and in the dense vegetation side of the property near a year round creek. He is four color and an unusually large set of horns that look like they belong on a Texas longhorn. Efforts to rope the sucker have failed. He's gored horses and chased ropers right outta the area. he has even been seen backing into the brush to set up an ambush as guys on horseback closed in. His name is Demon.

The owner has offered him up as a hunt. Kill him, haul his arse out. He asked my buddy if he knew anyone crazy enough to try it...said to go in on foot cuz Demon hates horses. So my pal says, "If you kill him, I'll bring in the horses to pack the meat out." Probably only good for ground burger but what the heck? Sounds exciting. But at the same time I am quickly realizing that if I'm on foot in an area devoid of trees to climb...I am a target. At first I thought bowhunt but others are warning me not to try it...basically saying Demon will kill me.

So who knows a lot of bull here? Is an arrow really a poor choice? Even with a big sidearm? Would you try it or stay 100 yards away and lob a big bullet at him?

solus

Reaction score
thats a huuuge bull it can be done with a bow but your best bet would be a tree stand if you know his stomping grounds. Other than that invite me and we can take him together lol

I'M DK

Reaction score
Sounds like Cape Buffalo, American style.
Do it with your bow if that's what you want.
It'll make a great story beside a campfire.

If it were me I'd go with a backup shooter.
I'd be willing to creep in right beside you.

DK

catchdog

Reaction score
If you don't have a backup shooter, take a rifle.
I work on a cattle ranch and bulls can be funny. I will hand feed one bread every day and make friends with him.. Then you try to get him to load on a trailer and he will become your worst nightmare.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I have a back-up (camera and rifle) guy and intend to try to produce a video entitled: The Hunt for Demon. The area lacks trees suitable for a stand. My plan is to have some sort of exit strategy (maybe dig a foxhole) and use my Foxpro to coax the bull out (walk past me) using a another bull's challenge call or something. But I've heard of bulls living for days with 4 arrows in the vitals. That's not cool and I certainly don't want that on video! I quick clean kill will not be easy with a bow and will place me in very close proximity. I must expect him to turn and charge me and depending on the exit routes...may be uhhh....Darwinian.

baco

Reaction score
shot him with the bow. If he doesnt see you when you shoot him he wont know where your at to come after you. Also In my opinion and I have been around a lot of cattle the odds of him charging you are slim. Also I can promise you if a bull had four arrows in the vitals he would not be breathing for long.

Last edited:

slanttop357

Reaction score
Bruce your going to go shoot a big cow don't over think this one.

catchdog

Reaction score
Bruce, wait for the right shot and put the arrow in his vollyball size heart. And he will go down just like any other animal. Get behind a big rock if you can.

flingem71

Reaction score
Be a good guy and just plug him right tween the eyes. It is just a ornery cow.

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
How bout show the owner how macho you are. Dress up like a toro matador and go after him with a swords or spear. Or give him a headlock choke to death. :skeered:

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Based on feedback I've gotten from cattlemen...cows and longhorns and other farm animals are near as fierce as a bull. Been told some crazy stories about bulls seemingly defying the laws of physics and gravity just to kill a guy.

baco

Reaction score
Dont buy into all the hype. Think about it all them bull rider on them top notch bulls and how often do they come after the rider

solus

Reaction score
I remember watching a video of a guy hunting wild hefers in new zealand and wild hefers are smarter and meaner than most animals. they compare them to water buffalo

catchdog

Reaction score
Most of the time they just want to get away from you if pressured. Last time I was charged we were trying to load the bull and he jumped on the gates and broke them down. I ran around the barn and got in front of him. He was trying to just get away from me but he seen me slip and fall in the mud. He then turned and charged right at me. I got up side stepped him and hit him in the head with a big stick. I have been working with cattle for about 12 years but I'm no expert. But from what I have seen the bulls are always the bigger pain in the a$$.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I'm posting a story another guy shared with me. Like him, I get trespass privies to hunt this ranch after Demon is dead. It's prime elk, deer, antelope terrain.

I was put on a very similar endeavor about 5 yrs. ago by a local herdsman. Long story short a local cattler owner fallen upon hard times had not kept his fences up to snuff and many of his cattle had gone wild. They were all through the neighbors crops and running amuck. The cattle owner was given an ultimatum to get rid of all the cattle or go to court. Well, he decided to get rid of the herd, but 3 bulls escaped the cowboys including a crazy herd bull. 2,000 lbs. completely wild, and gored two of the cowboys horses to the point they had to be put down!
Well, a buddy and I talked to the owner, and he was scared to death of this bull! He wanted it dead before it hurt somebody, or earned him a law suit! We tracked them and found the area they were in. I was carrying a .303 Brit loaded hot with 180 gr. soft points and my buddy had a T/C Encore in .300 Win mag. All three bulls were together and came out about an hour before dark in a neighbor's cornfield. The corn was only about 4" tall and they were going down the rows nipping each plant off at the ground! We were set up in a hedgerow about 50 yds. apart, and they were feeding right down to us. The plan was for me to shoot the big yellow bull first, and fire at will after that. The idea was shoot them in the boiler room and let them run off the field. Well....

They finally get down to us, I let them filter a ways past me to about even with my buddy further down the hedgerow. The bulls were about 60 yards out into the field. I lay my crosshairs on the crease of the big yellow devil and BOOM! He mule kicks but doesn't run. My buddy fires next at the next biggest hereford looking bull. It spins and starts running along with the third bull back past me! I drop the big hereford looking thing with a neck shot, rack another round then drop the third bull with a head shot. About that time I look back to see the big yellow bull still standing where I shot him and scanning the hedgerow! My pal puts another round into his chest, I rack another and shoot as well. After my shot the bull start charging toward the hedgerow near where my buddy is setup ( he picked him out.) He got another round in the chest from both he and I during his 60 yard charge before hurdling and completely clearing a 5 foot hedge! As soon as his hooves hit the ground he spun on my friend who was leaping head first to the opposite side of the fence. That big yellow ba$*&d stood for just a second looking for him and I squeezed a shot off into his earhole. THE END.

What we learned:
1. There is no such thing as being over-gunned
2. Those wild bulls are TOUGH!!!
3. Those bulls are MEAN!!! and will kill you
4. Single shot rifles are a no-no!
5. Central nervous sysem shots are the safest
6. Kill them from as far away as you can!
7. You'll need heavy machinery to move them or bury them after the job is done.
8. It was a pretty cool way to get sole hunting permission to hunt 1,000 acres of good deer ground! (our payment for taking care of the problem)

jindydiver

Reaction score
Over here we call them scrub bulls and they are taken by bowhunters all the time. Just don't let it see you move and drill it sweet and all will be good :)

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I thought Aussie's just wrestled em to the ground in a head lock, busted off a horn and stuck em through their heart with it...all while being careful not to spill a drop of the beer held in the other hand.

inchr48

Reaction score
I used to get to shoot cattle for butchering when I was a kid. 22 LR in the forehead dropped them every time. Make the shot into the boiler-room, and you'll be golden. (Good to have a "Plan B" though). Good luck.

sancho

Reaction score
did this ever happen? i just watched bowhunter TV do it in new zealand. did not look safe at all. but fun.

i just need to figure out what to eat, so i can poop money.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
The damn bull apparetnly got horny and followed a buncha cows into a temporary corral (the kind with the doors that let em enter but not exit) and he was branded and sold. Tore up the corral pretty good too.

Top Bottom