Is anyone out there?

FTTPOW

It's been quite a while since anyone has posted here. Is anyone still shooting traditional or have you turned to the dark side and gone with an inline?

socalkid

I shoot both. Just found some lead free roundballs to try with my flintlock, but since its a .45 caliber I'm hesitant to use it for deer but I think it will be too much for rabbits...

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
I've had my traditional Trade Rifle out a couple of times, but it's been loaded for (at least) 10-12 years and I think I'm just challenging myself to be sure it goes off. I love my trad guns, but it's hard to beat that 15-20 minute advantage that you get at first and last light with a scope. That's some of the best hunting time there is.

FTTPOW, what is your f/l? Manufactured, kit or ho-made?

ltdann

I shoot both. Just found some lead free roundballs to try with my flintlock, but since its a .45 caliber I'm hesitant to use it for deer but I think it will be too much for rabbits...
Lead free round balls? More info please.

FTTPOW

FTTPOW, what is your f/l? Manufactured, kit or ho-made?

All of my rifles are handmade. My .45 full stock , started out with a Douglas barrel, but developed problems. I then used a Montana barrel until I shot it out and replaced it with a Green Mountain. I used a Dixie lock until I couldn't rebuild it anymore and went to a L&R lock about 4 years ago. The triggers are handmade and are "backwards". You push the front trigger forward to set the rear trigger. It eliminates reaching for the front trigger to set it off and is much more comfortable. I also have backwards triggers in a .36 full stock flinter, Dixie lock, for squirrels and in a .40 half stock percussion, Dixie lock, that the kids used for a starter rifle. My oldest son has them in his .45 half stock flinter, L&R lock, as well. He just purchased a .45/.54 half stock flinter, Cochran lock,but it has traditional triggers. The .54 cal drop in barrel gives it the versatility to be used for bigger game and is destined to go elk hunting, soon. All are iron mounted. I have a .58 smooth bore Trade gun and a .45 flint pistol that are required when I shot the Primitive program at the Nationals. The only manufactured gun I have is a .54 TC Hawken, but haven't shot it yet. It too is destined for an upcoming elk hunt.

FTTPOW

socalkid, I've killed over 30 whitetails and a black bear with a .45 cal. Spend enough quality time knowing your effective range and the .45 will work on the biggest Mulie made.

Top Bottom