JHO My Country Club youth hunt April 2008

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
What a great weekend ! My thank's to all involved in giving my nephew the thrill of his young hunting life, mostly to Jesse for his unselfish donation of time and effort and the Mendenhall's Frank,Janice and Joel for their generosity and Tim our guide on saturday. Jesse and I scouted most of friday and figured out where we were going to hunt, we started out Sat A.M. in area 62, Tim was able to call in a gobbler from almost 500 yds away , the bird came within 20 ft of our blind but hung up on the opposite side of the bushes we were hiding in , he gave our decoy's a great display of strutting and wing dragging but just wouldn't take the 2 steps forward to his demise. Two "PUTT"S later he was gone , the rest of the day was anticlimatic with no other close call's. Sunday began at 3:00 AM for Jesse, Alex and myself , at daylight we were high on a knoll waiting for some action , Jesse in his blind filming and Alex and I hiding under a tree. It was almost 3 cooooold hour's later that the first hen showed up to inspect my decoy, about 20 min later we watched 2 gobblers and 3 hens about 200 yds downhill from us, when they went into some oak's we decided to run and get ahead of them for an ambush, unfortunately they zigged when we were zagging and we lost them, I left my nephew at the truck while I tried to see where they had gone as I was looking for them they had busted me and headed for my nephew, I looked back to see him waving franticlly to me that they had doubled back. They hadn't seen him so they came within about 20 FEET of this new hunter but they were confused and bunched tightly together and to Alex's credit he didn't shoot because he was sure he would also hit a hen or 2, what a great testimoney to his ethic's, a sure shot and he didn't take it, I'm not sure at 14yrs old that I could have held back. I rejoined him and we sneak up to see where they went and as I peer over the bushes the birds are 10 ft from me, thinking Alex is right next to me I step aside and tell him to shoot but no Alex , he had dropped back about 10 yds so off they go again. We met up with Jesse and went to breakfast, For our afternoon assault we decided to have Jesse go high and spot while Alex and I would hike and make some setups. The first setup was perfect I set my deke up in the middle of a meadow where it could be seen from the higher hill's, within 15 mins a turkey came flying in from about 200 yds away landed behind some brush and watched our deke for about 5 mins before stepping into the field and walking up to my deke, Hen ... oh well, it was very exciting for Alex, we decided to look for a new setup and we snuck up on a coyote that was looking the other way, I could have killed him with a rock but we weren't allowed to shoot any yote's. we made a couple more setup's but no luck but we did see about 30 deer and 2 snakes on our trail (non poisonous ) but gave Alex a start ( NOTE TO SELF, NEXT TIME SAVE THE SNAKE TO PUT IN THE TRUCK WITH JESSE ) heh heh heh . By 1:00 our young man was whipped, those 3:00am mornings had taken there toll so we headed back to check out and go home. Thank's again to all involved , Bill

ilovesprig

Reaction score
dirtpoor,

Sounds like you had a full week-end of turkey hunting. It also sounds like your son has been taught very well on the ethics of hunting. Congrats to you...........

Marty

Reaction score
Congrat's on the experience. Sounds like your calling was better than ours. Or, those turkeys are getting used to seeing Jesse out there in the bushes.

One Track

Reaction score
Sounds like a memorable trip for you both. Congrats.

socalgobblerhunter

Reaction score
What great experience. The first time you see a bird is one of the greatest moments in Turkey hunting. Great job to all.

Tominator

Reaction score
Good times for sure, just wish you woulda thought about the snake and Jesse's truck before now

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The turkey gods can be a cruel bunch. They give no quarter, attacking the old, the infirmed, and this weekend a poor young youth hunter. First time turkey hunter too, totally defenseless. They put a spittin and drummin old tom 5 steps from young Alex and then yanked him away in a cruel twist of fate.

They say turkeys can see you think, this tom had 4 hidden turkey hunters mentally pleading for him to just take 2 more steps and BANG!!!! His hidden turkey powers allowed him to sniff us out I think. Luckiest bird on that mountain Saturday.

Alex took it like a man, hollering like a gutshot dog all the way back to the Henshaw cafe for breakfast. He asked if turkey hunting was always this soul crushing? No really, Alex was a trooper, stayin out all day both days in the cold. That's the hard part, them chilly 3 hour waits some times. I took a 2nd jacket Sunday, it was that nip. 45F it said on the truck temp gauge but there was a stiff wind that made it feel 33F.

Thanks to Bill for the help, the room and the stories. Always kewl to share the woods with you. Thank you also for not bringin any of them snakes back.
I hate hunting with snake charmers, they always want to show you their new friend. He made up for that by driving us over the Julian Pie Co Friday while we were scouting. Man them boysenberry/apple pies are worth dying over. Glass of moo juice and a small scoop of French Vanilla ice cream and we were in heaven.

Big thanks for the Mendenhalls for the hospitality. Big shout out to our guide Saturday, Tim Brown. He reeled in a monarch tom that no one else could fool from 500 yards. Dropped him right in our lap like a newborn baby. Bill had the dekes in a jake next to a short staked hen and then a seperate voyouer hen by the side. Why he suddenly broke strut and putted no one will ever know. I suspect a tip off from the turkey gods.

Good times chasin turkey birds in the hills around Lake Henshaw.

More on My Country Club where we hunted here

http://www.mycountryclubinc.com/

Tim Brown also guides for MCC. You can contact him through MCC.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wvet6nTwDaw"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wvet6nTwDaw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Part 2 video

In part 2 Alex gets a tom to gobble to his yelping on a box call. The Sunday hunt was a little warmer, started out at 45F with a stiff wind from the west. No action on the toms but it was a good day to be out in the mtns.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dI4pOTgnqDw"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dI4pOTgnqDw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Latest Posts

Top Bottom