Its ALIVE, i Its ALIVE

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I have finally got my first prototype Cam working.  Check it out on my Cam Page at:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~claydubois/

Warning, it may take a while to download the pages.  For some reason it's slow as hell.  

I still has a ways to go to get it where I want it to be, but so far, it has functionally been working perfectly.  The time/date/temp stamp works well and I do not have to have the camera installed to use it.

All I need to do now is design my own PIR circuit.  I am not happy with the 30 second power on wait period of the Mainstay PIR board.  I am also trying to build a nice mounting bracket inside the enclosure to mount the electronics and PIR sensor  nice and clean.  Right now, I just have everything screwed to the chassis.  

I am placing it in the woods for the first time next weekend.  So far, all I have done is taken some lovely pics of my rat terriers jumping the fence.  Hopefully, all will go well.  Thanks to all of you for the great tips and ideas!  I could not have done it without you.  

(Edited by Jaggermax at 7:34 am on July 9, 2001)

(Edited by Jaggermax at 7:35 am on July 9, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hey Jaggermax,

good job on the camera and webpage. The reason your webpage is taking so long to load is the pics files are huge. You can compress those pic files from over 250k to under 30k and still keep the same pic size. If you don't have a way to compress the pic file size holler, I can compress them for you. I'm on a dial up modm at home here and big pic files kill me too.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Doh!!!.  I had stored the files as bitmap and not JPEGs.  Anyway, thanks Spectr.  I reloaded them onto the site and they are coming up faster now.  I also will be posting the wiring details for the Fuji 90, Samsung Maxima, and the Minolta Freedom next weekend, when I get my good pictures back from Walmart to scan in.  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Jaggermax

uh-oh,  I get a "File not Found  (404)" error ? ? ?

Tinhorn

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Jaggermax - Congratulation.....that's F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C !

I have a million questions, but will wait until you get settled down.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Jaggermax,
VERY impressive!!  Looks like you're ready to go into business - your cam looks/sounds better than many commercial units out there.
>>>>>>>
I've been using Pelican boxes for my newer cams and find them to be worth the extra few bucks.  Never leak, very sturdy.
If you come up with some security bracket ideas, I'd love to see them - I just can't seem to come up with any reasonably easy to make security ideas for this box.
>>>>>>>>
Any ideas on how you plan to eliminate the 30 second "warm-up" period for your PIR sensor?? - that's another one that has me stumped - my home-made sensors take ~45 seconds before they operate properly after turn on and I'd love to eliminate that delay.

Many thanks for sharing info on your project!

Archilochus

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I',m curious ARC as to what exactly causes the delay.  At first I thought it may be the big, orange AC filter cap, so I took it off and then the sensor would not operate.  It stayed in a low state.  I know it is not the quad op-amp chip they use, so my guess was that it is the PIR sensor itself.  I removed the RE200B sensor from another mainstay board and played around with the basic output of the sensor.  

I have already connected just the sensor with some driver resistors up to my O-Scope and I do not see any kind of power up delay like that experienced with the entire Mainstay board.  The detection wave is very small without amplification (~10mV Pk-Pk approx.), but I can see it changing when my hand passes over the sensor.  My guess is that it is that large capacitor causing the delay.  

Have any of you built a sensor using the Glolab schematic?  If so, did it also show the power on delay?  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Jaggermax,
I've not built any of the various Glolab sensor circuits, but my "basic motion sensor" at
http://www.geocities.com/archilochus57 is very similar to the Glolab circuits.   If you look at the "basic motion sensor" schematic,  you'll see two 33uF capacitors,  one at the "-" input of U1A, and one between the output of U1A and the "-" input of U1B.  These capacitors are part of the bandpass filter (for the lower frequencies) that limits the sensors frequency to between ~0.15Hz and 10Hz.  They are also the cause of the erratic behavior during power-up.  When power is off, these caps are discharged.  When power is switched on, the caps have to charge up and stabilize - but during the charge-up time they cause the second stage amplifier output to slam all the way to near the positive rail for ~30 to 45 seconds, which causes the window comparator output to go high, which causes a triggering of the cam if the cam is turned on.  The MS-20 and Glolab circuits both have similar caps in their circuits.
I've read of some PIR sensors that claim to have overcome this problem, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to do it!  I was kinda hoping you had some ideas......

Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom