Jerky time questions

Brnsvllyjohn

I don't make venison jerky every year but I am making some this year. Just a couple of questions for those of you that have made deer jerky.
Dehydrator/food dryer or electric smoker?? Which one do you prefer?

Do you add either onion or garlic to your cure?

We normally use the food dehydrator because it is so easy. Just set the temperature and walk away. You need to rotate the racks for the best results but that is easy. Today I am going to do both. Some on the dehydrator and some on the electric smoker. I have not used this smoker for jerky before but I have used others.

I am not a big fan of garlic or onion in my jerky mix. It seems to leave an odd after taste to me. Most of my friends who make jerky prefer some onion or garlic. My opinion on any food dish is you should prepare it the way your family likes it and we (mostly me) prefer jerky using a basic Teriyaki/ brown sugar with lots of pepper type brine. I need day time snacks for my fishing trips. We vacuum pack our jerky in small portions and freeze it so all I do is grab a couple of packs for a fishing trip.

ChrisAMX

I've only done this once and used electric smoker with Hi Mountain Seasoning. I over smoked a bit but otherwise was good. Friends liked it too.

JohnCo

I prefer an electric smoker.

As far as flavor I use the pre made jerky mixes you can buy(I tend to get them as gifts so I use them). Or like you I go brown sugar and teriyaki with maybe some red pepper flakes or black pepper. I've also crushed up fresh garlic and put that in the marinade. Garlic flavor is subtle but i kinda like it.

OPAH

Make it for you, make some on each as you said and which ever one fills the bill is your to go to one. I like a simple brine but prefer Worcestershire or A1 Pepper, Honey or molasses
depending and a Coors Beer.

Brnsvllyjohn

It is all done. I am trying to figure out the difference between the dehydrator and the smoker. Not a lot of difference but we shall see how it is tomorrow. My son of course wants to do a taste test with my batch from today. He has been using his Bradley smoker for his jerky and dry mixes from a couple of different companies. He has not found a favorite yet. Maybe I just spoiled him with mine. LOL His mixes have been a little too salty for me. However we did eat a lot of his while on a recent hunting trip.

blazintowers

I have been making it on a lil chief electric smoker, highest temp is about 140 so it goes for about 8 hours. cant keep the finished jerky in the house very long with my boy around, loves that stuff...

Brnsvllyjohn

Well John Smoker or Dehydrator ?
My bet is on the smoker !
The jerky from the smoker only has a hint more smoke than the food dehydrator has. When you use a smoker at 140 degrees it really doesn't produce a lot of smoke. It more or less just dries the wood chips in the tray rather than turn them to ashes. I add chips that make contact with the heating element but those burn up quickly so you don't get a long period of smoke.

We also add a little liquid smoke so you get a smoke flavor from either process.

7.5 hours was probably a little longer than I should have dried the meat but not by much.

I had some boneless meat from around the brisket and decided it might not make great jerky. I decided to brine it a few hours (salt, brown sugar, water) and smoke it at 250 degrees. I then added some hot Bar B Que sauce and it makes great sandwiches. I guess I made myself some lunch meat. I slice it really thin and it is more tender than I thought it would be.

OPAH

Sounds Tasty John, Dehydrator or smoker it is all going to get eaten.
Haven't seen my dehydrator in a while, I think the wife may have snuck it by me this last donation round up. So there is only one thing to Do follow the 4 Bs, Buy Bigger Better and Badder one to replace it.
Thank you John its been a smoken good time !

Top Bottom