Jiffy Lube

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
That doesn't surprise me one bit. The Jiffy Lube on Reseda Blvd. in Northridge botched an oil change (didn't drain the old fluid, didn't change the filter, and then added new oil). I was PISSED. I actually traded emails with that Ayoub character. All I wanted was a refund but he was a world class A-H and he told me to get lost. It's nice to see people get what they've got coming to them.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Last time I was at Jiffy Lube it was as I was going out of town deer hunting and made one last stop before heading home to load up. Guy comes in the waiting area and explains to me that when they took the old filter off they spun off the bolt the filter goes on. He said they got it back on but if I noticed any oil leaking to stop driving. I was hacked. I told him what was I going to do on top of some mountain out in the middle of nowhere and the filter comes off? Lame. Didn't go back again.

paulc

Reaction score
That is totally pathetic.

I own the Aamco Transmission in Hemet and that kind of crap is the reason that auto repair shops have such a bad reputation.

So many customers come in with an attitude of distrust and then when they find out what it costs to rebuild a transmission they really think your trying to stiff them. It is an uphill battle to gain their trust.

That kind of stuff makes a tough business tougher.

Drayton

Reaction score

These SOB's need to be prosecuted for fraud! They didn't forget to do the repair they defrauded the customer.

It's stuff like this that keeps me doing my own maintenance on my vehicles. Sure would be nice to trust a national chain with a reputation to protect.

I'm sure nothing like this happens in Florida....?

crittergetter

Reaction score
The last time I went to Jtiffy Lube, and I do mean the last time, I made the mistake of taking two vehicles at once. When I parked in my freshly seal coated driveway I noticed a puddle of oil under each vehicle. I took pictures of oil driping from the pans and even brought oily rags from the clean up when I went back. I checked the dip stick first of course. First they told me it probably wasn't oil. I showed them the rags and pics. They pulled it in to "take a look". A few minutes later they brought me down below in the bay and showed me how clean it was and said the oil puddle in my driveway "must have been from a different vehicle". As they say this I'm standing there watching liquide degreaser and rinse water dripping from the entire under carriage. I about had a seizure. They obviously washed it off and lied after they did a less than half ass job the first time. The second vehicle the manager coped up and said the emplyee had been writen up, cleaned it up and double checked the rest of the items. Sure enough they didn't change a running light they charged for. After seeing that I'm wondering about the tranny flush I got several months back. I don't really think the problem at the store I went to was criminal. Just incompetence, dishonesty, and lack of accountability. They have a bunch of kids working there. And by the way my driveway still has two large oil stains in it. Only two. Worse yet oil drip stained drived ways are one of my peeves. I will never go back to any Sucky Lube for any reason. I think that manager is a crook though. Why else wouldn't he talk. I hope he goes down.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
Pitiful, but an old story, too. The auto repair/service business has always had this over it's reputation, and for good reason. Lots of them rip people off.

This is why I have always changed my own oil, done my own brake & tune up jobs and since 1980 have done the same for my wife and more recently, my daughters cars. I never have a question of what work got done. I KNOW how important it is to make sure you change fluids, filters and keep your eye on the belts and hoses. And the best news, knock on wood, is that I've never been off to the side of the road with something broken that should've been replaced/serviced/noticed.

Yep, it's a pain in the arse to keep track of multiple cars and their servicing needs, and to perform those services. But you know what, after doing it regularly for almost 40 years now, it's not that big a deal, doesn't take really that long to do, but the peace of mind that comes from it is incomparable to wondering if someone else left the drain plug a little loose on the wifes car, etc.

Keeping your eye on your own provides great peace of mind, least it's worked for me pretty good......

Bose

Reaction score
Freedivr2 ,couldnt have said it any better..

Hey, us "vigilantes" can perform cheap labor!!!Imagine that!!!

nickroy77

Reaction score
It isn't just Jiffy Lube. I went to PepBoys for a tune up of my truck. They convinced to buy a service where they clean out the throttle body, $100. And to change to spark plugs and some this and that. Total was like $350. A few weeks go by and it dawns on me that the truck is running worse than before the "service". So I bring it in to my regular mechanic - a guy I would trust to watch my kids. Long story short - only 3 of the 8 spark plugs were changed, and cleaning the throttle body - BS - they soak a rag in a solvent, and rub down the butterfly, if they even do it. I was so mad. I knew I wasn't going to get a refund so I took the 8 plugs, brought them down to PepBoys, cut in front of everyone in line and made a big scene.
Luckily a friend just happened to be there and noticed me with veins popping out of my forehead - he dragged me out of there just as I was about to jump over the counter and stuff each of those spark plugs where the sun don't shine.

I've calmed down since and I have reverted to doing any service to my vehicles myself. If I can't do it - then I talk to my regular mechanic (Leo over at Auto City in Manchester, NH in case anyone wants a recommendation for a good mechanic in southern NH ).

Its the same situation when you are getting your furnace "cleaned" or your septic "cleaned". Don't trust anyone you do not know!

Top Bottom