JHO Coyote Hunt

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Songdog and I were talkng the other day and wondered if there will be enough veterans(called in at least one coyote) to pair up with the rookies(never called a coyote). We're trying to get everything finalized and were curious about it. If you're SERIOUS about coming out, post below and let us know your status...vet or rookie.

Scott

EVAN III

Reaction score
I'm in. Not a vet and not a rookie. Half way between. I will have someone coming with me with more yote experence.

Brian S

Reaction score
  I definitly want to go for that Friday, I'm a rookie at coyotes but not at putting down four leggers. Just show me in camp how to yelp,when to yelp, and tell me where to sit, I'll be good to go. I'll pick up a call this week, bring a couple 12'ers of yotewisers, and some vennison steaks for the bbq.

Brian

Brian S

Reaction score
You got it Evan. I think it will be a kick just to meet up with some of the guys on the site, even if I don't drop the hammer on a dog. I might have to take my neighbors mut up there as a back up so I don't get stuck losing Songdog's yote backstraps bet.

Brian

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Songdog/grtwythunter,

Do you have a date and location fleshed out yet? I'm interested. I just found out I have two four-day weekends coming up, Christmas and New Years

paulc

Reaction score
i am in on the weekend... i am a rookie but am willing to go on my own if no extra vets. i just want to meet some of the folks on the site.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I might be able to go, my wife had the baby on Monday so I might be able to swing it. Plus if I get the stickers back I'll bring them along.

Hook

Reaction score
Count me in for thurs-Sat. (Vet. class).

I'll bring along some Silver Bullets.......

EVAN III

Reaction score
Congrats Thornzberry, Little boy hunter or little girl hunter?

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Congrats Thonzberry!

I'm definetly a rookie when it comes to coyotes. I'll be coming out Friday (work permitting).  

I know we're trying for the weekend of the 28 - 30th, but does the full moon on the 30th tend to screw up hunting for coyotes like other nocturnals?  I'll go either way, just curious. Have you decided on the location? 

Brian S

Reaction score
Can coyote's see colors? If not do you wear orange or full camo.

Brian

songdog

Reaction score
Congrats Thonz!

The location isn't set in concrete yet. Hopefully we'll get it nailed down shortly.

The dates look pretty solid though. Since there are so many different schedules there will probably be quite a bit of overlap with everyone from Friday thru Sunday.

Brian S - I don't think they can see color but I've never hunted them in blaze orange. White t-shirts yes but not blaze orange.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Full camo and a face net is a must if you don't wanna be seen. You would be surprised how far off a face or facial profile can be seen.

Another goodie to have is some shooting sticks or a bipod. Varmint Al has a great how to on making your own shooting sticks.

http://www.cctrap.com/%7Evarmint/ahunt.htm#Support

Stoney Point makes shooting sticks along with a couple of other companies. Check Cabelas or Bass Pro for other models.  I've been using the Stoney Point sticks which are okay when you have time to set up. In a quick drop and shoot situation they are a little slow to assemble. This is where Al's shooting sticks work better.

If you don't have a rifle you can use a 12 ga. shotgun for the in close work. #4 lead shells work good. If you have a nice shiney gun, paint it or at least get some camo tape on the barrel.

I'm in for a Dec, 30 the weekend hunt.

so cal hunter

Reaction score
i was wanting to know what area of carrizo plain you usually hunt i go in on soda lake rd. off fo the 166 at the old gas station is that where you will be this weekend and if not could you let me know where you will be so i can get with you guy's i have hunted there several times with little luck usually because of foul weather . thanks for any info p.s. i use to belong to the riverside rebel's until Jim Strubble passed away a few month's ago.

Hook

Reaction score
so cal hunter welcome to Jesse's. This coyote hunt should be a good time wether or not you get a coyote. Plus it will be a good opportunity to get to know the people here at Jesse's and get some varmint hunting in also.

so cal hunter

Reaction score
Hook ; thanks for the reply , you are right i just like to get out in the hill's and see some critters although i like shooting them now and again. if you have any info on the location of the hunt would you please pass it on i know the area and have hunted it but not sure if you are in the same place I would like to meet some more people that are into predator hunting and maybe bowhunting i live in long beach ca. thanks again. keith

Hook

Reaction score
Songdog and grtwythunter are working the final details on the location. But the days (27Dec-30Dec.) are set. I think we'll have some shooting opportunities out there. So stay tuned to this freq. for the grid coordinates.

(Sorry i just poped over from the Military board)

songdog

Reaction score
Well, I'm now reading that the "...only shooting of any kind that is permissible in the management area is shotgun hunting of upland game birds during the open season..." in the Rand Mountain Management Area.

My understanding is that this is not yet law but I don't want to sit there and argue with one of the folks who wants to protect the turtles and can write tickets. Even if we're right, it's a pain and a long drive to sit in front of a judge.

That being the case, at this point it looks like the Carizzo Plain BLM parcel is going to get the nod unless something else happens or they decide to change the rules before then.

For those who don't know where it is - it's north of the 166 and south of the 58 freeways to the west of the 5. It's a really nice area, plenty big and should provide plety of coyotes. There's the odd chance that you might stumble across a pig so you might want to have some tags with you.

There's also a campground which might be a good meeting place. I'll check on any reservations necessary (from what I remember, it's a big dirt lot so I doubt that will be the case) and look into some maps. There is some private land in and around the BLM parcel so everyone needs to be careful. Most of the private land has fences, cattle and signs so it's not hard to miss but if in doubt, it's best to steer clear... there's lots more land out there.

More details to follow...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom