• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

J-18

Steve1978

My son drew a J-18 tag. Still after his first deer. They took out alpine county from this tag. Now I am really lost where to take him. Any helpful tips would be awesome thanks.

My daughter drew that tag this year. That and X1 with me also. After two years of armed hiking I think she has a good chance. It will be her deer also. Have you hunted D-5? We are going to go to D-5 locations that we have seen does at in the past. Maybe drive around those places the week before.

amadorhunter

My son drew this tag twice when he was a junior hunter. If you have hunted in the correct counties in D-5 it is an easy hunt. He filled his tag on both hunts with in hours. Good luck to your young hunters.

JohnCo

I'd go to where I'd consistently seen does in the past. Set him up on a solid rest and let the deer move into your area. Does generally don't spook too bad as they normally aren't hunted.

twbowhunter

Both my sons drew that tag 3years in a row a good place to start is foster meadow there is easy roads for roads hunting and plenty of good ground to cover head towards the fire lookout hunt the roads to the left on the way up to the lookout there's a road to the right of the lookout right below it that dead ends go to the dead end and walk in behind the lookout we always caught deer back there make sure you know the boundaries because the other side of 88 it's not Huntable for that tag P.m. me if you need more info and I'll send you my phone number

Thanks twbowhunter, in the past we had been more along the Mormon Immigrant Trail near Pilliken. We had no luck finding bucks during season. This will give us another option to check out. She and I really appreciate all the tips from everyone.

Tybombero

My daughter drew that tag too. We are pretty excited. Is it only Alpine that is removed from D5 for the J18 hunt? I thought Tuolumne and Calaveras were not part of it either. If you can hunt Calaveras and have access to a boat, you can hunt the south and eastern shores of New Hogan Resv with archery or shotgun and the numbers of does are like seagulls at a dump.

How is the J18 hunt going for everyone? My daughter has the tag this year. Went up with my 9 year old son to scout it out, and I have a D5 tag, spent Friday afternoon up by Loon lake and Saturday afternoon around Wrights Lake, just two does and some sign, but nothing special. She doesn't have any free time until the 13th, so going to spend some more time this weekend on a few other areas south of 50 this weekend.

twbowhunter

My son went up today deer we're moving he filled his second deer tag a couple hours after he got up there and he's not a junior hunter

Sounds like you guys have a good place figured out, congrats on the deer. Took the kids up after school on Friday to the Loon lake area, five miles and the kids did great, only had to hush them up a few times. Kicked out two does but they didn't stick around for a shot. Daughter had a soccer game so my son, dad and I went up on Saturday. Saw a few does but most of had young fawns, some with spots still.

Kids have Friday off and it looks like no soccer on Saturday, going to give it a go until I need to travel for work.

Terry

twbowhunter

I would try the foster meadow area I know of a few bucks taken out of there this year an there always were doe to be found

Tybombero

My daughter got a doe off Ice house Road and white meadows roads. Just careful cuz there’s a lot of private property in there ...

Top Bottom