Is it OK to feed your 12 week puppy Adult dog food?

83blazer

Reaction score
Is it OK to feed my 12 week puppy Adult dog food?

I am currently feeding her Adult dog Lamb and rice formula Kirkland brand from Costco. I chose this because it was recommended to me not because of price.

I posted a question somewhere else and was told that I should be feeding her a Large Breed Puppy food like Eukanuba.

Kirkland Signature - Adult Lamb & Brown Rice Formula

Ingredients:
Lamb, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, millet, brewers dried yeast, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 23%
Fat: 14%
Fiber: 4%
Moisture: 10%

Other Nutrient Guarantees
Glucosamine Hydrochloride min 300 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate min 100 mg/kg*

Omega Fatty Acids
Omega 6: min 2.2%
Omega 3: min 0.4%
Ratio: 5.5:1

maddog58

Reaction score
You should talk to your Vet, as it deals with the body growth vs the bone growth.

gundogs

Reaction score
"You are building bones today , that are to last a lifetime" (A quote from my Vet. ) Feed the best puppy or large breed puppy food you can possibly afford. Check with your Vet about the best food for your particular breed and activity level.
Congrats of your new hunting buddy!
Bryce

Mt Goat

Reaction score
I've pretty much always used Eukanuba puppy, Pro Plan Puppy, Nutra Max puppy, or IAMS puppy. BUT I dont like feeding puppy foods for to long, no more than 6 months. Personally I stop at around 5 months. IMO if you feed puppy food to long your pup could develope to fast. I prefer a pup to grow/develope slow not fast. I would rather see one of my dogs hit there full grown adult size at 1 1/2 -2 years old rather than at 1 year old.

I have fed my puppies the Kirkland Puppy formula too, the yellow bag, and been happy with it. If thats all you can afford, and your already feeding Kirkland try there puppy blend it will be better for the pup than the adult food.

Larry Lowell

RickQU/DU

Reaction score
Puppies are Babies but hairy, Stick with puppy food and like others say ask your vet what a breed like yours will need to flourish into a strong adult. Best of luck and keep us posted.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
I'm gonna go against the grain a bit here!

Well before there was ever, "dog food" many species within the canine world, did just fine, on "whatever" they were fed!

Think about, coyotes, wolves, etc. do they lack the nutritional values their provided naturally?

Now, don't get me wrong! I've fed my dogs from the major commercial venues my entire life! but, the bottom line, it's a commercial world, with each and every provider making similar claims for their products!

Many, even with the aide of so-called scientific evidence?

Your pup "HAS" to eat, so, as you feed it, keep in mind, "what you eat, is what you are" so to speak! With that lousy cliche, just use your best common sense, enjoy your pup/dog, for as long as you will, when its gone, get another, and repeat the processes to the day you die!

For, there's nothing much better than getting out and about, with your canine companion and the two/or/more of you enjoying what we've been bred for?

83blazer

Reaction score
Ok, the only reason I feed my puppy Kirkland adult dog food is because it was recommended to me by someone who is a Lab breeder not because it is inexpensive. I was told that it is made by Daiamond and it is one of the top 5 dog foods out there. If there is something better that I can feed my 12 week puppy then let me know and I will buy it no matter the cost.

Mt.Goat, I agree with you. I would rather have my puppy grow at 1 1/2 to 2 years rather than 1 year.

My vet. This is the second time I will be going to the vet and I am not sure I like this guy or trust him but he was recommended to me by someone who trusts him. I need to find someone I trust. I trust you guys more than I trust my vet.

What is a good Large Breed Puppy food to feed m girl? I looked at Eukanuba and Eagle and seem to prefer Eagle because the are natural and use quality food. Which do you guys recommend?

THE LAB GUY

Reaction score
I have fed adult dog food to my puppies over the last eight years and have had no problem. I had a talk with a food rep from a big dog food company a couple of years ago and he asked how I fed my puppies, so I told him I feed adult food to them and then I asked him what the difference was and he said we jacked the protein up 35 up to 40 percent and slapped a puppy label on the bag and made millons. It will cause the puppies to grow to fast feeding that much IMO. I have had many titled dogs and Champions over the last 8 years feeding this way. And never had a problem with bone or growth problems. THE LAB GUY Hope this helps.

barel74

Reaction score
lab guy is right. Only bonus with puppy food is more protien and smaller kibbles.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
My take is that it's really tough to get truly scientific info on what's best for a puppy because of the big dollars involved in the dog food industry. To say that a dog food company sales representative is "expert" is a bit of a stretch IMO--it's not exactly on a par with a peer reviewed scholastically based scientific study.

As it's already been said, there have been champion dogs fed adult food, "home recipes", puppy food and whatever else during the first year or two. But, I'd like to think there some science, however industry biased, that a food designed for puppy nutrition maybe a bit better than other alternatives. After all, human babies have special nutritional requirements...they need more fats than adults their first few years for brain and other organ development, etc. Flip side of the coin is that I seriously doubt puppy foods are "juiced" with growth hormones or anything that could lead to abnormally fast development--I do think it's possible to stunt growth and/or incur developmental damage by not meeting key nutritional requirements.

That said, I'd wager that the potential upside of feeding a pup labeled puppy chow is bigger than the potential downside of it. Also, I'd wager that the potential upside of feeding a puppy puppy chow vs. any of the alternatives is greater too.

Mt Goat

Reaction score
wmidbrook

I've been around puppies my entire life. My family breed dogs and so on. The puppy foods today if you feed them to long it can cause fast growth, and overgrowth. I dont think the are juiced, but they are designed to promote growth. I've seen pups that were fed the high end puppy foods for a year plus and most all of them were huge when compaired to there litter mates at the same age, that were taken off the puppy food at 5-6 months. If you know your dog lines and breed standards and have been producing dogs within that range and standard for several years where the bitchs have averaged 45-55lbs 20-24 inches tall, and the males are 55-70lb 23-26 inches tall, all within that breed standards. Then you see dogs from these lines that have been fed the high end dog foods for long periods of time and they are full grown at a year or even much bigger than whats been produced from these lines in the past you can conclued that how and what the dog has been fed is the difference.

A fast growing puppy COULD (not always) develope growth plate issues, joint issues etc... Also, today with the increase with bloat/tortion in bigger dogs, heart issues with bigger dogs, Hip issues with all breeds, cancer on the raise in all breeds etc... does feeding your dog high end puppy food to long, run the risk of these issues popping up ? especially when some of these issues are already a potental issue in some breeds. Its not worth the risk IMO

Now if I am retarding my dogs growth, or stunting his growth, by taking them off high end puppy food to fast and they are within what the line has produces and with in what the breed stardard states, am I doing the dog a disservice ? If the dog is fit and looks healthy I dont think so.

Larry Lowell

83blazer

Reaction score
Mt. Goat I would also like to have my dog fully grow in 1 1/2 -2 years.

Let me understand all these great discussions.

You believe I should feed my puppy some high end large breed puppy formula for 5-6 months and then switch over to an adult dog food?

Which large breed puppy formula do you recommend? I looked at Iams large breed puppy and it has corn listed as one of the first 5 ingredients.

barel74

Reaction score
something I left out. We have chickens, so we add eggs for the pups. They love it, and full of protein. Also, just compare some labels. You'll see exactly what the difference is. Biggest difference is on the price tag

Mt Goat

Reaction score
As for the Top Name Brands on the market are concerned, Eukanuba Puppy, IMO is the best, followed by Pro Plan Puppy and Nutra Max Puppy, being equal. Iams is owned by Eukanuba or at least at one time it was, not sure if it still is ? Price play a roll in what most people feed. Eukanuba last I looked was running around $32-$40 a bag, the other two about $30-$32.

Make note that my comments are just my opinions, and to each his own. Vets will all have differents of opinions too, as do breeders, trainers, hunters, and regular pet owners etc....

I start feeding puppies puppy food at 5 weeks and stop feeding my puppies puppy food at 5 months. Its at that time that I switch them over to an Adult Lamb and Rice. Right now I'm feeding Purina Pro Plan, and am happy with it. Costs determine what I feed. I switched to Purina when all the other dog food companys started having grain related deaths issues. Purina buys their gains here in the USA not in China. Purina didnt have any of the issues related to the dog deaths, like Eukanuba, Nutro, Diamond, ect... etc... etc... did. Also Purina has a Breeders Program that reduces my cost per bag by $7. Thats based on the amount of food I feed each month (we collect weight seals). We also shop at Petsmart and have a Petsperks card which takes off $5 per bag, so I can normally get a 37lb bag of Pro Plan that runs $30-$32 a bag, for around $18-$20. So for myself Purina, for the cost, is the most cost affective way for me to feed a good food, at a great price.

If I could afford it I would be feeding my personal puppies Eukanuba Puppy Lamb andRice, and my 5 month and older puppy and dogs Eukanubas Adult Lamb and Rice. Then during hunting season if your dog needs it, because you hunt all the time and your having trouble keeping weight on your dog, I would switch to Eukanuba Performance. All this said, I fed Eukanuba for years, but stopped when they joined forces with HSUS, an anti-pet owner rights and anti-hunting Organization. After the back lash from the dog world, they cut ties with HSUS. Again all that said, I never went back. I found a more affordable way to go, and am happy with the outcome. BUT if I could get Eukanuba for the same price as I do Purina, I would switch back, because again IMO they are the best, of all the dog food companys I've used. Also Eukanuba is no longer giving money to the HSUS, and have admitted they made a mistake, buy doing so in the first place.

Larry Lowell

83blazer

Reaction score
I just went out and bought a 37lb or 40 lb bag of Eukanuba large breed puppy for $44 and change. I just bought it 10 min. ago.

Mt Goat

Reaction score
If you shop at Petsmart, get the petsperks card it takes $5 off each bag of dog food. Helps alittle.

I heard the prices of dog food were going to go up because of the costs of Rice, and Gas. $44 a bag that sucks.

Larry Lowell

Mt Goat

Reaction score
I have a friend that buys directly from Eukanuba. He buys a pallet at a time. The cost for him is $32 a bag, he also gets the Breeders bags that are 44lbs for that price.

Larry Lowell

THE LAB GUY

Reaction score
Hope you have better luck with it than I have had from that food company, not only that they have corn in there food . I used to get it for $32 per bag as well and really didn't notice anything on the performance side from feeding there food. Plus you are also paying for the shelf space and for there advertising. That is part of the reason for $42-$44 per bag. The Lab Guy

Top Bottom