jackrabbits

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Hey guys. What is the real reason that nobody eats jackrabbits? I have heard so many reasons that I find them hard to believe. Everything from the taste to parasites to liver diseases. What is the truth? I live and hunt in the Hi Desert and they are everywhere. My 13yr old nephew needs some practice with a rifle, but I don't think teaching him to shoot something that he his not going to use is the way to do it. Any help would be appreciated.    Scott

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I think most people avoid them because they are really tough.  I have eaten them and they are just as good to eat as cottontails.  The best way I've found is to slow cook them in a crock pot.  That will really tenderize them.  I have been told that younger ones are more tender and can be prepared the same as cottontail.  You can supposedly tell the younger ones by holding the rabbit up by the back legs, and if you can easily tear the skin on the legs it's going to be a tender rabbit.  

RKBA

Reaction score
I e't mine, just fine.  'sides, 'lot more meat on a jack.  'ad 'nough for my freind to try.

Good huning, good eating.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I used to shoot a few jacks for my dogs to eat when I camped out to hunt cottotail.  One time i diced up the jacks and slow cooked them in deep bacon fat.  They tasted so good I ate half of 'em myself.  Without a special treatment like that, I found that they usually had a sage taste.  I found no difference re parasites bewtween cottontail and jacks.  I've found those big grub like worms under the skin of cottontails in the hot summer desert type areas -- kind of gross, but from all I've read, none of the parasites in the flesh meat of either are harmful if cooked (same as beef, pork, or poultry).  The fleas on rabbits can carry tularemia if they bite you, so it's best to use rubber gloves, although I rarely do.

HY Moose

Reaction score
I have heard that if you fillet the back meat and the main meat off the legs the run it thru a sauaage grinder. Then  mix this with some pork sausage and stuff it in a cassing it makes great rope sausage. I have not tried it but I might if I can get to Kansas hunting this year. I am from Illinois so that is a little drive for me but our season is short and hunting is crowded for rabbits.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Whenever I'm walking the hills, I take every jack I can get.  Most of mine are above 5,000 ft.  Took two at the last Dove opener in AZ and both were great.  I always slow cook in the crock pot.  Usually have to chop in two so they'll fit.  Man, I'm hungry!

gantley

Reaction score
We dont have jacks in East Texas.  We have "swomp rabbits" here.  Swopmers are much better than cotton tails.  Much better!

Top Bottom