Is Barnes vor-tx lead free any good?

Sandor72

Reaction score
Looking for some good hunting ammo and sight in a 30-06. Supplies seems to be a little low out there... Is Barnes Vor-tx any good?

dthome

Reaction score
That’s what I use in my 30-06. Absolute tack drivers In my Winchester. They can blow through deer, but the deer still drop where they stand. These came from a bear. I use 168 grain, and wouldn’t use anything else.AABF4960-76F4-493A-A4AB-E99709C5F410.jpeg.

Sandor72

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! I was considering the 150 grain to try and get less recoil. What do you think?

dthome

Reaction score
That would do just fine for any deer you’ll find in CA.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Barnes is a great bullet. One of my guns likes them a lot and another one doesn't shoot them very well. You might get lucky and the first weight bullet you try shoots great. If not you might try 165-168 or even heavier if the 150 does not work well in your gun.
My gun that doesn't like Barnes shoots Federal Trophy Copper very well so there are options. It gets real expensive trying a bunch of different brands and weights. The deer we have taken with Barnes or Trophy Copper didn't know the difference between the two.

Planetcat

Reaction score
I find the barnes shoot and perform great in my magnum calibers, but not as great in my .30-06 and .308. The right bullet weight is a big factor, but hard to pin down sometimes with copper. Hornady gmx is pretty good too.

Sandor72

Reaction score
Thank you fellas... I'll try the Barnes 150 and 165 then go from there. It does get expensive so might just try one or two at a time until I find what my gun likes. Cheers!

ltdann

Reaction score
My expierence with barnes is that they either work great for you or they'll be a huge disappointement. I'm in the disappointment lane.

I never could get any of it to group worth a crap, either factory or reloads....and I reloaded about $500 worth before I gave up.

On game, it tends to blow through the animal, leaving a small entry and exit wound, allowing the animal to run...sometimes for quite a ways. The ones I have recovered, failed to mushroom.

I switched to the Nosler E-tip (150 grn 30-06) and all my troubles went away. It has a very similiar performance to Nosler partitions.

The only way to find out which is right for you is to try it out on your rifle. Mine hated the things.

Sandor72

Reaction score
My expierence with barnes is that they either work great for you or they'll be a huge disappointement. I'm in the disappointment lane.

I never could get any of it to group worth a crap, either factory or reloads....and I reloaded about $500 worth before I gave up.

On game, it tends to blow through the animal, leaving a small entry and exit wound, allowing the animal to run...sometimes for quite a ways. The ones I have recovered, failed to mushroom.

I switched to the Nosler E-tip (150 grn 30-06) and all my troubles went away. It has a very similiar performance to Nosler partitions.

The only way to find out which is right for you is to try it out on your rifle. Mine hated the things.
Right on, thank you!

Sandor72

Reaction score
Slim pickings out there... I got some lead free Norma 150 grain, Federal 150 grain, and Hornady 165. Planning to try it all tomorrow and see what works best. Thanks for all the help!

Top Bottom