ISE sportsman shows

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Does anyone attend the ISE Sportsman shows anymore. When I lived in Monterey County we used to carpool and go to the one in San Mateo. That one has been closed for years. Now that I live a lot closer to the Sacramento show I have only been twice in 10 years. I am thinking about attending the show on the 18th (next Thursday). I have a couple of specific things in mind or I wouldn't bother going. Years ago they all had lots of hunting guides and representatives from a lot of the western states. Not so much anymore. A lot less hunting related guides than there used to be. Since I fish a lot now I can take advantage of some of the fishing stuff but I really go for the hunting info. I hope to see more hunting info this year than there has been on some other years but I doubt it. I figure if I only go once every five yeas I can at least see the trends on how the shows are being run.
Years ago I joined WU at one of the shows and booked a couple of trespass fee hunts at shows in the past. Buddies have booked fishing trips to Alaska as well as guided elk and deer hunts. Most of the hunts turned out OK. No trophies but at least they got a couple of decent animals. I will be looking for info on Wyoming and Idaho.
Anyone else go to these shows?

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Have never been, and the shows look interesting but given the choice i'd spend the time looking for fresh water to fish or.... sheds and mushrooms.

norcaljc

Reaction score
I have been to the show in Sacramento 4 of the last 5 years. Not sure how the ISE was prior, or if it has changed for the better or worse, but I have found it very useful for my needs. The first year I attended was strictly as a fisherman. It was a good time, hung out with my fishing partner looking at boats we would love to one day afford, checked out some cool gear we don't see at our local shops, and spent way too much money on jerky from one of the vendors. But it was at that show that I got curious about hunting. The next year I attended with the focus on learning about hunting. It was at a seminar hosted by Parrey Cremeans that I learned of jesses and the journey began. I find now that as I spend more time in the field I don't get as much out of the seminars as I did the first couple of years, but I still enjoy going. Speaking of more time in the field, this year I plan to be sitting in a pond waiting on ducks to fly over on Saturday and Sunday, so if I attend it will likely be Thursday as well.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
A couple of buddies that used to go with me to the San Mateo show will not go the Sacramento show because they are still duck hunting. They might go if it was in March like the San Mateo show was. I figure I should go every now and then just to see it. I will probably spend $100 on fishing lures but I hope to gather some hunting info. Most show specials on fishing equipment can be matched on line so no big deal on the show specials anymore. You do get to see the products in person and that can be helpful.
I don't know if they even sell ammo at the shows an longer.

Planetcat

Reaction score
I attended the San Mateo one each year until it closed. I have considered going to the Sacramento one, but I cant imagine it being worth 2+ hr. drive each way. Time is precious these days.

dthome

Reaction score
I've attended in past years, but don't anymore. The $10 parking and $16 entrance fee nullifies any savings I might otherwise get. It's worth attending if you're making a big purchase (boat, camper, etc), or if booking an Alaska trip or something. Otherwise, it isn't worth it for me.

beancounter04

Reaction score
Last year Idaho had a booth at the expo. They were very helpful, so if you are looking for info about Idaho it might be worth your time.

Top Bottom