ISO film for low/no light

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
A friend of mine wants me to build him a cam to use for surveilance(sic?). He knows a little bit more about photography than I do and wanted to know if he could use ISO 1600 film with no flash in the Canon Owl PF. The manual says ISO 400 is recommended, but doesn't say you can't use a higher speed rating.

Anyone have any ideas??

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
I would ask in the trail cam forum and see what speeds those in there have used.  I wouldn't have any suggestions concerning that camera, sorry.

Eric

gantley

Reaction score
Someone had got to try it....  1600 is rather fast film.  Drop by Wal-Mart to see if they carrie it.  If not, pick a roll up at the local photo shop.  Try it and let us know!

I have shot 800 or 1600 in a Nikon FG SLR camera before that was not rated for the film and did well.  VERY well.  Your can see the stiches in the base ball.  

The guys at the photo lab that put the Owl together may not have ever thought anyone in their right mind would be making motion actuated camera that needed 1600 ISO so they never tested it....

billkay

Reaction score
That particular camera may not be capable of reading an ISO that high.  Most modern negative films have a fairly wide exposure latiude of about 1-2 stops in either direction.  Over exposure is the better option if you are able o chose.  Another alternative that is cool but takes some experimantation is to shoot with infra-red film.

Top Bottom