wddamf

Reaction score
I followed the plans and built 2 home brew game cams - just got the first of my pics back - one buck and 3 pics of the same doe.  Here's my question - how do you interpret what the pics are telling and is this the correct forum for such a question?  I placed the cam on a pretty obvious trail and left it there for 7 days.  Caught the buck on day 2 and the doe 3 days later.  Both deer passed the camera around 9:30 am.  Nothing at night like I thought there would be.  What can be deduced - is this more/average/less traffic than should be expected?  Does the fact that all traffic was during the day tell us anything?  Thanks!  And thanks for the game cam plans!  This is the most fun I've had since I was a little kid at Christmas!  

davered1

Reaction score
About all I could deduce from that would be weather ot not the buck you got was a shooter. hehehe

I would swap trails for another week and see if you can get more movement than 3.Try by feeding areas and beddung areas,then after you find more traffic (3 deer in 7 days isn't much) try and pattern times form about 5 or more rolls.

If you can set out place out a feeder(I use a 4" pipe 6' long),keep it there for a couple of weeks with food in it and see whats around.I set my cam up away from feeder to get deer walking by( big guys don't like to come in)

Takes a long time to pattern deer.

Stever

Reaction score
From what I have been doing I would say that you found the daytime deer that I dream of. Are you in the bedding area where they spend day sleeping. Or was it a fluke that the deer got pushed through? Congrats on your cams. This is more fun then Christmas morning.

knothead

Reaction score
i would say you found the right trail to hunt....now go shot that buck.

wddamf

Reaction score
The trail where I placed the cam is on the edge of a thicket where it meets a swampy clear cut.  The thicked is about 10 acres large and is bordered by clear cut and/or a power line right of way, so it's "isolated".  This trail may be a travel corridor - deer may also be bedding in the thicket as well - I don't really know.  Unfortunately, the buck appears to be not-legal on our lease where we have a 6 point min. rule - but there's always next year!

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I agree, I don't think their is anything wrong with the amount of photo's you got, only that this trail is producing daylight activity this time of year. It also says that your camera is probably working correctly, you didn't get a bunch of "false" pictures, or a whole roll of film on a ....field mouse. I rotate my camera's every two to three days, because of high activity here in the "burbs", less chance of someone finding them, and there are times when I get 0 hits in a few days, then I get paranoid that something blew up, and now my camera isn't working, so I'll waste a picture, taking a test photo. And it works, so, some trails just don't get used as hard. I would rotate it often, to find out what trails are being used more frequently, it's great to pattern deer in an area that way. Congradulations on the cam and photo's.

Top Bottom