Joice Island Hunt Information

rodngun

Reaction score
Has anyone out there hunted the Joice Island refuge and can give me any hint of which area to hunt? I drew a reservation for December 23rd and definitely want to make the most of it. Any help is appreciated.

hntndux

Reaction score
It has been awhile since I've been drawn there, but I've always hunted the same spot with good results.  I hunt near the split between the two ponds.  At Joice, the rule of thumb is...the farther you walk, the better you'll do.  I like the end of the first pond, there's a big open pond towards the end and then some good potholes just past that.  A mountain bike is a plus if you have one because it's a long walk.  To get there I always hang a left after you walk over the bridge.  One small draw back is there's a yellow gate part way down that you have to go around, but other than that it's smooth sailing.  I think DFG is punishing me since I've only been drawn once since 96' when I got lucky and was drawn 6 out of the 8 Sundays!  Good luck!  ps. the big pond is good for cans if you want to get one, but beware of the septic tank mud and very deep ponds!

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
The spots hntndux states are good, just make sure you have weeds sticking out of the water if you want mallards. The open water won't attract them.If you hunt the first pond find a pothole in the tules. I hunted there 12/3 and the water was quite deep due to the rains. Upper waist to chest in the first pond; mid thigh in pond B. Usually it's waist in the first pond and knee high in pond B.

Top Bottom