Kaibab Archery Draw

BOHNTR

Reaction score
The Arizona G&F commission met yesterday to hear public opinion on the proposed deer hunts for 2008-09. The longest discussion apparently held attention to the Kaibab North and Strip units. Despite a few folks opposing the draw this year since they have already purchased OTC archery tags in January, the Commission approved the draw for ALL units North of the Colorado River. A few units South of the river as well. The White Tanks (unit 42) also lost their December archery hunt.

Here's the tag #'s approved:

Kaibab (12A E/W) 1000 tags
Strip (13B) 30 tags approved

REMINDER**-ALL drawn tags are subject to the 10% non-resident rule. Which basically means there are 100 non-resident tags (maximum) for the Kaibab and 3 for the Strip.

pschultheis

Reaction score
Even if there is a rebound returning that area to half of what it was 20 years ago this will be awesome. Not to mention hunting with so few people, and yes, for the Kaibab 1000 is so few people. I will be applying in about 3 years.

BOHNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Even if there is a rebound returning that area to half of what it was 20 years ago this will be awesome. Not to mention hunting with so few people, and yes, for the Kaibab 1000 is so few people. I will be applying in about 3 years.[/b]
I guess the only problem I have with it is the department basically took 1000 archery tags and gave it to the rifle hunters. Let me explain why.

It was estimated there were just over 2000 archery hunters on the Bab' last year with an estimated 10% success rate. (200 deer taken) When they made it a draw and allocated 1000 archery tags while increasing rifle hunts by 1000 you basically just INCREASED the estimated amount of bucks killed, as the rifle success is far higher than 10%.

I would have rather seen them put 1500 archery tags, schedule NO doe hunts, and keep the rifle tag numbers where they were. If you really want it to improve, they need to reduce the amount of overall deer taken. JMO

Coues

Reaction score
One of the quotes from the commission -

"we have no sympathy for the archers..."

Raully

Reaction score
Sounds like bad news. I was hoping To hunt to archery hunt that place some day. Looks like the future for the deer heard is not good.

Coues

Reaction score
Our Dem Gov has managed to get two lion lovers on the commission also. They both voted to stop killing lions in the areas that the G&F are trying to bolster the sheep herd.

pschultheis

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BOHNTR @ Apr 20 2008, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Even if there is a rebound returning that area to half of what it was 20 years ago this will be awesome. Not to mention hunting with so few people, and yes, for the Kaibab 1000 is so few people. I will be applying in about 3 years.[/b]
I guess the only problem I have with it is the department basically took 1000 archery tags and gave it to the rifle hunters. Let me explain why.

It was estimated there were just over 2000 archery hunters on the Bab' last year with an estimated 10% success rate. (200 deer taken) When they made it a draw and allocated 1000 archery tags while increasing rifle hunts by 1000 you basically just INCREASED the estimated amount of bucks killed, as the rifle success is far higher than 10%.

I would have rather seen them put 1500 archery tags, schedule NO doe hunts, and keep the rifle tag numbers where they were. If you really want it to improve, they need to reduce the amount of overall deer taken. JMO
[/b][/quote]

Wow, I guess my understanding was a bit superficial. You are right, this is really not a great thing. But I will say, hunting the Kaibab with half the people sounds pretty good as long as there are deer there.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Anyone that has hunted the Kaibab 10 or more years ago knows what kind of shape it's in. There is no bright future for the Kaibab. I'm all for the draw but the increase in gun tags makes no sense to me. I have no plans to apply for a Kaibab archery tag any time soon. Ed F

richardoutwest

Reaction score
I have been going there for the past twenty years, it all started to change after the "BIG BURN"! The doe hunts were ridiculous, a complete massacre! Duwane really likes it now that it burned, I don't! I remember seeing 60 to 80 good bucks in a day. The Kaibab will never be the same, for those of us that were lucky enough to see it in it's prime will only have memories. There are still some great buck and always will be, but it still will not be like it was back then. For that matter Arizona will never be the way that it was, the change has started!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The Bab is a great place to hunt and film, awesome forest to roam. The turkey and deer huntin has sucked for a long time though as some have already pointed out. The recent severe drought hasn't helped either.

Love to see AGFD bring it back to like how it was in the olden days.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
thats a real bummer,kinda spreads like a bad rash dont it?
im gettin itchy just reading it

you always have good old california to come hunt

brut

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coues @ Apr 20 2008, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Our Dem Gov has managed to get two lion lovers on the commission also. They both voted to stop killing lions in the areas that the G&F are trying to bolster the sheep herd.[/b]

Sounds like AZ is taking a page from CA on the lions. Hopefully they dont stay in there current position too long.

AZ Jim

Reaction score
I have been hunting the Kaibab since I was twelve and tagging along with my dad up there since I was five. I have seen it fluctuate up and down over the years, but I feel the number and quality of deer has decreased on average to date. That being said I have seen more bucks in the past two years than I have seen in the last 20 years.

If the AZGFD felt it necessary to control the archery hunt they should not have transferred the equal number permits over to the rifle hunt. This will only further negatively impact the deer herd.

Two additional negatives will come from the draw hunt for archery in Kaibab.....

1) - Small businesses in Fredonia, and the likes of Jacobs Lake Inn, North Rim Country Store, Kaibab Camper Village and Winchester's Kaibab Lodge will suffer economic impacts. The archery hunt brought many families into the area. Many would use the late summer bow hunt as an opportunity for family get togethers and vacations during the hunt.

2) The Kaibab archery hunt was a great place to introduce your kids to bowhunting. There were always deer to see and it kept the kids excited and interested. If the kids see deer, and have a chance at a shot they will remain interested in the sport. Their interest in the sport is the future of hunting. You can go other places in AZ and hunt all week just to see a deer.

All of that being said it will be nice to hunt in a less pressured environment. Just hope their are still a lot of nice bucks to see in future.

AZ Jim

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom