JHP fix a guzzler and plug a yote day

songdog

Reaction score
We've been talking about this in a couple of different threads but how about a weekend to fix/fill some guzzlers and maybe reduce the local coyote population at the same time?

The tentative plan is to hit the Carrizo area since it's big enough for all of us and could certainly use the help.  We'd need either 1.) everyones map of guzzler locations (I know this can be like giving up your right arm to everyone) or 2.) someone to call the Carrizo BLM office and sweet talk them out of some guzzler locations.

From the last couple of JHP coyote hunts it seems like there are enough trucks that could have 55gal water drums in the back that would work.  Does anyone have a cheap source for these?  I think that once we're out there it's going to be hard to find somewhere to fill up so we may need to come with the water in the trucks already.  The handfull of guzzlers I've seen out there are quite large (several thousand gallons) so we could use a lot of water.  Some of them are also behind a fence more than 100' from the service road that leads to them so we might also need some long hose (any of you firemen out there).

Of course, rifles are as important as shovels for any coyotes that are seen.  The early morning hours are still pretty productive for calling even when it's hot so I'm sure we could mix some in.

Evan III would still need to bring the washtub.  Even if it's too hot for a campfire, it's becoming tradition to have it there.

Who's in?

1SoCalHunter

Reaction score
SongDog:
I am in for like the weekend of July 20th, I have a heavy duty truck that can carry a lot of water, the only problem is that it would have to be in "water matress" shape (or square/rectangular large tanks) vs. 55 gl. tanks, since I have a camper shell on it, I believe this matresses hold approx. 150 gl. and I can for sure carry 2 of those filled up with the 150 gl. each for a total of 300 gl. which roughly would be about 2400 lbs. which my truck would handle with no sweat.
Another thing is, we could fill up the water in the nearest town that has water before getting there, that way we are not carrying the water from home.
Let me know if we are going to do it.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Songdog, I love your idea, especially at the Carrizo. I do know some guzzler locations.  However, on the varmint thread, it sounds like July 27th weekend is semi planned for Arrowhead.  Soooooooo??

Frank

stickman

Reaction score
I think doing some guzzler work would be a great idea. Give a little back and take some yotes along the way, sounds good to me.

songdog

Reaction score
I was pulling the date from the varmint thread... so it might need to be changed.  What (other) date works well for everyone?

1SoCalHunter

Reaction score
I am out on a fishing trip the weekend of Aug. 3-4, but any other weekend there after will be OK with me guys.

yotegetter

Reaction score
I'm definitely in. Any weekend in late July. I have an A zone tag so I'll be doing some hunting and scouting in August.

tinner

Reaction score
given current circumstances the 27 and 28 look real good here

Maverick

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to me.. I'am up  for a yote hunt.

(Edited by coveybustinchris at 5:32 pm on June 25, 2002)

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that you might want to round up the troops and organize the event on the JHP Event forum

JHP EVENT FORUM

Hopefully it will make things a little easier.

Thanks
FullSack

EVAN III

Reaction score
   Songdog,

Sounds like a good idea, I'm sure the lopes out there think so to. Anyway if we could do it around aug. sometime I would be up for it. I do have a pickup so we could load it down with as much as it can take. And by the way The TUB will be there.
You gonna make it up to arrowhead?

EVAN III

songdog

Reaction score
I should be able to make the Arrowhead trip.  I've got to get this whole work thing nailed down but if it is by then, I'll be there.  Then again, I'm running out of excuses for missing all these coyotes (ok, no firing pin, yeah, that's a good one... he was still moving and I had no cover, that will work too...  scope must be off, eh...)

August might not be a bad idea either.  July is filling up quickly.  It could also give some of the guys a bit of dove scouting time up there.

EVAN III

Reaction score
   Songdog,

Maybe you need to bring out your office chair to the next hunt, sounds like thtas where you claim most yotes from.*LOL* Or maybe since your the great SONGDOG slayer you are trying to hard to live up to the other JHP'ers expectations. Anyhow Just tying to help. HeHeHe.  Hope you can make it to arrowhead.

EVAN III

Top Bottom