Jackrabbit hunting in Socal - where?

glock40

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good place to hunt jackrabbits in Southern California? I will probably use a .22lr or a bolt action .223

I live in Orange County and am willing to drive a couple hours.

Thanks in advance.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
I saw several jacks up in the Carrizo plains, it will take you a couple hours to get there, straight up 5 to 166, look at your map! Get there before sunrise and you should see cottontails and jacks, maybe a coyote or two. The Taft area just to the east of the plains will hold jacks also, flat walking within the oil fields.

jmartinez74

Reaction score
Hey glock40,
I usually hunt the Los Pinos area for Jacks. I've bagged 3 Jacks
and 5 cottontails on two trips out there. It's in the Frazier Park area,
on the 5 before you start going down the hill. Where in OC are you
from? I'm also from OC, and next time I go up there, I'll let you know.
Don't need the .223 if you ask me. Longest shot for me was 40 yards.

glock40

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I live in Mission Viejo. I was thinking about taking my son out shooting this weekend. Would you have any directions on how to get to the areas best to start hunting? I want to especially be sure I am in a place where I can legally fire my rifle. It is difficult to know where to go from a legal standpoint.

Jaeger

Reaction score
Try the Juniper Flats or Cayote Flats south of Victorville. Turn east from Interstate 15 onto Bear Valley Road and drive 10 miles to Central Avenue. Turn south on Central and get on Coxey Truck Road. I got 4 Jacks last Saturday in that area.

glock40

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on Victorville. That sounds a little closer. Can you use centerfire rifles in this area?

Thanks!

jmartinez74

Reaction score
Best bet is to try the local sherrif's office to verify shooting in the
area. I know that you have to be out of city limits to be able to shoot.
If you are in a legal shooting area, try looking for them hanging out
in the shade of the bigger shrubs. Bear in mind that they blend in
extremely well, so look out for their silouhette or those telltale ears.
Glad to hear you're taking the young one out, we need the youth to
carry on our hunting heritage.

glock40

Reaction score
Thanks alot jmartinez and Jaeger. You guys are awesome. I used to hunt jackrabbits as a kid in the local hills by Ridgecrest where I grew up. My son is 11 and passed hunter's safety last year. He is pretty excited to go out. I think we'll use the 10/22. I'll let you guy know how we do. Thanks again.

glock40

Reaction score
In case someone reads this thread later, I wanted to say that the Juniper Flats area is SHOTGUN ONLY according to the BLM people I talked to. So, it looks like I will be leaving the 10/22 at home and will bring our shotguns instead.

glock40

Reaction score
Thanks Jaeger! My buddy and I took our two 11yr old sons out to Juniper flats today. We got 2 cottontails and one jackrabbit. We had a blast. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Dave

Latest Posts

Top Bottom