Is camo clothing required

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I dont think you can be successful without full camo.

Of course all of these were taken over 25 years ago and deer were clearly not as smart back then.

Nothing but blue jeans and a work shirt. Just think how much money I saved by buying "all purpose" clothing. Hunt, fish and work in the same clothes.

20180226_164240.jpg

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Gerry Blair once called in a coyote wearing a santa suit to prove you dont need camo.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Yep I know hunters who hunt that way and are very successful, when I am in full camo and my hunting partner is in Jean's and a tshirt it makes me think I must not have nothing better to spend my money on.....lol if I had to hunt that way i would be down, but i guess i like to play dress up...lol
Anyway I definitely would not hunt in Jean's and a cotton tshirt here in Florida with 100 + daily temps with high dew and humidity, all day and night omg I can't imagine how funky I would get in the woods. A bull gator would smell me and eat me.....lol
And as we all know the number 1 rule and key to success is playing the wind, wind, wind and u could hunt successful like that even with no clothing at all just by playing the wind! THE END....lol....tra

cjack

Reaction score
My opinion is that it depends on what you are hunting and what you are hunting with. I believe that for turkey hunting, even though they mostly detect motion not colors you can get away with slight movements more easily while concealed with camouflage. With archery equipment and the close proximity needed you have a better chance of not being detected as they approach. Ducks also have incredible sight and blending in can be an advantage. Rifle hunting, upland game as well as hog hunting and others it is not as critical. Hunting clothing's ability to keep you comfortable and the familiarity of it's functions such as location of pockets and special features are the reason I wear it most of the time.

ltdann

Reaction score
Do I think camo is needed? Not most of the time. They almost always know you're there. In some situations, it confuses the animal just long enough for you get a shot. Anything that breaks up your outline will do the same.

That said, the people that make camo clothing do so with the hunter in mind. The clothes tend to be roomier, reinforced knee and elbow areas, more pockets, quieter and with extra strong sewing in the areas that need it. In short, the clothes are made knowing that hunters will be crawling, kneeling and busting brush...more comfortable.

I remember an antelope hunt that my father-in-law invited me and my nephew on. It took us hours to drive to the area. We started hiking and I keep hearing a noise I couldn't identify. After we were an hour from the truck, I realized it was my nephews nylon jacket loudly swishing as he walked. He might as well been ringing a bell because we didn't so much as see a rabbit.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
90% of what I wear now is camo. Mostly because it serves well for waterfowl and it is made for the hunter like ltdann mentioned. Some of it I purchased and some was given to me for gifts. My son likes Sitka gear so he buys me some of the same stuff he wears. It is nice. I own a lot of different brands including some Wrangler camo jeans. One of my favorite hunting coats was a plaid red and black Filson wool heavy parka type coat. I really liked it a lot in the snow. Unfortunately my waist kept growing and the parka did not.
This topic came up when a buddy saw the collage hanging on my wall above the computer and questioned why I wasn't wearing camo in those old photos. That collage was put together in the late 90s when a friend started doing some photo editing on his computer and my wife found a bunch of photos that she sent him.
I can barely send Email so I don't edit photos or make collages.

Top Bottom