John Adams

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I ran across an HBO show titled "John Adams". I realize it's dramaticized for TV, but I find it very interesting, and it seems very fact-based. Without Mr Adams, it may have taken many more years to succeed from Great Britain (if ever). He really pushed the Continental Congress. Anyway, if you enjoy history, give it a look.

UPER

Reaction score
I have been watching it, pretty good show. Not much to watch since the 'Wire' ended a couple of weeks ago.

DanD

Reaction score
I have been watching it, it's pretty good.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
I haven't been watching it, but I did read the biography about him. I think it was by David McCullough. I also believe it is that book on which the movie is based.

I wasn't aware that John Adams had done all the stuff he did. It made for very interesting reading.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
It's a meaty biography for sure. JA did a lot for this country for sure.

I sure think HBO did a great job so far and have enjoyed the first three parts of seven. I was in a meeting with a couple guys who just got back from midtown NYC doing a demo for HBO corporate. I saw a "John Adam's" folder on his desktop and he said he have to kill anyone if they looked at the next 4 episodes...lol. So, the dude ended up with some HBO schwag that I didn't get a piece of dang it. He did say the rest of it was good tho.

And John Quincy Adams...piercing look:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Love history, specially war history. HBO has a short piece on how they made John Adams. McCullough said it was authentic right down to the chicken coops they made for the set. The woman running the set is a stickler for detail he said. The director also went for the how the elements, like the mud in a lot of the scenes, effected the actors and the real people in those times.

I liked Paul Giamotta acting the first time I saw him when he played "Pig Vomit" in Howard Stern's movie.

I still find myself in awe how the rabble of our country was able to beat the English, the most powerful army/navy in the world. I guess it adds weight to the argument about those defending their land and fighting for a cause are worth much more than conscripted troops.

Call me crazy but I see parallels to a revolution happening again in the near future in this country. Those patriots fought over taxation and their rights being denied, exactly what we are enduring right now.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I read the book when it came out five or six years ago. Good book, but I don't have HBO, so haven't watched the TV show.

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I guess I should find the book. Now that I've seen the show, makes me want to read the book. Adams doesn't seem to get near the recognition he deserves...at least not in the history classes I had.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Call me crazy but I see parallels to a revolution happening again in the near future in this country.[/b]
I wouldn't go so far as to call you crazy....

I do think that there is a lot to be said on the emphasis of "rights" and "natural liberties" that seem to be recurrent themes in the series...it seems as though our "rights", "freedoms" and so forth are shrinking over time in the almighty US of A. Combine that with the theory of "Unequal Distribution of Wealth" as per John Locke's definition thereof and you have a powder keg waiting for a spark IMO particularly if you look at the all-time high of 2% of the world owning 50% of the wealth.

Top Bottom