JHP Arrowhead hunt

bigtroutbane

Reaction score
Who's going?  

I'm in Rancho Cucamonga, so sounds good to me.  Tinner and I were gonna go sometime in January anyway.

I was up there recently and saw a nice bobcat crossing the road at 2N29Y and 3N34.  

(Edited by bigtroutbane at 8:14 pm on Dec. 31, 2001)

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Count me in for the Arrowhead hunt.  I'm sure I can talk the boys (Evan lll, and CSBishop) into it also since we're all here in Chino.

Hook

Reaction score
You can count on myself and Thonzberry being there, Jan 25-27.

songdog

Reaction score
I'll be there assuming my mother-in-law doesn't show up again (sorry again guys)....

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Here is a map of the area were we can camp. Look in section 1 of the map, right where the word "ranch" is there is a spur road that that is not on the map that heads left (west), for about 500 yards that is nice and flat and can hold several camps.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n...s=25&size=m

The UTM coodinates for Rouse Meadow are UTM zone 11,  487569E 3793015N . The spur road we will camp on is about 1/4 mile north of this coordinate.The 7 1/2 minute 1:24,000 topo map for this area is called "Lake Arrowhead" if you want to get the map. REI has topo maps.

If you're a D14 deer hunter, this area is decent for deer and you can glass the western and northern slopes of Deer Mtn and above Deep Creek from this area.

This is a rifle shooting area and further south where I know some good yote/bobcat areas it's shotgun only.

Deep Creek has some trout fishing available, most of it is barbless hook and catch and release if you want to fill in part of the day.

The easiest way into this area is to go to Cedar Glen which is on the eastern side of Lake Arrowhead off Highway 173 and take Hook Creek Rd. NW until it turns into SBNF road 2N26Y. Hook Creek Rd is the main drag through Cedar Glen. Follow this road and it intersects into 3N34, go left on 3N34 (main road) which takes your right by the spur road about 1 mile further on 3N34. The spur is the only road in the area so it's not hard to find.

Here is the Mapquest map of Lake Arrowhead.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?count...;homesubmit.y=5

This road is the best road going in and is a decent road for even 2 wheelers when dry. If it rains or snows, the roads get pretty bad and the SBNF paved one of the steepest, curviest hills going into the forest with asphalt so I'm sure it will be a mess with ice and snow.

Coming in or going out there is a great place to have breakfast of lunch, the Cedar Glen Cafe right as your turn onto Hook Creek Rd on the left (north side), just past the Jensen's store. There is also Mexican food at Tony's, just a bit further north on Hook Creek on the left where the sharp curves are. Fine dining is at the Chef's Inn just past the Cedar Glen Cafe. Good snails if you like the french food.

Brian S

Reaction score
  I'm in and look foward to meeting more jhp'ers. I also look foward to taking a couple more pops with Hook's AR-15, never shot one of those before and it was real cool. Too bad they are off the shelves got the fever a little too late. Actually its a mix blessing because I don't think I could get their heavy $ tag passed my wife.
Brian

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone scouted the road conditions in this area? What are they like after this weekends snow/rain? Whats the snow level at, is there snow on the ground at 5000'?

Hook

Reaction score
Brian S, thanks that thing is a pleasure to shoot. I'll be sure to bring it along to the hunt. I 'll also bring up some Caribou steaks to BBQ also. (that might get people to show up) :sunglasses-yellow:

(Edited by Hook at 2:43 pm on Jan. 2, 2002)

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
wasn't rouse meadow part of the willow fire? i was under the impression the rouse meadow was gone. i haven't been to the area since just before the fire, use to be good dove hunting there.

cc

QALHNTR

Reaction score
I can't say for sure about Rouse Meadow, but RIGHT NOW the SB Forest as a whole is relatively snow-free.  There's definetly pockets here and there, but if you're not on the slopes at Snow Summit, it's pretty thin.  The stuff melts so fast, I wouldn't worry until the weekend of the hunt.  We shot up at 1N09 on Monday and it was VERY dry.

songdog

Reaction score
I'm assuming it's pretty chilly if you're sleeping in the back of the truck though?

Stryder

Reaction score
Count me in for sure this time, for a day at least.
                  Stryder

EVAN III

Reaction score
Well, I'll be there.  Rain/snow won't stop me this time.  Sure wish I would have made the last trip out to Carrizo.  

andrew

Reaction score
This sounds like a ton of fun. Where will it be? I am in Sacramento so how long of a trip is it? Oh yeah, what is it too? I know, I just saw coyote shoot and thought it would be great.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
To ease some of my email load.

This hunt is open to anyone who can handle firearms safely. The camping/hunting spot is about 1 hour east of Los Angeles in the  San Bernadino National Forest.

Yotes, bobcats, quail, rabbits, crows, badgers and gray fox are all open for this area and hunt. There are many boulder covered slopes with ground squirrels to plink if the sun is out and they feel like showing off.

Make sure and get a National Forest Adventure Pass since we will be camping and hunting in the SBNF. You can get the passes at REI, Big 5 and many National Forest Stations.

This area has burned 3  times in the past 7 years and we will be right on the edge of the old timber. There are many pockets of cover and the area has recovered very well from the last fire. 10 minutes south of the camp you can be in old growth timber if you want or Rouse Meadow which didn't burn.

There are also a few Merriam turkeys in this area so you can scout out for turkey season too.

andrew

Reaction score
I guess I have quite a drive then. Do you think you will be having any get togeathers up north here?

JBarn3

Reaction score
When is the hunt gonna be? If I can get away from school, I'll be there. I've never hunted much of anything before, just starting out on Quail. I would love the chance to learn a little from you guys with a bit more experience. I've been wanting to go after some yotes and bobcats. Also, anybody know right off hand when spring turkey season starts? I know I could go search through the DFG website, but I figured it would be easier if someone knew.

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
If nothing comes up with the military life, I'll be there.  I live in Temecula if anyone would like to join me.  I don't have a 4x4 but my new truck sits really high and has taken me to places I never should have gone.

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
would a 30 carb. be big enough for the coyotes?  I'm going to bring my shotgun with me, but I would like to bring the rifle too if its large enough

bigtroutbane

Reaction score
Does the Forest Service require campfire permit?

(Edited by bigtroutbane at 8:36 am on Jan. 9, 2002)

Top Bottom