J18 Question

Lahontan

Reaction score
My son drew J18 for his first ever submission. Its an either sex tag in D5, excluding a few counties that don't allow doe hunting. I don't need help finding a doe, he will be trying for a buck but will take a doe if we have a good opportunity. Was wondering if there is anything to consider different than a buck when dressing or selecting which doe. Im probably just overthinking this a bit and bored but thought id ask. Obviously tagging will be different. Thanks in advance.

JohnCo

Reaction score
I took my younger sister on this J18 hunt last year. It was her first deer. She passed on a few medium/smaller ones because they just didn't feel right to her. Some of the does had fawns so obviously we passed those. It was definitely different than shooting a buck. Took longer to decide to shoot or not. Some got away while she was making up her mind. Other times the does were completely unafraid and she didn't shoot those because it feel too easy somehow to have them just be almost tame. One doe had a gps collar and no fawns, I thought that would be cool but she didn't want to shoot that one either.

Eventually she filled her tag on a second hunting trip. I think she enjoyed not tagging out the first day and making it more of a hunt than just a drive up and shoot one right off the bat. I wish I could have found her a buck but it hasn't happened yet. She has some physical challenges and can't walk very far as a result. So it was really a road hunt situation.

Top Bottom