Jr. Hunt Results

Jay

Reaction score
This morning my 13 year-old hunted a private club SE of Los Banos. It was big water and no cover outside the blinds. My son managed 4 birds, three of which were pass shots at birds skirting the outer edge of the decoys. His shooting was much improved over last year's junoir hunt where he didn't hit a thing. He told me he had a great time.... which goes a long way.

bandblaster

Reaction score
hunted in a friends field today and very early i think it was about 3 miniutes after shoot time we had a lone goose come in and it turned out to be a speck i hamered it at 20 yards over the honker decoys 2nd in 20 years out of the circle of friends never saw anything else :)

steve

Reaction score
Good for your son Jay,at least he couldn't have you claiming his birds.Andrew made a nice shot on a Speck and dropped it clean with one shot.He should of nailed another but got a little anxious and moved to soon and flared the geese.Will not be able to get out Sun.Facing another long,long off season.

grizz

Reaction score
My 14 yr. old got two mallards and a sprig.  We walked on to LDC @ shoot time.  We were the only ones hunting out parking lot 1. The mallards were there early, but were gone(high) fast.  With only a couple more ops. for them after that.  Packed up  there @ 10:30 and drove to lot 3.  Hung out, had a snack there @ 1/2 hr. didn't hear a shot,  or see many ducks.
I'll just say he (we) lost a couple.  We left with a hen mallard and a bull sprig.  
We were at Gray Lodge by noon.  There was a nice lady there from CWA.  She gave my boy a hat, and took a picture of us with the two birds from LDC. Than put it in a nice paper frame with DFG/CWA logo on it.  I looked at her name tag, I'm not sure now but I think her name was Kelly, anyway thanks. That was cool, and the wife said she taking it to put in her cube at work.
Anyway, by 1:00 were in the pond, north of the east side closed zone.  No one else, we got the whole pond.  There were a lot more ducks flying, then at LDC.  We put five pairs of mallard deks @ 100 yr. sq. area.  The mallards were spooky he managed a drake.  Lost a widgeon, other than only a couple mallards and one pair of widgeon, only sprig would work.  They worked pretty good, but he had his.  I could tell he was a little frustrated.  The only goose op. he had, he missed.
We were on the road home @4:00 with three ducks.  It was a great day just him and I, but he was a little bummed cause he knew he should have had a limit.
I think we should have stayed home and shoot the pond.  Probably will tomorrow!
The gray lodge avg. was @ 4. acording to the checkout guy.  I don't think LDC did that good.  

Fubar

Reaction score
Way to go you guys. Thats great you are getting the kids into the outdoors. They are the future. Thanx for the reports. Did you get any pics?         Fubar

Jay

Reaction score
Gotta see the picture of Andrew and his goose. I'll bet he was one happy guy.

All Jared's birds were one-shot wonders. He'd shoot and I'd wonder....... then the bird would drop!

Tasha the curly-Q'd retriever came a long and she retrieved all 4 birds.  

MQ

Reaction score
Glad to hear your son got some birds. I'm over in Japan right now and I dont even know how my son did. He went with a friend to a club in the sink they apparently drew. Its real tough to communicate here with a 17 hour time difference. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow how the boys did...

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
My son got 5 ducks and a speck saturday at Delevan. He should of had 2 specks but he just watched as he dropped 1 out of a locked up decoying group of 10 @ 20 yds. My friend and his son laughed as I yelled "Shoot another, shoot another." It was his first goose. Today he got a snow there.

Darren

Reaction score
Hey grizz is there a chance you met a kid that talked about shooting a hen pintail think it was a widgeon because of the whistle? But anyways I hunted LDC both days and on saturday I went in with lotto #5 and got to parking lot #3 we were the second ones out there and got the spot we wanted under the #10 space blind and set up and about 15 mins later some yahoos come set up little over 60 yards away from us!!! I went to talk to them and told them I hunted this pond before and did good shootin to the north more so I went back shooting time rolled around and there were tons of birds mostly widgeon and pintails and some gads. Anyway I dropped a hen pintail then the moment I climbed back in the blind 2 geese flew over and I said "hey man, those are specs!" I dropped my very first one ever and it had a ton of bars on it. Eventually I shot a few more ducks and there were more geese than ducks there. Anyway after I shot 5 ducks or so another pair of specs floated by!!! So I dropped another with tons of bars on it. I had to wait till about 11 or so until I limited out. Then on the way out another 5 specs floated by well withing range this was the best I have ever seen it! Also just as we were starting to pick up another set of yahoos pull up about 60 yards away! Well I walked out with 7 ducks 1 hen pintail a pair of widgeon 2 drake gads 1 hen mallard and a hen green winged teal. I went sunday and got the same spot but only got a greenhead still more geese than ducks I think.

Jay

Reaction score
Right on Darren! I told ya that spot behind 10 was red hot. Sounds like a few other guys found it this year.

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
My 11 year-old daughter shot Wister Sat and Sun firing a total of 2.5 boxes of 3" 20ga #2's for a grand total of 1 snow goose. Sat she shot 1.5 boxes for zilch and Sunday she kept missing as the snows were cupped and locked up into the dekes. After missing about 6 of them I told her on the next one let it land and she capped it. All her shots were within 15 yards she shot behind them in front of them and to the side of them, it was hilarious. I told Raymond that next year they should let the parents shoot back up. Raymond said they should let the check station staff shoot back up ,lol.

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
My ten year old had a pretty good year duck hunting this season, but what he is still most excited about is the Sunday junior hunts.  Both the NE and yesterday's Sunday junior hunts found him with limits of specks.  The kid just loves shooting and eating specks.  Along with the geese he shot 11 ducks this weekend.  Boy I wish they had these junior hunts 30 years ago.  Of course back then we didn't really need them.  Kids hunted & fished a lot with the adults before the dawn or Nitendo & Euro-sport (soccer).  I quess these days it takes a little work to get kids afield.  I am just thankful my son loves the outdoors and jumps at hunting, fishing & camping when ever possible.

(Edited by Mike Riley at 3:51 pm on Jan. 28, 2002)

grizz

Reaction score
Darren, it wasn't us you talked with.  As a matter fact we didn't talk to anyone at LDC except the check station folks.  We were alone in the field all morning and no one came out while we were at lot 3.
Sounds like you had a great shoot.  That's great!

Soccer Dad

Reaction score
We had a great time.  My 12 year old had a slow start.  We had an invite to a Butte Sink club.  It was beautiful, he had a great time.  The ducks weren't cooperating.  We couldn't get them close.  He ended at noon with two greenheads.  I asked if he wanted to finish the day at LDC and he went for it.  We got to parking lot #3 at 3:00 pm.  He ended the last two hours with two more greenheads, a bull sprig and a snow goose.  He was really happy with his shooting and the amount of birds flying there.  

Sunday we were in a D 10 club and it was a little slower.  He did shoot extremely well.  He doubled on the only pair of Mallards to come in.  He added a bull sprig, GW teal and drake Spoonie to make it a colorful bag.  

He was so Jazzed about the weekend.  Now he is feeling the offseason blues.  He told me tonight it will be hard waiting nine months for the season again.

jerry d

Reaction score
Congratulations to all the Jr. hunters.

Hit or miss, sounds like you all had fun......

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom