Jakes

Deer Hunter

Reaction score
How old is a Jake bird? Will they gobble at you when roosted like a gobbler? Just wondering... someone told me the bird I roosted seemed young. Could it have been a jake? Will he gobble and come in stutting if it was a Jake? Will they roost with hens or by themselves because I fount the hens alittle ways off. gosh, can't wait til Saturday

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Jakes are 1 year old and usually can't gobble very well, most times it's kind of a "Cut-Off" gobble.  Their beards are usually only 2 or 3" long too.  

The mature Tom Turkeys will try to run off jakes a lot of times but even so, they are sometimes together.  Lot's of times it's only Jakes that are together and they run around yapping at every thing.  They are a little more stupider too, or at least less afraid compared to an adult bird and will come in to a call.

Tinhorn

MBullism

Reaction score
They're funny to watch "strut" too!  Sometimes they don't get their fan all the way open, or fully up or straight.  They'll spend alot of time struttin for each other too.  Kinda like teenage boys trying to figure things out, all the while wanting everyone to think they know it all already - LOL

Tominator

Reaction score
I've only seen one jake in a sustained full strut and that was on the final day of the season last year. The little guy was so proud of himself, I didn'thave the heart to shoot him. I wanted to wait and let him really think he's a bad***. Plus i couldn't have shot for laughing, but it was a pleasure to watch.
Tominator

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Here's a pic of 4 jakes that I'm glad to see made it through the spring hunting season.

max

Reaction score
<font size="5"><font color="Red">Great Picture!!!!</font></font>

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Bob, nice pics. Do you get a chance to turkey hunt there? Looks like a good spot. MC.

MBullism

Reaction score
IloveturkeyhuntingIloveturkeyhuntingIloveturkeyhunting

Repeat after me: I love turkey hunting...  Nice pics, CFB... too bad it's so far away!

(Edited by MBullism at 9:52 pm on June 27, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
Nice pics Bob,

I guess now you got something to trade!!Whens the season start

I have been applying for a turkey hunt for 10 years and have yet to get one

Dave

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Beautiful pic Bob.  What are all those scrapes on that tree?  It looks like you may have had a feeder there at one time.  Also the ground is discolored at the base of that tree.  Wutzuuuuuuuuuuup?

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
That's a mineral lick that I made for the deer at the base of that tree. The spot on the tree that you are referring to has a bit of a story behind it! When I hung out my trail cam for the first time I wanted to attract as many critters as possible to burn up some film to see how well the cam was working and to check for flash bleed, etc... Anyway I heard that deer liked the smell of peanut butter, so I thought I would rub some on the tree to attract deer and maybe coons. The ONLY thing that showed ANY interest in the peanut butter was squirrels.... and boy did it ever attract them! Some times I would look out and there would be 6 squirrels hanging on the side of the tree CHEWING on the bark to get the peanut butter! They loved the stuff!

These 4 gobblers frequent the feeder that's set up about 10 yards behind the cabin at camp. During the summer when the poults get big enough to eat corn we'll usually have ~2-3 flocks of 15-30+ birds "each" that come in and feed. It's VERY cool to sit inside the cabin and watch all of these birds feeding just a few steps from the window completely unaware that there's anyone around.

Don't be teasin' me Dave!!! :noddin-yes: Season starts May 1st and runs through the 31st.

vman

Reaction score
Nice pic,
Do you have a fall season??????????

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
We do have a fall season but I seldom mess with them in the fall as it cuts into my bowhunting too much. The fall turkey and deer bow season does over-lap by a couple of weeks, so if one would present a good shot while I was in my treestand it would be in trouble!

jayber

Reaction score
Saw these birds headin' for the timber/shade this morning on my way to work.  And I just happened to have my digital with me!  They were ~200 yards out, taken 5X zoom.

TURKEYS

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom