Just Gotta' Say Thanks!!

u turned em

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I just finished the camera and I just had to say thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.  This is the first one, and it's likely more will follow just as soon as I can come up with more explanations to my wife why I keep walking in the door with more stuff from RS, WalMart, Home Depot, and Lowes!

I would especially like to thank Hillhopper, AEH, Davered1, ******, for their repeated assistance.  I used AEH's method to mount the MS20 in the box/behind the fresnell.  This is an easy and surefire method that allows you to square up/line up the pir and the lens so that there's not much trial and error to get it adjusted.  If you have not already tried it, y'all should!

I'll get it out into the woods this weekend, so it will be a couple of weeks before I get to check it for pics. Again, thanks to everyone!

shadow

Reaction score
Congradulations!!!  Once you start you won't be able to stop.  Looking forward to your pics.  It's great building one yourself isn't it?  You get a sence of accomplishment that you never had before.  Especially if you have never done anything like this before.  Everyone I have delt with on JHP is so encouraging and HELPFULL.

u turned em

Reaction score
I'll try this for practice until I can get some critter pictures.......posting pic. of new camera...

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Good looking camera.  How big are those box's.   I like the camo too.   sometimes simpler is better.  Bet you can't wait two weeks

u turned em

Reaction score
The boxes are a 6"x6"x4" and a 4"x4"x4" and are the "Carlon" brand "marine" watertight boxes from Home Depot and Lowes.  They have a rubber (neoprene?) gasket that fits into the lids. To join them, I made a paper template for four rivet holes and one large hole to run the wires through and drilled the holes so that they would match up.  Then I applied lots of "GOOP" marine contact adhesive/sealant, stuck them together and put pop rivets through the aligned holes. Very snug and very watertight.  AEH - your blue outlet boxes for the PIR fit just about perfect on the inside of the 4x4x4 lid.  Thanks again.  

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Congrats. We will all be looking forward to the pics. It is addictive. I have built five now and my wife thinks that is enough. Maybe after the season I'll play with a new one but need to keep these out in the woods now. MC.

u turned em

Reaction score
****** and all.......

The camera will to the woods of middle-west Georgia this weekend.  I'll try to wait two weeks to go back because it's about 1.5 hrs. from home......we'll just have to wait and see how long I can stand to wait!  Then, we'll hopefully post pics.  

BYE THE WAY.......I don't think that I've seen any comments on the boards regarding how to be sure that you have the camera pointed in the direction that you want since the viewfinder is now closed in.  My camera is aligned so that the long axis of the camera body (and therefore the shutter and lens) is exactly parallel to the back of the box.  The pir is aligned similarly.  So........I guess its up to "eye-balling" the box in the right direction.  Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this?  Thanks.

shufigo

Reaction score
I just eyeball where the box is pointing.  We're talking animals in the woods here. I really don't care if the deer is in the left center of the photo instead of dead center. Horse shoes, hand grenades and nukes . and cams... close enough is good enough in all 4 cases.

u turned em

Reaction score
Thanks Shugigo!    Kind of sounds like the way some of my huntin' friends aim their rifles!:crazy-eyes:

Top Bottom