John Wayne Movies

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sitting her perusing the forums and watching "The Comancheros" on TV. Just got to thinking how good these John Wayne movies where. Some of my favoriates are "The Comancheros", "Rio Brovo", "Rio Lobo", "In Harms Way" just to name a few. Great movies and the whole family could watch them. I wish the Duke was still around to make more...of course he would be 100 year old now...(DOB - 5/26/1907). What's some of your Duke favorites?

ducslayer

Reaction score
I just watched "The Searchers" Two days ago,also hard to beat "Red River"...........Jim

Common Sense

Reaction score
I really liked "Big Jake", but it wasn't near as good as the Searchers or Red River. Sands of Iwo Jima was probably his best war movie.

Rodney Hood

Reaction score
That's easy..."The Shootist".

How ironic, his character had cancer as well.

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Sands of Iwo Jima was probably his best war movie.[/b]
I agree, although I really liked "In Harms Way" also.

Westerns...gotta be "The Searchers" or "Red River".

Gomer76825

Reaction score
Hard to pick one, but always loved McClintock, Big Jake, Rio Bravo, Hatari, true grit, The man who shot liberty Valance, the cowboys. I told you it would be hard for me to pick. The Duke is my all time favorite hands down, no question.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I personally like better Randolph Scott's movies...Not that I didn't enjoyed John Wayne's movies...

arizona hunter

Reaction score
My favorite movie of all-time is True Grit (I've even read the book 3 times & Glen Cambells character lives in it.). I also really like Hatari (Red Buttons was great) and North to Alaska. Just last week I watched Red River for the first time-he was mean.

I know there is no sub for John Wayne, but I also really like Tom Selleck as a cowboy, and I hope he will make more of them.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
The Searchers, Red River and the Man who shot Liberty Valance.
Ole Lee Marvin was something else in that flick.
I liked the Cowboys for the Music and Bruce Dern was a real turd in that one.

Not a Wayne movie but "The Big Country" was a good film.

barel74

Reaction score
Chisum, Hatari, The Cowboys, True Grit..... Too many to list. I can watch any John Wayne movie, at any time.

RVRKNG

Reaction score
Did you know the scenes in North to Alaska filmed at the cabin were filmed at hot creek in the eastern sierras! And the scene at the cabin in True Grit too!

Jeff M.

easymoney

Reaction score
Love all his films, especially the John Ford ones like "the quiet man" and "the searchers". Each frame is a painting and all the characters are classics...
Also a majority of his and other actors western movies were filmed out in the Owens Valley...

Tank

Reaction score
All mentioned are great.....my favorites are listed in no particular order

True Grit and Rooster Cogburn.....You gotta love an old, fat, one-eyed, tougher than nails, badass.

He reminds me of my grandfather. Big, strong, moutain-country fella, without a highschool diploma...but a wealth of life experience and practical know-how that made him a survivalist. He was born in 1901 and died when he was 92 yrs old. He hunted with us up until the end. (rambling, sorry)

Cowboys

The man who shot Liberty Valance

Rio Bravo

Rio Lobo

etc......

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I know you guys are not forgetting "Sons of Katie Elder", and "Three Godfathers" was pretty good too.

S&P

Reaction score
Rio Bravo because I loved The Duke and Dean Martin together. Especially loved Dean and Ricky Nelson singing "My Rifle, My Pony and Me". Dean made a great drunk and John didn't cut him any slack. I loved Walter Brennan in this one too.

Hatari is my all time favorite Duke movie.

code3punk

Reaction score
The man who shot liberty Valance,.. No question.........

shaman

Reaction score
The Shootist( I live by a code, I won't touch you, and I expect the same in return)!
Searchers....
Sons of Katie Elder(step up boys, who wants to buy a chance for my eye).
Rio Bravo/El doroado same movie :)

My daughter doesn't understand what I see in most of these old movies, she just sits there shaking her head and snickering at the cornyness.

arizona hunter

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shaman @ Mar 27 2008, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Shootist( I live by a code, I won't touch you, and I expect the same in return)!
Searchers....
Sons of Katie Elder(step up boys, who wants to buy a chance for my eye).
Rio Bravo/El doroado same movie :)

My daughter doesn't understand what I see in most of these old movies, she just sits there shaking her head and snickering at the cornyness.[/b]
You say your daughter does not understand what you see in these movies (my wife, too)....well for me one thing is clear; good is good and bad is bad. No "relativism" no "if you think it's right then it is" bunk. We see that taken to the exteme every day when people get beat up or even killed for their trendy jacket or basketball shoes. The stories are usually pretty clear cut-I like that.

Batch61

Reaction score
One movie that has popped uplately is Island in the sky. the duke goes down in a plane plane in a remote desert with his crew and has to survive until help arrives.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom