It May Happen?

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
Once my elder gal, "Sadie" bites the dust, I'll be prepping my younger gal, for her street walking days!
She'll be 3 years old come July!
I'll be preparing to have her, hip certified, along with any, prospective stud?
So, anyone, that may be interested in the "Hungarian Vizsla Breed" keep this in mind! I've been owning/hunting this breed since 1979!

I'm on my personal fifth "charge" which is who I'll be breeding, primary purpose, I've learned, that, if I want a pup that will assimilate, what I've come to know as a worthwhile hunting companion, I'll breed my bitch to acquire it!

I'm foremost, and primarily, a hunter! I know of the test requirements, the trials requirements, and lastly, the purists
breed requirements!

I rarely breed dogs, and only do it for my personal desire to acquire a pup from what has worked so well for me!

The bloodline is well known, however, I haven't, nor will I ever, compete, test, trial, or other endeavor known to the certificate worlds, to prove the fact that the dogs I've owned, and rarely bred, can, will, do, and meet, the standards of this particular breed!

This particular breed, has served me extremely well for almost three generations, otherwise, I'd never have stayed with the breed!

That said, I do know, there are multiple of extremely fine breeds that, even I, being the affecionado that I am, of the "Hungarian Vizsla" breed, I'll be the last person to speak poorly of the many other fine breeds of "sporting dogs" that exist!

Bird dog ownership, to me, is the "epitome" of canine ownership! Most of these breeds, provide, the "security" of any "guard dog" the loyalty of all dogs, but, most importantly, the natural ability to seek, find, and "destroy" the game birds we pursue!

Alex M

Reaction score
What sets the Vizla apart from other pointing and versatile breeds?

I have owned pointing labs for the past 7 years, and I really like them. But, Im looking at adding another dog to my family. I want an extremely versatile dog, one that can hunt upland and waterfowl. I like strong pointing dogs, so a strong pointer is a must. The dog must be a good retriever and a good marking dog. Must have a good temperment and should be fairly trainable.

I like traditional pointing breeds but most lack the retrieve drive and marking ability that I need.

abreojo

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alex M @ Apr 12 2008, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What sets the Vizla apart from other pointing and versatile breeds?

I have owned pointing labs for the past 7 years, and I really like them. But, Im looking at adding another dog to my family. I want an extremely versatile dog, one that can hunt upland and waterfowl. I like strong pointing dogs, so a strong pointer is a must. The dog must be a good retriever and a good marking dog. Must have a good temperment and should be fairly trainable.

I like traditional pointing breeds but most lack the retrieve drive and marking ability that I need.[/b]
For what you describe, if I were you I would look into Deutsch Kurzhaars (DKs), Deutsch Drahthaars (DDs) or Pudlepointers (PPs). Those are the big 3 for true versatiles.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
fine breeds mentioned indeed!

And with the "marking/retrieving desires you seek, which leads me to believe you waterfowl more than upland?

If so, and I were in your shoes, I'd probably do like I've done, and stick with what I've come to enjoy, so, your PL's just may be the "ticket?"

There in no question in my mind that the versatile breeds previously mentioned can/will do a waterfowler well, assuming the dog is trained to do so! As can/could a Vizsla, its just thought most folks haven't put in the time, etc. to make it happen, and, quite frequently the case with the other versatiles mentioned.

All of my dogs have made water retrieves, and can remember multiple blind retrieves, along with them not finding altogether a bird dropped/crippled or otherwise! They're not perfect, I won't proclaim any of them to have been/are!

I've come to recently learn that the "Hungarian Vizsla" just may be the oldest breed to have ever been recorded?
Older than any of the well known/loved German breeds even!

I posted a link to the best written history of the breed here, or you can google search and find it I"m certain!

red dog

Reaction score
Big daddy, I might just have the stud your looking for.

Alex M

Reaction score
I do about 50/50. Maybe I'll just stick with my pointing labs, but I would really like to try out another kind of dog, I have hunted over many different types of dogs but have only ever owned labs so I'd like to try out another breed.

I have been talking with a few different drahthaar breeders and they sound like really nice dogs. I will be going to a few tests to check them out this spring and talk with other breeders and owners. If I do decide to get another breed right now Im leaning towards the drahthaar.

abreojo

Reaction score
DDs are very good hunting dogs. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of them seem dog sharp though generally good around people. My DD friends tell me they will not keep a cat in the same house with one and that you have to really establish who is in charge with them. I have been looking into DKs and they seem more biddable, maybe a little easier to train. Thinner coats (think GSP vs GWP) but I have corresponded with breeders who hunt waterfowl in with them in December/January in ND, SD Michigan and Maine. The few PPs I have seen seem like the softest of the three and the most focused on their owner. I hear they don't shed much either. So far I have not seen a single example of any of the 3 breeds that did not have more drive and apparent ability that I could ever use. The breeding/testing programs that produce these dogs are impressive.

I don't know where you live, but you can see all of them at a So Cal chapter training day at Prado. Breeders have encouraged me to attend breed tests, especially the utility/VGP test and I will as soon as I find one reasonably local to me.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
Reddog, I don't doubt it for a second!
We've talked in the past, and I remember, you having, or had, some very well known bloodlines within this breed!

When I'm ready, I just may have to give you a buzz?

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom