Just Pictures

Jon Bain

Reaction score
All pictures except the last were taken in my back yard with my home made motion sensor camera.  Even with the short distance due to day time heat, I still get some good photos now and then.

This is a young buck that frequents the area right behind my house.

This is the first time I’ve captured this doe on film in the back yard.

I also have some ring tails visiting in the early morning hours.

They seem to like it there.

This is a fawn my friend found bedded as he was doing a survey.  He went back to his truck and got the camera to take this great picture.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Jon - That's a good little trail camera you have there. I'm getting so many pics with it that I'm going broke developing & scanning. Did you read my reply to the other thread about moving the fresnal lens to the outside of the enclosure for 100% at 21 feet?

Fubar

Reaction score
Great pics. Thanx for sharing them.         Fubar

jayber

Reaction score
Nice pics Jon!  Is that at Pennco-style feeder hanging from the tree?  I just finished making one and need to get some shelled corn to test it out.  What are you feeding, mineral supplements?

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Richard I did read that and I am thinking of trying that on the second unit I have.  I was beginning to think that the camera was getting stuck, but on this 12 exposure roll of film I tested it two times by walking in front of it once and waving my hand in front of it once.  The camera and sensor work fine, it's just the wildlife is not cooperating.  I'm sure I could move it to a better spot and get more pictures.  The pictures that look crooked are because the coons or squirrels like to knock it a round when climbing the tree it is on.

Jayber, that is a Moultrie feeder.  One someone abandoned on one of the clubs I help run.  The box on the bottom was smashed and missing its cover.  No one claimed it for over a year so I brought it home and fixed it up to sling corn.  I am looking for soybeans to mix in with the corn, but will replace this feeder with a gravity feed trough type.

I personally like the fawn picture.  It is a great picture.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Great pic, especially the fawn.  My wife saw the picture and just said " Awwwwwwww, isn't it precious!" followed closely by a slap in the back of the head and the remark "I can't believe you hunt those cute, defenceless little creatures".  And this is coming from a woman who likes venison more than I do.  I just don't understand them sometimes????????

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Great pics Jon. You can really see how that fawn's spots help camouflage it. I remember my first Camtrakker pics of coons, I though it was great to see animals on film. After 4 billion more coon pics I have changed my opinion of them. I wish our sensors had a anti-coon switch sometimes.

tdixon

Reaction score
NICE PICS DUDE.  JUST A LITTLE TIP FROM A YOUNG PRO. IF YOU PLAN TO HUNT  THAT SPOT, HANG YOUR FEEDER HIGH ( 30 TO 40 FEET) WITH THE SET- UP YOU GOT THERE IN THE PICS. THE DEER WILL BE MORE RELAXED TO COME NEAR DURING SHOOTING HOURS. ( HINT:THEY CANT SEE THE FEEDER.):ideablue  

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Well, I already got another roll developed.  It had coons, coons, some more coons, a squirrel, that same doe came in on the 26th at 3:00 AM, 7:00 AM and 11:00 PM, and that little buck showed up too.  I just got half of the buck’s face as he looked at the camera.  The picture is funny looking with an eye, an ear, and that one long velvet covered antler.

Every time my wife looks at the pictures she just laughs at the coons.  She thinks their cute and just can’t believe what camera hogs they are.

I don’t think I’ll be hunting here, but I would like to get the feeder higher though.  I think the thing throws out too much corn right now and I am going to try and modify it by moving the spreader a little closer to the funnel where the corn comes out.  Once I do that I may look at moving it higher if I can find a tree that I can hang it on.  

I’ve walked up on many a bedded fawns like the one pictured, but never had a camera with me.  One year when bow hunting I climbed down a tree after a morning hunt and was preparing to leave when I heard a faint fawn bleat.  I turned to see a little spotted fawn coming my way.  It stopped short and bleated a few times looking for it mother.  Finally after a while it went back the way it had come so I started easing off when it came running back.  I think it heard me walking and thought I was its mother.  This time it got so close to me I could have literally reached out and touched it.  I’m in full camo, face mask and all, standing there motionless looking at this fawn thinking, “Go away”.  It even looked at me and bleated.  Finally it trotted off looking for mom.  I finally slipped out of there.  Times like that I wish I had my camera.  

Top Bottom