Jetboil vs. Brunton Raptor Stove

Archer32

Reaction score
I got the itch to try out the Jetboil and purchased one the other day. Its good, buts its going back. My current setup (Brunton Raptor and a cup) is dialed in and I'm sticking with it. I ran a test outback today and here are the specifics. 65degree water. Both cups had exactly 2cups of water poured into them. Both burners lit at the same time and the burners were wide open. Gas cans were brand new. Both stoves ran off of the jetboil gas cans. The outside air was 43 degrees / slight 10mph wind / 3,400' elevation.

Weight of the two items minus the gas can:
Jetboil 15.5oz
Brunton Raptor and Cup 11.8oz

Room it takes up in the pack:
Check out the pictures. Jetboil is about twice as big

Time it took to boil 2 cups of water (rolling boil):
Jetboil (no lid) 4min 9sec
Raptor (no lid) 4 min 40sec

Gas burnt:
I weighed both tanks on my scale prior to lighting them off in the burn out. Both weighed 6.6oz. Here is what they ended up weighing after boiling the water.
Jetboil: 6.4oz
Raptor: 6.2oz
The effecieny goes to the Jetboil but I can live with the Raptor eating up .4oz to boil two cups of water.

I have a few not so good things to say about the Jetboil.... One, the mounting of the cup to the base was alittle akward. The pieces don't join very neatly. I could just see someone burning themselves with scalding water trying to get the two pieces apart. Two, the ignitor stopped working after I tried to light it up a 2nd time after the test. I would assume that I've got a lemon as I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else. But its undoubtedly broke.

My itch is now stratched and I'm keeping the Brunton Raptor and cheap-o cup. By the way the Jetboil gas can fits neatly into my cheap-o cup. I then slap the Raptor burner on top and throw it in a bag. It fits neatly and remains silent in my pack.

The price difference is big between the two as well. I'm not saying the Jetboil isn't good, I'm just sharing my experience. I'm happy with what I have....

Attachments

Archer32

Reaction score
Setup for cooking in the second picture.....

1st picture is of some compressable silicon cups I picked up today. I'll use those for oatmeal/cereal and I'll use the metal cup to drink my coffee out of in the morning.

Attachments

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Archer....how quick/quickly does the Raptor setup cool down? I know i can boil water in the JetBoil and as soon as i'm done, i can pack it up and throw it in my pack....seems to cool down extremely fast, which is a good selling point for me. How's the Raptor and cup setup?

Archer32

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arrowslinger @ Mar 20 2008, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey Archer....how quick/quickly does the Raptor setup cool down? I know i can boil water in the JetBoil and as soon as i'm done, i can pack it up and throw it in my pack....seems to cool down extremely fast, which is a good selling point for me. How's the Raptor and cup setup?[/b]

That's something I took note of as well. Both cool down extremely fast. I was expecting both to be still hot after I dumped the water out and took some pictures (maybe a minute and a half) and both were cold.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
Thanks Archer, that is a great comparison/review.

I'm currently using this one from MSR, but that Brunton seems to be a winner!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I still use my old Boy Scout backpacking stove. It is super reliable, small and lightweight. It's the one thing I haven't upgraded over the years. I like the concept of the Jetboil system, and have eyed it at REI numerous times. It just seems cumbersome to me.

brave52000

Reaction score
The Brunton looks like a fine piece of equipment, but the Jetboil found my pack first, and the differences between the two seem fairly minimal. With that said, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Packer

Reaction score
I too use that raptor and love it. It is nice and compact and has an ignition system on it which is very convienient. I have read alot about the jet boil and it just does not seem that versatile and it looks a little on the large size. If it is really windy I am sure the jetboil would be better but I just find a secluded spot out of the wind and an good to go.

Packer

2rocky

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brave52000 @ Mar 20 2008, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Brunton looks like a fine piece of equipment, but the Jetboil found my pack first, and the differences between the two seem fairly minimal. With that said, if it ain't broke don't fix it![/b]
HEH Heh, I JUST bought a Jetboil. There is always a new product coming out...but I'm sure that continued innovation and competition will only benefit us as consumers in the long run. I've heard that igniters have a short life regardless of brand...They are nice to have but not mandatory for me.

Gary, that was a good article. Seemed pretty objective. I think any one of the three mentioed would serve any of us well.

Shay Mann

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a stove. Thanks Archer32 for your input, and thanks GC4279 for the link to the stove reviews.

CA Bowhunter

Reaction score
HEH Heh, I JUST bought a Jetboil. There is always a new product coming out...but I'm sure that continued innovation and competition will only benefit us as consumers in the long run. I've heard that igniters have a short life regardless of brand...They are nice to have but not mandatory for me.

Gary, that was a good article. Seemed pretty objective. I think any one of the three mentioed would serve any of us well.
[/quote]
DITTO rock
I just bought the Jetboil myself but there is always something new and better coming out. Blake

brushstomper

Reaction score
I am pretty happy with my jet boil but I agree with the ole saying if it aint broke don't fix it. There are a lot of great products out there, choose what works best for you.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I like the jetboil a lot, it is cumbersome which was the only downside for me, but I can handle a tad bigger stove setup for the return. The Jetboil is instantly cool to the touch with the cooling vents, I have picked the stove up as the burner went out and was cool.

I will never deal with the old style stoves again that use non pressurized fuels, too much mess and too many extra things to go wrong. For every equivalent pressurized can of fuel there are ten to fifteen parts to the old style can, and I have had o rings go out far too often to be worth the hassle with this new stuff out there.

Another cool thing about the jetboil is it is what Arrowslinger carries, so I can forget my extra fuel and steal his.

I think David Long at EHJ did a great write up a few months ago about the jetboil and at least one other light weight pack stove, great article.

The above attached article was good as well, I hadn't realized there were other similar options to the Jetboil, but for what I do that Jetboil does it perfectly, and will be in my pack until huge advancements are made, or I get SD to get me sponsored by someone.

RosinBag

Reaction score
Looking at your study, it says you boiled the water with the lid off of the Jetboil and it took 4min and9 seconds. If you put the lid your time will be cut in half. That would make the Jetboil twice as efficient as the Brunton. The Jetboil will give you 19, 2 cups boiled per cannister and the Brunton will only give you about 10. Another big issue is when you get to altidude or get much more wind the Jetboil heat exchanger will cripple the Bruntons efficiency.

David Long did a very good study in Eastmans Bowhunting Journal about 3 months ago and it was outstnading. I am sure the Brunton is a good product, but there isn't anything made yet, that is more efficient at boiling water in the elements as the Jetboil.

Just my opinion....Doug.

JD HHI 6092

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of good stoves out there. Last year we were hunting at about 10,000 ft and my Jet Boil was boiling water faster at that altitude than the stoves the other guys had. I offered my stove and of course they said they said no. I would be dumping water in my freeze dried meal and they would still be waiting on water to boil.

The article in Eastman’s Journal was the one that sold me on the Jet Boil.

barel74

Reaction score
just got my raptor.... what a sweet little unit, about $35 on e-bay. great deal, thanks for the heads up archer32

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom