Just Got Home From Maui....Success

vogel002

Reaction score
Just got home from an incredible trip over to Maui that I had won through work. With them fronting the lion share of the bill I decided that I would splurge for a guided Axis hunt while I was on the Island. With scouting trips being out the question and the added pressure of timing with the fiance with me I thought this would be the best call. I certainly wasn't disappointed, Pat fisher of Hawaii Safaris was an incredible guide and a damn cool guy to hunt with. We met before the butt crack of dawn and I got in his truck and we were off to go do some hunting. Unfortunately the weather wasn't ideal with rain squalls and wind pushing us around. Going into this I didn't have a strong idea of what kind of terrain we would be in but it was a bit of a shocker to be crossing flowing streams, boggy fields and scraping up muddy banks. Being from CA we just don't get that very often, the early morning started off slow as i'm told the Axis hate the rain. We opted to hike up to a good vantage point and glass and glass and then glass some more. I was able to spot a good buck moving through an open spot in a thick draw and rushed to get into a good position to make the shot should he show up further down. Waited and waited but nothing, after the slower start to the morning the weather cleared and we opted for a scenery change. I had spotted a good buck about a mile off walking away and we decided to go down there and take a look. After moving about a mile down the canyon we ended up coming across a huge herd of deer 20+ that had one good buck smack dab in the middle. At the time we were up above them and quickly moved into position, after setting up and getting my self collected I was behind the gun and ready to pull the trigger as soon as he moved into a better position away from some does. At that moment another buck jumps out of the thick stuff and runs right towards him, after the initial panic that the opportunity was about to be blown we recognized that this new buck was a bit better with deeper forks up top and a bit more mass. At this point I was ready and wasted little time on putting 165 grains in his front shoulder and putting him down where he stood. The hunt was an incredible part on an amazing trip and an experience i'll keep with me forever. Cheers gentlemen and thanks for the read.
Cheers,
M.V.
View attachment 85159View attachment 85160

jls456

Reaction score
That's a awesome buck. Good for you.

solus

Reaction score
Beatiful looking deer man. I would send it to a taxidermist and get it mounted.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Lucky u! Sounds like u had a great adventure over there and congrats We use to have regular jho members awhile back from Hawaii that always posted and they were always great hunting stories and photos for sure. That axis looks like a good record book buck if u ask me......tra

mattys281

Reaction score
Congrats, he's a brute!

I've often thought about hunting Hawaii, seems like a good trip to bring the Mrs. on for a combo hunt/vacation. How do you transport the meat & hide back home, will the guide help or a butcher??? Curious. Thanks!

vogel002

Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes gentlemen, he is being shipped to my taxidermist as we speak and I can not wait to see him come back. I'm doing a wall pedestal so I see more of that gorgeous cape, and i'd estimate he taped out at 31-32. Matt, the guide helped process the meat and recommended if i wanted to bring it all back to buy a cooler there and check it as baggage with the frozen meat inside. I donated the majority of the meat to my guide and his friends but he froze the tenderloins, backstraps and some ground burger meat that i threw in a cooler bag and tucked into my check in baggage. The meat made it over perfect and I had Axis Steaks when i got home, which happened to be the best tasting game to date. I would recommend this hunt to anyone and +1 for someone trying to hunt while on a trip with the wife. While i was hunting, my lady was at the spa enjoying herself and followed that up by reading by the pool. Perfect for everyone.

Cheers,
MV

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
On Maui no less, not even Lanai...very nice buck. Congratulations!!

Wild1

Reaction score
Awesome buck!! Well done M, he's gonna look great in the man cave!

Felq

Reaction score
You don't mess around! Congrats again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom