JHP Quail Point Hunt

Whoadog

Reaction score
 The coyote hunt down south sounds like a great idea but it is not my expertise and quite a drive for me.  Is there any interest in having a hunt at Quail Point with members of the forum.  I know there are guys on the forum who hunt there and those who are not into paying to plant birds, but I think it would be a good relaxing time.  Those who have flushers can either hunt seperate from the pointers or get the experience of hunting behind a pointer, as most people have had the flusher experience.  I have known the owner at Quail Point for years and don't know if I can get any cost break but I know we will be well taken care of.

Brian

DanV

Reaction score
Brian, ya know I'm in on that hunt or any other one for that matter. Still waitin on one of those duck ressies I applied for, until then the word is "QUAIL"!

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Hey Brian,
 I'm in for the hunt at Quail Point, Gary may give a price break if we had enough people. Let us know of the dates.

Mel

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Where is Quail Point, and when were you thinking about the shoot?  

I'm not a big nut about quail hunting, but I go when there's nothing else to shoot.  It'd be fun to watch some "real" bird dogs do their thing.  My ol' lab just doesn't get it...at least not until I shoot.  

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I don't have any dates in mind I just wanted to see if there was any interest.  You can either have pheasants, chukar, or bobwhite quail.  When I hunt out there I always have quail planted because they are much more challenging and I can always find both pheasant and chukar after 10:30, when they don't cost.  I figure people could plant whatever they want and everybody go out and hunt each others birds and just divide them up at the end of the hunt.  The fees are 3 pheasants $65, 5 pheasants $100,  8 chukar $100, and 10 bobwhite $90.  After 10:30 you can hunt anywhere on the club and any birds you kill are no extra cost.  My record there is two of us had five pheasants and eight chukar planted and we killed 38 birds.  This doesn't happen everytime obviously but I can't think off a time that I didn't kill more than what I paid for.

Brian

Brian

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Quail Point is off of Inter. 505 about 25 mintues north of Sacramento.  People from the bay area would take Inter. 80 to 505.  Anybody else would take Inter. 5 and depending on where you are coming from different exits.

brian

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Myself Whitey1 and Wingswtter are taking 10 days off after Christmas so we could probably do a road trip, it depends on res cards.

Ponscm

Reaction score
Myself, Bodie and a few others will be there this Sunday if anyone else is heading up that way.  We will be in two extended cab F-150's 4X4, one green, one white and two yellow labs.  Otherwise, I think it would be a good time if we set something up out there.

Bodie

Reaction score
Yeah, I would be interested in getting in on a big group hunt.  I have only been to Quailpoint once, but it was an awesome trip.  I bought the three pheasants for $65 and ended up with 2 of them (missed one due to poor aim)  plus after 10:30 I picked up 6 bobwhites and two chukars.  Hummmmm, since my lab found all of these "challenging bobwhite quail" per Whoadog, would that elevate his status to being allowed to hunt with pointers!!!! Just kidding!  Perhaps if Gary was willing to work with us on the price and so forth he could through in a few of his rental dogs (pointers) for free?

Anyways, I look forward to a huge group hunt (read lots of birds).  Luckily, I only live 25 minutes away.

Also, as PONSCM already wrote, we are going there this Sunday.  We purchased 20 quail, 8 chukars, and 10 pheasants.  It should be a good shoot out.

Whoadog

Reaction score
Bodie,
 We will not be needing rental dogs, if my dogs heard you say that they would probably roll over dead.  Of course I shouldn't speak for the lab owners.  Before any of you rent rental dogs give me a call I would be more than happy to guide you as I have done it before out there, at no cost (Gary say's I am crazy but I enjoy it).

Brian

Brian

Bodie

Reaction score
Whoadog,

Are you saying that rental dogs are terrible or that your dogs would be upset if they missed out on a hunting opportunity.  Also, are you saying that  a rental pointer is still better then someones own Lab???  I guess I really can't say much, since I have only limited experience hunting with pointers.  It sounds like I need to hunt with a pointer a few times to get the same appreciation you and others find with their upland talents.

I only mentioned the rental dog thing, in case we got a big group together and several of the people did not have dogs of there own.  I think that you have three dogs, but if there is say 10 plus people with no dogs would there still be enough dogs for the group without rentals?????????

Whoadog

Reaction score
Bodie,
 Well part of my post was just fun razzing, but the answer is yes.  You could put out as many birds as you want and my two elder dogs would pick three fields out there clean before 10:30.  Yes I am putting myself out on a limb here, a cardinal sin, but I have that much confidence in them.  I think it would be great to have the labs on the hunt too and get the full experience.  
 As far as the rental dogs go they are good dogs that Gary has trained, the problem comes with people knowing how to handle them and most people who rent dogs do not know how to handle them.  I also doubt Gary is going to give much away when he sells out most days, he is not hurting for business.

Brian

shaman

Reaction score
Count me in. I wanted to go for the coyotes but can't get away, plus awful long drive for me also.

Whoadog

Reaction score
Bodie,
 How did you guys do out at Quail Point on Sunday?  

Brian

Ponscm

Reaction score
Whoadog:

This was only my second time at Quail Point but unfortunatly it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I made our reservation on Wednesday of last week for 20 quail, 8 chuckar and 10 pheasants.  After getting the verbal "you are all set for Sunday the 16th!" from the woman I spoke with, I thought nothing more about it.  We arrived at Quail Point at 7:30 to check in only to find out that somehow my reservation of nearly $500 worth of birds had disappeared and they had no record of me calling.  This was not a good start to the morning as we had a couple of guys that had never been there before and one that had made a two hour drive to come and hunt there.  From this point, I was told that they would try to accomodate us and to hold on for a few minutes.  A few minutes turned into them forgetting about us until everyone else was checked in.  I understand that they can get busy, but if there is an issue with a customer, in any business it should be resolved immediatly.  Aside from muttering under my breath to myself, I have been extremly patient and understanding...to a point.  Finally, they get back to us only to find out that they only have 5 quail remaining.  So, in a show of good faith, Quail Point swapped us bird for bird, chukar for missing quail.  Which, for those that don't know are a little more expensive per bird than quail.  This settled my frustration a little bit and we headed out to one of the few remaing open fields to wait the approx 20 minutes for our birds to be planted.  Approx 40 minutes later, we finally are able to start hunting.  It is now just past 9:30.  Here is where our hunt really hit the dirt.  We could not get the birds to fly for anything.  Between my dog and Bodie's dog, they picked up off the ground over half of our birds.  We tried everything, kicking the birds, throwing them in the air, chasing them, yelling, holding the dogs off, etc...  No kidding, Bodie and myself walked around for most of the day each with a live chuckar in our pockets, that our pups had retrieved.  I personally only shot one bobwhite and one chukar out of 23 chukar, 5 quail and 10 pheasants.  Now, part of the problem for the lack of flying birds, I'm assuming, was that we started hunting right after the birds were planted.  However, when it is already 9:30 am, shooting time was at 8 am, and the free roam begins at 10:30 am for everyone else to weasle into our field to shoot our birds, we weren't faced with many options.  This last weekend was by far the most embarrasing, frustrating, pathetic ho-dunk hunt I have ever participated in.  What a f@$#ing waste of money.  We would have been better off going to the feed store and releasing a bunch of chickens for our dogs to retrieve.

Now comes the humorous part...I had told my boss about Quail Point a few weeks ago, so we set up a company hunt there for next weekend.  I have not made my bad experience known to those in my office because I am hoping that last Sunday was just a bonehead fluke and luck just wasn't with my group that day.

For those that have never been to Quail Point, or even those that have, I offer this advise.  

1)  Get confirmation of your hunt when you order.
2)  Call prior to your hunt to double check your confirmation.
3)  Arrive early (7am)
4)  Even after your birds have been planted, have another cup of coffee and wait 15, 20 or 30 minutes for the birds to wake up a bit.

Not too sure I would go there again if it wasn't going to be paid for...Quail Point gets only one more chance in my book.  First time, shame on you...second time, shame on me.  

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Wow that really surprises me.  I have hunted at Quail Point easily fifty times and have never had near that experience.  The lady you would have talked to would be Gary's wife Judy who is a fantastic lady.  I am not sticking up for them as I would be upset if I had that kind of experience as well.  As far as the birds go I have always had good fliers but that is also one reason why I have quail planted.  If I was in your shoes I would talk to Gary personally and explain what happened, knowing Gary if something needed to be made right he would do it.  If you and Bodie want to go out there sometime with me I will show you a quality time and hopefully you will give them another shot.

Brian

Bodie

Reaction score
Whoadog,

Lucky for me, Ponscm took the time to write about our terrible hunt (I am still so pissed off that I figured it would have taken me an hour and several pages to write about it).  I will vouch that everything Ponscm said was 100% correct.  

Our hunt was 180 degrees different from the last time I went out there.  The trip before I had a blast and this time I couldn't even call it hunting.  

The part about carrying around live chukars as pets in our vests is true.  None of the birds would fly, no matter how hard you tried to get them moving.  You could just reach down and pick them up.  Some of the pheasants attempted to fly, but they were only able to get two feet off the ground before they fell back down.  

I had really built up the place as being a wonderful hunt with the people I took with me.  Then it turned out to be miserable.

As of now I am unsure of whether or not I will ever go back.

Whoadog

Reaction score
Bodie,
It really bums me out that you had such a crummy hunt out there and as I said I have never experienced anything like that out there.  I have never heard anything bad like that either and I have sent a lot of people out there and along with hunting out there a lot myself have also guided people out there and they have always had a quaility experience.  Have you talked to Gary about it?

Brian

Top Bottom