It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!

Varmint Al

Reaction score
It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. I got a call from the Levee District and they told me about a bunch of ground squirrels that were digging holes in our island's levee. I had to go out today and work on reducing the levee tunneling problem. They even cleared the brush off the section of the levee where all the squirrels were located. I setup so the shots would be about 80-200 yards. Close range, but I can't afford to miss any of them. I "worked" at it for about 2 hours today and got 12 squirrels and fired a total of shot 13 rounds.

The first round was to foul the barrel and to get an idea of the wind drift. There was a stiff wind blowing from right to left and caused the impact to print about 1.5 inches to the left at about 100 yards. The ground squirrels were very fat and easy targets and probably mostly females. When they are digging holes in the levee that keeps your island dry, you don’t worry about letting them hatch out the young squirrels. Anyhow, the Encore in 223 Ackley Improved was flawless. I got every squirrel I shot at. I had one squirrel that was flat in the ground act like a helicopter that went about 10' in the air. The muzzle brake allows me to see the bullet impact through the scope.

This is the first squirrel shoot of the year and the Tasco 8-32X by 50mm WCP worked perfectly. Except for the wind, it was right on zero and I only needed the 20X power setting for these distances. The 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at about 3940 fps were working very well. None of the squirrels made it down the hole after being hit.

I will go back in a few days and check for stragglers.

VarmintCoop

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to mention - On the 5th of next month I will have a brand new, never shot, in the box 700 VLS in .223 with a Bushell 6-18x50 nightstalker compleat with harris bipod that I am dying to try out!

=)

-Coop

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Went back out Saturday to check for stragglers. I sat there about an hour and the Encore 223 Ackley Improved spoke 4 times. On the way back home, I stopped at a big mound of dirt about 80 yards away from the levee face and set to watch with the 17 Ackley Hornet. The Ackley Hornet also spoke 4 times. Eight fewer ground squirrels to dig holes in the levees. These T/C Contenders and Encores are sure reliable firearms. Good work when you can get it.... from Varmint Al

russ

Reaction score
Hey Al couldn't take it anymore them pictures are driveing me crazy.Found 2 barrels today for my Encore.Both heavy barells 7mm Rem Mag,other 223.

If your that way check out my post in the rifle forum.

Man my better half going to be a little up tight,got any good excuses I could use.

(Edited by russ at 10:24 am on Mar. 5, 2002)

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Not guaranteed to work, but it is worth a try. I told my wife that rifles are sexy and breed in dark places. I told here if I put two rifles in a dark closet and come back in 2 or 3 weeks and look, there is a third rifle.

Sidekick

Reaction score
"Some one has to do it" In the vernacular of the 1970's. Eat your heart out!  I'm jealous.

Advertisement

Top Bottom