JHP Wister coyote hunt

songdog

Reaction score
At the request of my new friend Karstic... :wink-yellow:

I'm planning on going out to Wister 3/2-3 to chase some coyotes.  The first two JHP coyote hunts have been a little hit and miss.  We've made some new friends but the coyotes so far are way ahead of the hunters.

I'm going out to Wister to see if we can get the score any closer to even.  We can stay at the Wister Wildlife Refuge, either in the check station lot or the camping lot if you have a trailer that you want to disconnect and leave.  Everyone should know where that is and if not it will be a chance for you to see where many of us go duck hunting in the fall.

There is quite a bit of land along English Rd, out towards Slab City and down to the south east of Niland.  If I had to pick any one "for sure" spot to get a coyote this would be it.  So if you've missed the first two hunts or were at them but missed the coyotes, this hunt is for you.

Rifles as well as shotguns are legal.  It's actually good terrain for those who want to try a bow or pistol as well.

Night calling is legal and fairly productive.  Do be careful about the little Kit foxes though.

Mark the calendars now.  It's after duck and bird season, before turkey and still too cold to fish.

paulc

Reaction score
with no unforseen circumstances i will be there..
songdog, ever since i decided i was gonna be a "coyote hunter" i have not seen a coyote.. it seems like every casual hunting trip before i almost always saw coyotes.. now that i am calling, bought a electronic caller, bought a howler, watched videos, been out at least 5 times for the sole purpose of calling coyotes i have seen zero coyotes.. i have tried dozens of set ups and i think i have done everything correctly.. but so far zip... would love to see an successfull caller at work..
also i was not able to meet up with everyone at the carrizo hunt, though i was glad i went just to see the area.. and the arrowhead hunt i was lucky enuf to spend the day hunting with my son at the jr duck hunt with kid creole and whitey1..
yep i plan on being there,
that pig hunt sounds awsome also but my vote would be for private land.

Hook

Reaction score
I am in, for the Wister hunt also.

Paulc, I started out the same way, almost gave it up until someone took me out on a night hunt to get my coyote. 3 of them that night. I was hooked them.

CC, here is a map of Wister It is in imperial county near Niland.

(Edited by Hook at 9:52 pm on Jan. 29, 2002)

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I'm in I think Crow will be open at that time also but fox will be closed I think.

Brian S

Reaction score
  I'm in again Songdog but this time you have to promise to show up. We still have have faith in you oh great slayer of desert dogs but you gotta be there.  The last 2 hunts didn't yield any coyotes but I was able to meet a few of our fellow JHP'ers and hunt in two places I had never been to, can't recall ever having been to Wister, so I'm down for it.
Brian

yotegetter

Reaction score
I'm up for Wister as well! Been up by Niland. Lots of coyotes out there. Missed the arrowhead hunt. So does this slayer of songdogs exist? Will we meet him at Wister or will he remain a mystery?:beaming up:

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Isn't Songdog just a Bot that randomly starts threads?  I could be wrong.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'm in for Wister. Since California's bobcat season will be closed the end of February I'm, hip for a trip to Cibola Arizona if anyone with an Arizona license wants to do a bobcat yote trip there in March too.

Songdog, you see many bobcats around Wister? I've seen a couple over the years but not like along the river.

freakin54

Reaction score
I Have fished in the desert canals and lakes for a few years and have seen bobcats on a few occasions and have driven to within 40 yards of a pair, They made no special effort to put distance between us even when I got out of the truck at 40 yards away(I wanted to see their reaction), I have never done any hunting but the desert there is full of coyote (I hear them all the time) . I just picked up a NEF in 30-06 and am shortly sending it in for barrels in .223 and 45-70 and will get my hunting licsense this year and start on coyote and wabbit ( I have target shot for 30 years).
In the area of wister I would think somebody should be able to get a coyote pretty easy,

songdog

Reaction score
Jesse,

I've seen a fair number of bobcats out near Wister.  It's always surprised me though.  Ironically, it's the only place I've actually seen two called in and killed in a single day (buddy, not me).  We've probably killed about a half a dozen of them out there over the past few years.  

I think that there are so many coyotes that are ready to respond to a call that most of the bobcats go unnoticed.  Most of the time, we're packed up with a coyote over the shoulder and back at the truck driving to the next stand just when the bobcats would normally show up around the 15-20 minute mark.

Allen

Reaction score
hello fellow callers,

I am new to this site and would like to join in on the hunt if there is room. Been calling around wister and IV for about a year now.

Thanks..............Allen
good hunting with good hunters
dcksnbuks@home.com

Allen

Reaction score
Thouzberry,

Thanks for the invite....I'll be there

Allen
Good hunting with good hunters

EVAN III

Reaction score

As long as nothing weird happens :drowning: I will be there. Need to try out my new Winchester lever .44 mag. I just put a scope on it, and I've been curious to see how it will do.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Brian S...yotegetter...bubba...Have faith!!! I have met the slayer of desert dogs and have even hunted with him. I've seen no yotes slain, but the guy I met looks enough like the guy in all those pics that I'll vouch for him. Things look good for me making this one, and he lives close enough that I can drag him down there if I have to.         Scott

Brian S

Reaction score
Grtwythunter,
  Sounds good hopefully by march it will have warmed up a little out there. Now if we could get Hogskin to get away from doing taxes for a weekend we'd have all 3 D-11 "Buckmasters" in one spot (the other 2 being you and Songdog).
Brian

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Fellas,

I'd love to do the Wister thing, but it being in March... there's more chance of me flapping my arms and flying to the moon.  I'll be doing a different type of predator hunt (IRS predators), but it ain't nearly as fun.  If y'all decide to put one together after April 15th, I'll be on it like white on rice.  I'll have my new Johnny Stewart caller with me, too.   Too late in the season, though?  

Hope you guys have a blast.  

Regards,
Paul

p.s., I'm no Buckmaster, just a lucky son-of-a-gun.  :dancinred:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom