JHP Carrizo Hunt

yotegetter

Reaction score
The Carrizo thread was getting a little long so I'll start this new one.

I had a blast out in Carrizo! Great turnout! I pulled in friday morning at around 6:45 AM. I'm not joking, it was already about 90 degrees at that time there. It appears as if I was the first one there and I was getting ready to make my first stand when Stickman comes in so he joined me. He's a great guy, by the way, just like the rest of the bunch!

First stand had no results so we made another stand. Had at least two yotes come in with the rabbit in distress call. Stickman and I noticed some movement in the brush, but it would not show its face. It got very windy when we got to camp at around 9:30 AM. Smokin 54, Evan III and Bishop pulled in. The BLM lady also came by to visit us, which was extremely nice.

There were a couple of odd ones there that weren't part of JHP. Not hunters either. Just some crazy guys eating road kill. Well Hook, JMABBOTT888, Jesse, Hogskin, Brian S pulled in later that day.

We all made another stand before sundown which was pretty good for Stickman and myself. We got 3 yotes to come in with my howler and rabbit call. Two were about 70 yards away howling back at me, but we were losing light and couldn't see them very well. The 3rd one was behind us and got a wiff of us and bolted out.

We all went out in the morning on saturday at around 5:30 AM. Some of us managed to call some in, but no luck. Brian S and friend managed to get one. It wasn't bad at all. Not like the mystery thing from Wister. I'll let Brian S tell the story when he gets in.

Songdog, Grtwhthunter, Quail Hunter, and Mtngoat pulled in on saturday. There seems to be more going in today.

We saw a nice herd of Antelope, lots of doves, quail, jackrabbits, and cottontails out there. It was great meeting everyone and seeing Hook and Brian S again. Can't wait for the next JHP hunt!

SONGDOG - That was me honking at ya on the 5 on the way back in case you didn't recognize me

songdog

Reaction score
Ohhh... so that's who it was!  Michael and I figured it had to be one of the JHP crowd but had no idea which one.  I have a hard enough time keeping the name with the alias straight let alone what eveyone drives :wink-yellow:

It was a kick to see eveyone.  I didn't find out till after we'd left that I missed Hogskin somewhere in the crowd - Paul, sorry, still need to put that name with a face.

The hunting was better this time than the previous JHP coyote hunts from what I can tell.  The guys still out there should have a few more dogs by tomorrow.

True confession time - I went 0 for 3 today.  The first one came in from about 600 yards and I watched him the whole time.  Mtngoat, about 50-60 yards to my right saw the whole thing.  I was trying to get down behind a 12" bush so the coyote wouldn't see me which basically made me lay down.  They coyote came in to about 40-50 yards but was circling down wind.  I just played it wrong.  He was looking right at me the whole time and I never got a chance to sit up and raise my gun without him looking at me.  Eventually he got downwind, did and about face and high tailed it out of there.  I made sure to shoot behind him just to let him know he shouldn't do that again.  Miss number one.

A couple more stands down the road we tried a good looking gulley with a fair amount of brush.  After about 3-4 minutes, one popped his head and shoulders up over a small dirt embankment about 80-100 yards away.  My first thought was "ah, redemption, at least I'll get one to bring in to camp".  I leveled the .243 at him and let fly... for some reason there was a puff of dust off the bank about 100 yards past the coyote as he disappeared behind the bank.  I thought that there was no way that bullet could have gone through the coyote and still hit the bank behind him... I was right... the only way it can hit the bank behind him is if it's a clean miss.  Don't ask... miss number two.

Just to make sure that the problem was the shooter and not the gun, we found a helium balloon that had drifted out about 287 yards according to Mtngoats range finder and took a shot.  Nope, not the gun...

The final miss of the day for me was one standing in a field about 350 yards or so out.  It was a bit of a poke but still not too bad.  There was nothing around to get in the way.  Well, no sense in breaking a streak so I made sure that this one got away well educated as well.

So, coyotes 3 Songdog and Mtngoat (see now I'll pull him in to share some of the blame :wink-yellow: ) 0.

Still a great time to see everyone out there.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent updates Yotegetter & Songdog,

Good to hear that you at least saw some yotes and had some shooting. Definitely sounds like a great time with as many folks showing up and all the wildlife you saw.  I love it.      

One of these days I am going to make it. (yikes!)

Thanks Again
Frank

jmabbott888

Reaction score
It was nice to finally meet everyone , no coyotes for ne either, I got 1 squirrel, & 1 truck lol. should of held a little lower on that 1 100 yrds out & shot through the back window of an abandond truck, hit the truck instread of the coyote. I took off a little after songdog went looking for squirrels, I got down as far as ElkHorn drive & figured it was about time to head back home. Hope to see everone again, next time remind me to bring an adult sleeping bag instead of the kids bag & bring a shotgun for those darn birds that decided to wake us up about 3am.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I got back about 12:00am this morning. Had a great time. I didn't manage to call any yotes, so I spent the better part of the day doing drive-bys on squirrels. I went out for the evening hunt with QALHNTR. Didn't get any yotes, but did see a good herd of antelope that had a really nice buck in it,(he has pics to post when he gets home) and a blacktail doe. It was good to meet some more JHP'ers, and to see those of you that I've already met again. When I left, there was still only one yote in camp...taken by a friend of Brian S.                Scott

smokin54

Reaction score
I had a great time a carrizo and it was great to meet every one. I was the rookie in crowd and was lucky enough to be able to hunt with Hook and Jessie, The only coyote we saw was leaving at full speed as we drove down a dirt road but I did learn alot and now have enough confiedence to try on my own. There was a coyote with 3 legs taken on sunday morning by Bishop and one his sons and there are pics so hopefully they will post them.
Thanks to everyone .

songdog

Reaction score
Did it have 4 legs before they shot it with one of those 55gr Ballistic Tips? :wink-yellow:

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, we (me and Steve) shot the handicap coyote.  This morning we decided to just walk out of the camp and look for some jacks and squirrels.  I had a .22 mag, and Steve had a .22LR.  Passed about 20-30 cottontails, but no jacks.  Found a seep with a lot of grass around it, and saw a squirrel run from the grass to a hole in the side of the creek bank.  So we decided to sit in the shade of a abandoned water tank and wait for the squirrels to pop back out.  I looked behind me and saw something big coming thru the sage towards the water.  At first I just thought it was a doe going for a drink.  When I started to stand up to look over the sage for a better look the coyote turned and ran back up the hill.  I hit him running at 60-80 yards and he tumbled and then got up running.  I hit him in one of his back legs and he's now down to 2 and still running.  Now we're both running after him and he's down into a gully and running up the other side.  Probably about 6-8 shots later and he's down for the count.  He had one of his front legs that was only about 4-6 inches long and healed over.  It's surprizing how fast he ran on 3 and then 2 legs.
We'll Steve's 15 and I'm 49 and it's the first coyote for both of us.
We were the last to leave at about noon today.  18 total made it out for the hunt.  Really great to meet some new guys and see some of the guys we've been on hunts with before.    

(Edited by Bishop at 5:37 pm on June 2, 2002)

EVAN III

Reaction score
   Well no yotes for me either. Called one in to about 400 or 500 yards but I think he caught me a hightailed it out of there. On the way back in I saw a fox bedded down, just for the hell of it I belly cralwed to about 30 yards from him. I sat and watched him for a few min. and then back out slowly, I don't think he ever knew I was there. Saw a bunch of antelope, almost hit a small buck on the way out. Saw a big fat badger sitting out side his den. Tried to get some pics, but he wasn't having it. Got one pic of him from a distance, well see how it comes out. By the way anyone know if season is open on badger?  Anyway it was great seeing everyone again, and nice to meet a bunch of new people as well.

EVAN III

Hook

Reaction score
Well, we had a great turn out at Carrizo, It was good to meet everyone who was able to make it out. Myself and Smokin54 had a hell of time finding the coyotes, the only one we saw, was running full speed up a canyon, I stopped the truck and I took a hail mary shot but in hit 6ft in front of him. We had a great time anyway. Lot of rabbits out there and saw several Antelope too.

Lets see if I can remember all the people who showed up;
Spectre17, Bishop, Steve, Evan III, Cory(?), Songdog, Mtngoat, Grtwythunter, Jmabbot888, Stickman, Yotegetter, Brian S, Jose, Qalhntr, Smokin54, Hogskin and Me.  

I hope I didn't forget anyone.  

(Edited by Hook at 9:09 am on June 3, 2002)

Mntngoat

Reaction score
I am just now recuperating from the sunburn sitting with my arm hanging outside Songdogs bronco all day on Saturady and the 1:45 wake upo Saturday morning for the drive up to Carrizo. This was my first trip up there and had a good time with all you guys. the squarells were very thin as we coundn't find any. And I never saw the 2nd Caoyote Songdog was referring to. But I am sure it was there, right! All in All it was just good to get out in the sticks for the day, Can't wait for the next one.

Brian S

Reaction score
   Well, it was good to have met for the first time, Stickman, Smokin 54, JMABBOTT888,  and Qalhunter. I brought my neighbor  Jose with me and he nailed his first yote. He had a close encounter at 15 feet and it took off running, he took a shot but missed. The second stand's dog was a keeper when after 10 minutes of spying on us it decided that it was safe to come in. Jose's '06 turned out the lights. We saw 2 more that morning, I took 2 shots on the run and we both took a few hail mary shots out to 400 yards with no luck. The last one took off as we crested a hill, Jose was waiting for Hogskin or myself to take a shot but it was gone before we could get our guns up. My only luck was with a jack rabbit  sunday morning that I  chased up a hill with a .22. Jesse got a picture of the dog at camp hopefully it came out ok we left the cameras at home.
Brian

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Did anyone stay until Sunday?  My fiance' and I were up there shooting ground squirrels Sunday until about 10:30am.  Saw a coyote right by the SLR turn-off on our way out, when I slowed down to look he took off running so he has had lead flung towards him before.

We were in a teal blue Dodge Ram 4x4 with a shell.

Eric A. Mayer

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">I had a great time.  The folks are great and made me feel right at home.  Hook, Jesse, BrianS, Bishop (everyone) thanks for the warm welcome.  Grtwhythunter - thanks for taking the time to show a rookie what a (good) call should sound like.  I was surprised by the variety of wildlife out there - antelope, fox, kangaroo rats, bats, deer, & a few snakes.  Next time, I'll arrive sooner & stay later.  Here's a couple of pic's - I cropped them down (sorry if they're a little grainy).</font>

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Great folks, had a real blast.  Wish I didn't have to leave so abruptly.  Loved putting faces with names.   Grtwhythunter is a cool guy, got a kick out of hearing about some of his hunts.  Jesse is one of those guys you feel like you've known forever.  Jose (Brian's buddy) was a cool guy and I had a good time hunting with him and Brian.  I don't think I've ever seen anybody smile as big as he was smiling when he came over the hill dragging that dog back to the truck.  I'll scan some pictures I took and post them when I get the chance.  Songdog, I should have introduced myself when we were all standing around watching them pose the dead 'yote with sticks between the legs.  We'll have to hook up at Oak Tree one night (nice Bronco, by the way).

One of a few things that made me laugh...  Brian, Jose, and I had parked the trucks and were heading to a stand.  I handed Brian the caller and said to go ahead, I'd catch up after I took a dump.  They walk off and I'm squatting in the bushes with a big red face when it sounds like WWIII is breaking out (nearly fell over into my yuck).  I hadn't heard the caller go off so I assume they're shooting at rabbits.  I finish my business and head over to them when a jack breaks at about 70 yards.  I cut loose on him with a pair of shots (both misses).  Brian and Jose look at me like I'm nutz.  I'm thinking, "Why are they about to crumb on me when they've just been shooting at rabbits?"  Turns out they were shooting at a coyote that they had stumbled on.  The thing ran over the hill with them unloading on it.  No hits.  harharhar, guess you had to be there.  

Anyway, great time meeting everybody.  Hope we can do it again.

Regards,
Paul

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Looks and sounds like you all had a great time. I'll have make sure I don't miss the next one.........

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
It was fun to meet some new people and put faces to their screennames.
Here is SMokin57 and Bishop and son Terry I think at camp.

The hunting was tough. EvanIII checking the trees for any sneaking yotes.

Friday evening a storm blew through and the lightning was cool to see. This was the sunset Saturday night.

Brian S and Jose with their yote

I did more pic taking than calling I think since the antelope were all over the place. The 3 fawns?? hung around 1 doe which made me wonder if she had all 3. I know deer have twins in good years and usually triplets are very rare with one usually not getting enough milk and later dies. All 3 of these guys looked healthy. One of the 3 was a goofball. He would run around like a puppy annoying all the other antelopes who were bedded or trying to feed.

One doe still looked pregnant compared to the others which seemed awful late to me. Anyone an antelope expert know?

This was about the tallest horned buck I saw. He was with a group of 12 other antelope with the 3 fawns and does.

I got a few more antelope pics and I'll put them in the anteloep forum so as not to jam up this thread with so many pics if anyone wants to look at them.

P.S. Hook, those 2 bright lights we saw in the northern sky Saturday night was Venus and Jupiter. They are suppoed to be getting real close together this week and you can see them in the early evening in the norhtern sky.

There sure are plenty of stars at night at Carrizo to see and I couldn't beleive how quiet it was in the early morning.

EVAN III

Reaction score
   Well guys, your all pretty close. That mystery chartecter hanging around camp, Cary,  is my brother, Bishop's other son.

EVAN III

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I said Cary didn't I Evan?????  :delete button:

Top Bottom