Joyce Island Jr Hunt

CL&RR

Reaction score
My son Ben and I had a blast at Joyce Island. He just turned twelve a month ago and had been talking about how he couldn't wait till the fall to go deer and big game hunting. This kid has been my shadow since he was in a car seat and loves hunting so it was quite a surprise to him when I told him he'd be hunting big game sooner rather than later because he drew for this Jr hunt. Conditions were very tough as the entire island was flooded and there seemed to be a 6ft moat around the levees that made it almost impassable to get to any part of the center of the island. Most of the tracts were flooded so the only way to get to where you wanted to go was to walk the entire island. Ben didn't complain or whine the entire hunt and although we missed a big 200lb boar in the morning his spirit was high the entire day.

As the morning hunt had ended on Saturday I really just wanted to dry out and take a nap but Ben was persistent and told me we needed to walk back to the location we saw the pigs in the morning. We made the 3.5 miles back to that location and started to get on pigs right away. We busted a 75lb brown and blond phase pig at 70yards and he missed it shooting right over him, then two piglets busted out after that one followed by another 75lb brown pig, Ben had unloaded and chambered another shot into the single shot TC by this point and took another pop and shot right under this one. At this point I just encouraged him that it happened to fast and for us to keep working towards them. We never saw those smaller pigs again, but as we got to the back of the island I spotted with the binoculars two 100lb+ pigs wallowing beyond the tullies. We had tried to cross the moat earlier in our waders and found out real fast how deep it really was, so now we had to find a narrow that we could cross. Fortunately we did find a small narrow that was thigh high, we circled around the tullies and cattails, but realized that the more active boar was gone. At 50yrds we could see what we thought was burned out log, even with my Vortex Razor binos I couldn't make out that it was a pig because it was laying so still. Finally as we made our way to 25 yards I looked in the binos and could make out hair on our burnt out log, because we were less than 100yrds from where we thought he had missed his morning hog, we automatically thought this was the pig he shot and that it had died. As we were high fiving it gets up and this is when we realized this sow was just taking a deep slumber. It raises it's head looks at us, I tell Ben to cock the hammer and take it, the pig takes one step towards us like it's going to charge then runs away, just as it runs I hear the gun go off and a squeal from the pig. Ben put the perfect heart shot on a running pig and it piled up 10yards from the shot. As I was gutting the pig and cutting away the diaphragm the heart just slips out of the chest cavity, he had severed the heart, lucky shot I told him. It was 4pm, I gutted the pig, gave him both hind quarters and I packed 3/4 of the pig into my Kuiu 7200 pack and we made a brutal hike back, arriving at the truck at 7:45pm. This hunt gave Ben a proper introduction into big game hunting for sure. I'm a super proud dad as this kid warriored up big time.

Last edited:

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Fantastic! Congratulations to and your Son Ben and way to stick with it, sounds like Ben has good intuition! Great photos to!

hntndux

Reaction score
Way to get it done, congrats to you and your boy!!!!

Planetcat

Reaction score
My son and I had the pleasure of meeting Cha and his son on this hunt. I have to give them a lot of credit for their persistence. We peeled out of there at 7:00 pm and there truck was still there. It was a hard hunt and the pigs were hunkered down tight. Hiking over 10 miles on sloppy ground with waders on is brutal. Congrats to you both on a nice hog!

CL&RR

Reaction score
My son and I had the pleasure of meeting Cha and his son on this hunt. I have to give them a lot of credit for their persistence. We peeled out of there at 7:00 pm and there truck was still there. It was a hard hunt and the pigs were hunkered down tight. Hiking over 10 miles on sloppy ground with waders on is brutal. Congrats to you both on a nice hog!
We saw you guys leaving..at that time we were still over at the tree line with packs that seemed like they kept getting heavier. It was a pleasure meeting up with you and your son as well.

Planetcat

Reaction score
We saw you guys leaving..at that time we were still over at the tree line with packs that seemed like they kept getting heavier. It was a pleasure meeting up with you and your son as well.
We got skunked. I should have taken your advice to go out to that end of the property. We headed that way around 2:30 pm, but then looped around to the slough to catch the high tide again. If I had known where you guys were, we would have stayed to help you pack that thing out and you could have used our game cart. That pig you got is well deserved. I bet your son has the "bug" now. You won't be able to keep him from wanting to go all the time. We're extremely happy for you guys. I love to see kids connect on game.

k_rad

Reaction score
Man is there anything better than THAT!!!??? HAhaha. Missing that first pig was a blessing. This makes a way better story! Hitting a running pig in the heart man your son must be floating on air! Congratulations!
KR

scottmarine

Reaction score
Awesome story! Congrats on a great hunt! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
Thank you for the great story ! I knew that it is a hard hunt no matter what . Your son is a trooper ! He will never, ever forget that hunt and what you made happen for him ! Its hard country to traverse ! Mud , waist high tulies , mud , sweat and burning leg muscles, cold wet feet ETC. You have made a young hunter into a man .

I grew up in my high school years at the Grizzly Island F&G headquarters. My dad was the Elk management biologist there. We lived right at the check in station.
Grizz and Joice were my old stomping grounds but I never took a hog there.

Great job guys !! Keep your son's fever alive ! Teach it to other yunguns.

BOW

cjack

Reaction score
Great story! Congratulations to Ben and good job dad on getting him out at an early age. I really enjoy the success stories of young kids.

CL&RR

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Here's the vlog for the hunt. Enjoy and give it a thumbs up. I'm not a pro by any means so camera work is kind of shaky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOfIWlGcmY&feature=youtu.be

KTKT70

Reaction score
Congrats to you both. Real cool to read a story like that. I can't wait to get my son out in the field with me. Your boy is going to remember this hunt for life. Great job dad. BBQ time!!

Top Bottom