Is it the Bungee cords??

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
A few weeks back I got some new bungees - they have a series of holes along their length so you can adjust them easily.  They work great, but I've noticed a recent decline in the number of "sensitive" species in my pics - 'yotes, deer, bobcat, etc.
These cords smell pretty bad - almost like burnt rubber.  Anyone think that might keep some animals away?? Or ever had a similar problem??

Archilochus

bowbender

Reaction score
thats a possibility, try a little vanilla extract on the cords or dribble around cam sight, works well!

gizz

Reaction score
Hi Arch,
At my favorite hot spot i noticed the same thing happen over a period of a few weeks. I moved the camera to a nearby, but different, spot and low and behold I got more pics of my cam "buddies". Seems they began to realize it was there and maybe they'd just rather avoid the nuisance flash by going around the cam. After about 4 weeks with no cam there I recently put it in the same favorite tree and it ripped off a roll in 4 nights or less. I still have to get them developed to know for sure how long it took. I don't think they're afraid of it but rather, why not avoid it if they can. Also if your going in the woods on a regular basis your scent will contaminate the area to the point that the most sensitive creatures will leave for a while. Don't know about the rest of you but I seem to get my best pics the days after a rain.
Of course you still may want to get some different bungies if they smell that bad. Masking them with a flavor scent may attract bears, if you have em where your at. I'm not cutting your approach bowbender, but i think in my case if i put vanilla around my cams the bears would "eat them".
Good Luck.

(Edited by gizz at 5:47 pm on Aug. 30, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I don't know if those Stinkin' Cords are the problem but I went to long, subdued shoe strings to tie mine on trees now, it's a lot easier.  

I can hold the cam against the tree by leaning on it, or Kneeing it, and reach around and tie it on.

what I do is tie a loop on one end of the string, go-around the tree with the other end and loop this end thru this loop and cinch it down.  I can pinch the line with my thumb and forefinger, holding the tension while I tie a single bow-tie knot.....

Seems much easier to me, and I can just drop the sttring into the enclosure for storage.

Tinhorn

gizz

Reaction score
Tinhorn, sure would help all the cuts I get on my hand when I try and s-t-r-e-t-c-h an 8" bungie around a 16 inch tree and it slips! It comes around the tree so fast there's no time to react.

glen71

Reaction score
I understand using vanilla, but how would "dribbling" on your cam help? :D

ToledoBend

Reaction score
I have read quite a few places that there is a chemical excreted by human hands called butric (sp?) acid.  This is the same chemical that is in stomach acid and smells so bad when you puke.  Deer can supposedly smell butric acid in extremely minute concentrations.  It might help to wash your hands real well with non-scented soap and also wear rubber gloves when hanging your gamecam.  It wouldn't hurt to wipe down the gamecam case with some scent eliminator spray.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Well, we went from Stinkin' Straps to Stinkin' Hands but ToledoBend may have something there, even the Buzzards apparently smelled me a while back

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
You still workin' on those buzzards Tinhorn?!  Savin' 'em for the pic contest, eh????

Archilochus

Reaction score
I think I'll toss the bungees (or use 'em on my canoe) and try gizzs' shoestring suggestion - then I can really say I'm workin on a "shoestring" budget.
I'm sure one of the MANY bears up here would happily munch on any vanilla cover scent.  My luck ol' Mega-bear (gotta be 550lbs) would find the cam and flatten it!

Thanks for the suggestions,

Archilochus

gizz

Reaction score
The shoestring idea was Tinhorn's, but heck, I'll take the credit :smile-blue

Matt in MO

Reaction score
I use the old "chinese finger cuffs" style rope from a older set of rope-on tree stand steps. Works sweet. Have an old mouse pad glued to the back of the camera case to "grip" the tree better.

Advertisement

Top Bottom