JHO Weight Loss Challenge

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
I’m bringing back the JHO Weight Loss Challenge.

There have been a few threads here lately that are rather frightening; Jesse’s hypertension, Shufigo’s coronary disease, among other health problems elaborated on the boards. The real scary thing is the age of the people who are describing these problems, the majority of them being in their 30’s and 40’s. Many of the problems described here can be alleviated through diet and exercise.

I have struggled with my weight ever since Junior High. I’ve tried a couple of different diets and have been the most successful under Weight Watchers. My wife and I went through WW about 2.5-3 years ago and lost about 15-20 bounds in about 3 months. We stopped the program when things got busy in buying our house and planning our wedding, as a result we put weight back on. About two years ago I spent 2 nights in the hospital because of an irregular heartbeat, in the past I’ve been diagnosed with high cholesterol. There is a history of coronary disease in my family.

I weighed in at 246 this morning and my goal is 222. 222 seems like a pretty odd number, but it is 10% less than my starting weight, ultimately I’d like to be in the 200-210 range. It’s easier to concentrate on a smaller goal and the results seem more achievable rather than say trying to go from 270 (my weight when I started WW) to 200.

I chose Mondays to weigh in because it can help you set a goal for the week. Also we usually eat out on the weekend and the Monday morning weigh-in is a way to get back on track for the week.

Good Luck to all, your wives, husbands, children, girlfriends/boyfriends and grandchildren will love you for it.

doghouse95

Reaction score
I think I need a little of this thread too. I've never had any problem with my weight until I got benched with a severe knee injury. In the last year two years I've put on an extra 35 pounds. I'll start the no/low carb diet on monday. Good luck to the others.

scruffnbeez

Banned
Reaction score
I was on WW for about 6 months. Lost 40 pounds. Then I went off earlier this summer when the sweet corn was ready to eat. Can't eat sweet corn without lots of butter!!!
Then we had lots of summer goodies, home made Ice Cream, Dairy Queen Ice cream cones and BLT's. I have since gained back 10 pounds. I started this week back on WW. I am trying to loose the 10 pounds I gained back and then maybe about 10 more.

194/194/174

I'm with you Karstic!!!

fpscabs

Reaction score
Well, I dropped 20 on the first WELBY challenge, and now need 30 more to go. I did slip up last weekend and gave some back. Too much good food and wine.
I was down to 262 last week, but am up to 270 today. Need to get to 250 by Oct.
Using my original numbers:
282/270/250
Can't believe I gave 8lbs back!

recurveshooter

Reaction score
guys ,
weighed 32# when i was a year old and never looked back .been a hard life on and off diets all my life and take meds to loose weight ect.
lost 22 + lbs since last year , have a hard time to get below 330 was down to 329 a couple of weeks ago but back up to 333# yesterday .any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated !!----- herb

Huntndogs

Reaction score
OK, Im in..... I too need to shed a few, well a bunch of weight. Small steps seem to be the way to go. My wife and I are starting Atkins type low carb tonight. I'll weigh myself in the morning.

Huntndogs

Reaction score
Herb-
The low carb solution and walking every night (about 1.5 miles) seemed to work well in the past. In fact, the heavier you are when you start, the faster the weight will come off at the beginning. It also gave me more energy than I have ever had...It may not be for you, but talk to your doctor and give it a try...

recurveshooter

Reaction score
been trying to live on meat for almost 3 months , few vegies , no bread ,potatoes ,or rice . also i am type II diabetic , talked to Dr. and she said it makes loosing weight harder because i don't handle sugar .don't eat sweets , given up most of the good thing a while ago . if some one who is using Atkins would email me what they eat would appreciate it .can't seem to get info on it .thanks ---- herb -- carrots and steak for supper

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
If you are going to do a low carb/high protein diet, please do so under the direction of a physician. Those types of diets can wreck havoc on your system if not done correctly.

Permanent weight lose is more a result of lifestyle and habit changes rather than a 10 week diet that leaves you hanging at the end of the program.

Its hard to change old habits so take small steps at first. A key part of a healthy diet is to drink at least 64 oz. of water a day, not coffee, Coke, Pepsi, Iced tea but plain old water.

Water helps flush your system out cellular functions work better when the body is hydrated properly. Plus the water can add to that "full feeling" in your stmach if you're cutting back on portion sizes.

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
Recurveshooter,

I have been on atkins since february. I started because my 5' 10" frame had ballooned to over 255 pounds. By the beginning of the summer I had gotten down to 195! I have been cheating some over the summer and have been maintaining around 205. I am going back very strict now to get down to 180 to 185.
You need to go buy the Atkin's book " the new diet revolution" and read the whole thing! You need to understand what you are doing. If you are too lazy to go to the store and spend a measley 14 dollars then you don't have what it takes do see this through. The book will tell you everything you need to know. Why it works, how it works, what to eat, what not to eat, health complications. I've had many people ask me to just tell them how to do it and I won't do that. Everyone wants a shortcut, when in reality with your body there are none and if there are they are probably not safe!

Arlow

Slash

Reaction score
(251)232/222/180

Herb, if you are interested in the Atkins Diet, get the book The New Diet Revolution (HERE) by Dr. Charles Atkins. The website is here: Atkins

Karstic made good points in his last post. The Atkins Diet can be a "diet for life" if you follow the instructions in the book. Also, it is important to consult your doctor; since you are diabetic, it is doubly important. This advice is also in the book. Don't forget about the water. You must drink water, whether or not you are trying to lose weight. Lose the caffiene (my demon), lose the sugar, lose the alcohol. Also talk to your doctor about exercise. Exercise is not negotiable, but don't overdo it either.

Remember: This is an investment in yourself - the most important asset in your possession. Good Luck!

OOOPS! Arlow beat me to it!

havotec

Reaction score
I just read Akins book and started the diet on Sunday. Look on line if it interests you there is alot of good info, however you need the book to really get everything out of it.

I will join in. Weighed in Sunday @ 239 currently shooting for 200.

recurveshooter

Reaction score
looks like i find the book .will hit book store thursday have a gift certificate to use up thanks all .have talked to Dr. about this so will see what happens .---- herb

paulc

Reaction score
I have been so bad
.. snicker ice cream bars, big meals, 2nds, 3rds at meals, and ice cream almost every night.
On the bright side i have been excercising (aerobics, hikes) at least 3-4 times a week, and i have not gained weight. I am really gonna pay this next week on a Elk hunt in CO. I am sure i will gut it out but why am i doing this to myself. I am 6'1" and 270lbs. I am in great shape at 230..
270/230
Whenever i come back from high altitudes i have tons of energy, hopefully, i can capitalize on that.

:recall davis sign:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I started the Atkins diet 3 weeks ago. First diet ever, I'v always been fit as a fiddle and passed every physical for since my first one for school as a kid. Now it's a different story after tweaking a knee and putting on weight.

Atkins is easy for me since I already like salads and meat. What was scary was realizing how much sugar I was taking in. My sweet tea, hard candy while hunting, gatorade and other stuff was spiking my sugar levels every day. When you read what this does to your body you will freak out. As one buddy told me recently, watching his Dad slowly die from diabetes is plain awful.

I found some low carb bread at Trader Vic's along with the low carb no sugar cookies, gummi bears and nutition bars. For milk I drink half & half from Trader's which is no carb and low sugar.

Stores like Vons and Stater Bros in SoCal are starting to carry the low carb stuff so look for it or bug the manager. Even restaurants are adding low carb to their menu or you can ask for the cook to make it your way. The place I eat lunch at while at work allows me to do this after talking to the owner. GNC nutrition has low carb food and baking stuff but it's a bit pricey.

Get the Atkin book and read it. All the rumors about this diet are dispelled there. Even the New England Journal of Medicine has come out for this diet along with several other medical groups. As someone already mentioned, it's not really a diet, it's a lifestyle change. I find it like when I quit smoking, it's all in your head. You either want to do it or you find excuses to bail out and go back to the old habits.

So far I don't feel as hungry or eat big meals anymore. I also don't feel tired in the afternoon driving home anymore. It took me 2 years to get up to this pants size so I figure it wil ltake me that long to get back to where I was.

One thing I find ridiculous is the BMI (Body Mass Index) charts. I see they recently raised the weights a little but they are still crazy in my opinion. For example, when I was in my prime at 23 in the service working out in strenuos PT 5 or 6 days a week I was a very lean 200 lbs. at 6'. There were several other SPECOPs guys my size on our team and we all had low body fat just like the PJs we worked with. Now according to that BMI chart we were overweight and boderline obese. Huh? I don't think so. Some of these guys were running 5 minute miles for 15 miles every Friday. Any docs here who can explain the BMI and why it's so screwy.

Anybody have any other tips.

Nino

Reaction score
Jesse

As you said, the BMI charts don't fit in all cases. I think they were designed to fit the little girly man that probably made it up. Same with the ideal weight charts. If I got down to my weight on those charts I'd be anorexic. I was in a nutrition seminar recently and they confirmed that them BMI chart doesn't fit muscular or "big boned" folks.

Took about a month and a half off and have gained back about 3 poiunds but am watching it carefully so it doesn't creep anymore. Switching to a better gym and routine to keep things fresh. Got bored with what I was doing. For those who have gone backwards or are trying to maintain - you still have to watch things like a hawk because it comes back a WHOLE LOT EASIER than it came off!

Find a skinny guy and study what they do and eat. We be the way we be because of habits and lifestyle. or Just give up hunting become a PETA and you'll lose tons of weight
NOT!

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
I'm on Atkins as well... down 20lbs as of yesterday! This is the first diet that I've ever tried that I can actually stick to and I'm never hungry. I LOVE being able to eat meat too! In the past I could make a meal out of meat alone anyway and be happy, so I've just had to mainly cut out bread, potatoes, and junk food anyway. Now I enjoy the foods that I like the most... meat, eggs, and veggies. As I get closer to my goal weight(~190), I do look forward to adding in some fruit though. That's probably my biggest weakness. Of course I could add some now but I do like that rate that the fat just seems to be melting off, so I'll wait a bit longer. I think low carbing will be an easier way of life for me to adopt after I reach my goal weight anyway as I truly like the way that I am able to eat.

I tried WW a few times but just couldn't stick with it. I was always hungry and never satisfied, which makes for a very irratible and cranky Bob!

If anyone is interested in some low carb forums and other sites, here's a few that I've come across that are helpful and informative. Many contain some some great recipe ideas.

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/

http://www.carb-lite.au.com/

http://www7.addr.com/~atkinsdi/

http://www.talkinglowcarb.com/forums/

http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/LowCarbohydr...es.htm#Desserts

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/

http://atkins.com/

http://www.lowcarbsite.com/forum/index.php

http://lowcarb4life.sugarbane.com/lowcarb.htm

bighorn67

Reaction score
I lost 8 pounds over the summer, then went on a cruise and gained it all back. I have lost 3 pounds since I returned from the cruise. I am wallking a lot and limiting caloric intake.

Be careful with the atkins diet. I went on it about 8 years ago and lost about 15 pounds in 2 weeks. When I stopped it (no will power) I gained back twice as much.

Good Luck Guys!!

Dave

buttonbuck100

Reaction score
I might as well join the club. I started Monday, 9/8/03. Weighed in at 322. BUT I carry it well...LOL
Weight has been a constant battle since I was a child. You know what's funny...I see myself differently when I look in a mirror, compared to seeing myself in a photograph. Does anybody else notice this??
I figure that I better start dropping some weight before I drop while hunting or golfing.
My goal is 10lbs - 15lbs a month. I think that this is realistic.
Anyways....good luck to all. I'll keep you posted.
:JHP rocks:

Huntndogs

Reaction score
This AM I weighed 253.5 I think the scale is out of wack, but I'll keep using it to gauge the progress. I would like to be 200 lbs. Last time I did Atkins with the spouse I got to 222 or so before I went back to my old ways. Like Jesse says, I think its mind over matter. I too have quit smoking 2 years ago and if I can do that, I can eat less. Wife is already down four pounds in three days, but she wont let me post her progress here. (I know whats good for me)

Top Bottom