its all over now

killinturks

Reaction score
got my 2nd turk of the year yesterday, after 3 frustrating days on public land that had already been hard hit. i could find birds there but they were pretty shy. as soon as i started calling they shut up. i had a small piece of private land but i saved it for the weekend as i knew public might have some competition. so saturday morning i was out to Todds at 430 am. i had planned on going all the way to the back off his small swamp but halfway through i kicked one off the roost. i moved halfway up the ridge and headed out again didnt get too far and heard a gobble just below me so i set up camp at the crest of the ridge. set out a hot hen and a jake in the mating position and cleaned out a spot under an oak which just almost was as wide as me but not not quite. best i could find at the time. i let it settle a while and made a few calls. there were at least three more toms back in the neighboring land which was off limits.and then a few real hens joined in, which they all seemed to like better than me. breaks of the game, i guess. so when old tommy flew down he went for the real thing.one thing i have noticed, and been told by other hunters is that after flydown they all have been getting real quiet. so after a while i set up a small blind and made myself more comfortable. the sun was starting to warm me up and i got kinda sleepy. i must have napped for 15 - 30 minutes before i woke up.not an uncommon thing for me to do, bad habit. i must have been up for 10 minutes when a gobbler announced his presence in the swamp below me. i gave a few light yelps then a few purrs and clucks,set down the call and got my shotgun ready. maybe 5 - 10 minutes went by and then i see a red head sneaking along the ridge bout half way up, kinda over my right shoulder. he slowly made his way until he was just below me then looked up. man, i thought i was done but he went back to working his way along stopping ocassionally to look up top for the hen. when he got farther on my left so it wasnt too awkward to shoot and stepped behind a tree i swung the ol 870 the rest of the way over  and cheeked the stock tight. he stepped out and looked up, si i lined up and gave him the payoff. he dropped and flopped and started rolling downhill. i safetyed the 870 and started downhill, when i reached him i see a big hole in his breast. seemed kinda odd but i grabbed him and started for my gear. i also noticed most of his beard was gone, just a thick stubby patch with some long hairs sticking out, i knew he had a beard when i shot him, but i had not payed much attention to it. when i got back to Todds it was about 10 am.we went to register it and borrowed the digital camera from work, which neither of us knew much about, but we got three pics. they seem to be very large bitmap files which took forever to send to my email account so i couldnt figure out how to post them. i dropped Todd off and showed him where i hunted. there was the rest of tommys beard, i shot it off.upon cleaning him i found the wad was what blew the hole in his breast,it made it all the way into the body cavity, thats a first. i hit him just a little too low, mabe from shooting downhill? he weighed just over 21 lbs, 3-4" spurrs all rounded off, and what was left of his beard was about 10 1-2". good enough to ride in my trunk anyway. well, i wish you guys with time left the same good fortune i have enjoyed this year, 2 toms both over 21# and one  a double beard, it was a very good year for me. good luck to all you folks still got tags.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
killinturks,Congrats,Was he about 5 foot away?The wad penetrated?you should just take all the shot out and use wads only:smile-blue

killinturks

Reaction score
no, he was about 22 yards downhill. we were putting wads through paper at 40 yards practicing. winchester 3" #5 turkey loads. i could not believe it did that, i kept the wad to show at work cuz they arent gonna believe me.its covered with meat and feathers. maybe they are not splitting and some of the shot is still in it, i dont know.

killinturks

Reaction score
thanks guys, i really enjoy just being out there in the peace and quiet, with no machines running but the birds are definately welcome too

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Congrats killinturks.

Heck of a load to be putting wads into a turkey breast at 40 yards. Got that sneaky bugger though.

On hitting low by shooting downhill, I found that out the hard way a few years back. After trying to entice two toms above me over/under a fence for a shot one of them went under and peeked over the lip above me at 39 yards. I had to lean out from my hide in a poison oak covered underbrush for a steep angle shot and I dropped him but he flew off kind of cattywhompus looking. We never did find him after looking all that morning. A buddy was throwing pine cones at me for missing and shooting too far and I lasered the distance and replayed the shot and couldn't figure out what had happened. I knew I had my cheek down since it was the last thing through my mind as I lit the fuse. This was before I had a scope and I was using 2 beads for sights.

That week it bugged me so much I went out and set up the same steep angle shot to see where my pattern would hit. At 39 yards, same shooting position my pattern skewed high right for some reason. I probably just got him in the head with a pellet or two and that's what stunned/dropped him and he quickly recovered to sail off the ledge onto the ridge across from me. I heard him hit and the  loud thump didn't sound like a good set down but he simply vanished. Most of my practicing was standing or sitting, or sitting and twisting around a tree. I had forgotten about high and low angle shooting and to practice it to know where my pattern would hit. Lesson learned the hard way I guess. I'm sure some yote enjoyed the benefits of my shooting skills that night.

killinturks

Reaction score
the turkey was only bout 22 yards, but they went through paper at 40.

Top Bottom